Scouts Have Concerns With S Ray

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now mchshays stuff is new:

ESPN's Todd McShay has "cooled" on Missouri edge rusher Shane Ray as he's watched more game film on him.

"He has elite speed and first-step quickness for an edge rusher, but I haven't seen much of a power element to his game -- and when you look at the top pass-rushers in the NFL right now, almost all of them possess the ability to win with power," McShay wrote. "He has a great motor and was very productive at Missouri, but his sack totals are a little misleading, as a lot came against lesser competition." Ray now ranks as the No. 15 overall prospect on McShay's board. At one time, Ray looked like a top-10 lock. At this point, he looks more like a mid-first-rounder.

Source: ESPN Insider Mar 21 - 8:33 PM

The tape never lies. Don't understand why that always get lost.

Thing is. Highlights are hard to catch if you are only looking at the sacks. Its what you don't pay attention to normally that has more of the story. I kept thinking something was wrong every time I saw it. JA98 was more obvious, but Ray isn't so much.

My bad I guess I missed this.

Nope, McShay's notes make it worth the click.

Thing is. Highlights are hard to catch if you are only looking at the sacks. Its what you don't pay attention to normally that has more of the story. I kept thinking something was wrong every time I saw it. JA98 was more obvious, but Ray isn't so much.

Oh I'm not talking highlights, the actual game breakdowns. A lot of people here watch highlights of players and focus on 40s, VJs and broad jumps, but ignore what the player is actually doing and how he's doing it.

I remember when Ray was first brought up in the Draft & Free Agency forum. I saw him as more of a 2nd rounder before a top 10 pick.

That's fine, you can find similar articles, or you will before draft day, on all the prospective top 10-15 picks. They'll start tearing down every single players game, all of them have flaws.

Really don't know if Ray will be the next great pass rusher or not, don't follow the college game much. Really rely on what I read here from the posters I trust on the best prospects.

Oh I'm not talking highlights, the actual game breakdowns. A lot of people here watch highlights of players and focus on 40s, VJs and broad jumps, but ignore what the player is actually doing and how he's doing it.

I remember when Ray was first brought up in the Draft & Free Agency forum. I saw him as more of a 2nd rounder before a top 10 pick.

This is true.

That's where I see ray... A late first/2nd round talent

I'm just gonna sit back and wait and watch all the Shane Ray nutt huggers , no talent evaluating, only highlight tape watching people come out like

"Oh well who cares we like shane "STIFF" Ray tatts!

Smh we always get it wrong I hope we don't this time

Edited by GvGrizzy

I actually like Gregory. I think he and Beasley are the only two I would take at #8. Then Fowler. Then Ray. Then Dupree.

Gregory is like the prototype for what we look for. Long arms (Quinn), freak athlete (Pioli), great 3 cone (TD). Would be surprised if he isn't the pick unless Beasley is on the board.

That site is a bit of a gem if you want to get a lot of perspectives. If you search on a given player and click "More 'xxxxxxx' Player News" at the bottom, you see a whole list of comments and quotes. Reading through, I took away:

1. Fowler: The safe bet?

2. Beasley: Everyone is high on him now.

3. Ray: 1st rounder but concerns about combine/Pro Day results and thin lower frame.

4. Gregory: Lots of potential but concerns about weight and overall lanky frame.

5. Dupree: Potential but very raw.

Edited by Monolith2001