Marquise Spruill

slider

I plead ignorance as to the abilities and measurables of Marquise Spruill. I know TD felt he was worth a trade up for . We didn't get to see what he had before he went down and all I see is a guy that, in this system, size wise is closer to safety than LB. Is he a stud waiting to happen? Is he convertible to safety (undersized LB's usually have safety experience in their past). Is he a mis-match for the current system and gets cut or is this a case where a few years down the line someone bumps this topic and I look foolish for suggesting these things about a perennial pro bowl LB'er? Can't quite get a handle on where he fits.

Hopefully he can amount to something but I'm holding out zero expectations from him. I don't know if he was really any good to start with, compound that with his injury. Anything from him at all is just an extra bonus for us

After I posted this topic, I researched some more and found an article from before the Smith coaching staff was fired saying that he was in the process of trying to add 15 pounds of muscle weight before his return for 2015. No telling how that comes out but I guess the safety conversion is out the window.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/11/12/7208261/marquis-spruill-bulking-up-with-an-eye-on-2015

Edited by slider

Jay Adams @FalconsJAdams Dec 15

Smith: Rookie LB Marquis Spruill has put on about 20 pounds of muscle since injury.

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23 Nov 12

Falcons rookie LB Marquis Spruill, on season-ending IR (ACL), weighed in at 241 pounds today. He came to the Falcons weighing 220.

D. Orlando Ledbetter @DOrlandoAJC Jul 29

@YA_BOI_B_REDD: how does marquis spruill look so far ? I like this work ethic especially if it trhttp://youtu.be/_mQ1zbiBiqk”<-sleek & fast

We dont know... He actually fits the type of LB coach likes..... He is one of those guys that can be a better pro then he was a college player... But at the end of the day ... We dont know

After I posted this topic, I researched some more and found an article from before the Smith coaching staff was fired saying that he was in the process of trying to add 15 pounds of muscle weight before his return for 2015. No telling how that comes out but I guess the safety conversion is out the window.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/11/12/7208261/marquis-spruill-bulking-up-with-an-eye-on-2015

Not to be a dlck, but how did you not find this before making this thread? It's the fourth link if you just google "Marquis Spruill".

Drafting a LB at 220lbs...seems nuts. Who does that?

He weigh-in at 231lbs at his proday ... IDK did he get sick or what but he lost weight when he came to camp

Some interesting info from his proday

That answer likely won't come until the summer, if Spruill gets a camp invite. He said teams have mentioned the possibility of playing as a nickel back, and he participated in one defensive backs drill Wednesday involving backpedaling and hip flexion.

"They liked my speed, my weight improvement," Spruill said. "They like me as an athlete and player."

Said Hicks: "Some people are looking at him as a nickel linebacker because of his speed and running on third down. He's going to be a good special teams player. He has played all over the field and is very versatile."