Mock Draft 3.0 And 3.1 (3.1 Has Trade Scenario) Warning Long Read

MSalmon

Mock Draft 3.0 & 3.1 (3.1 has trade scenario)

Our 5 major roster holes are as follows IMO:

1) edge rusher

2) Free Safety

3) Running back

4) Linebacker (maybe swapped with running back)

5) Left Guard (maybe higher, but could be mid round with zbs)

--NOTE: maybe LG solution is on roster?

Other minor holes:

1) TE

---minor because I'm not sold that we need an elite TE..more a good one that can catch and block...tamme also fills that hole short term. If Moeaki is healthy--we're golden

2) WR

--I think Hankerson with Ryan as QB may end up being a great signing. Still, it's a good draft to get a talented WR late

3) Base DE

--you know the bigger stout guy on the left side...goodman is someone to consider and we have TJax...but this could still be an area we at least add depth. A healthy Clayborn may be fine as well

*************************************************************************************

Free Agency is what it is..barring a crazy (although I'd love it) trade for J. Houston...the rest of Free Agency is either a depth signing, or get lucky vet starter signing due to salary cap cuts from other teams

**************************************************************************************

DRAFT Scenario A:

Who we end up really depends on Mariota. Does he go at number 2? Does he last until the Jets or even bears pick?

1) Tampa Bay: Jameis Winston, QB FL State

--No brainer. The Sucs need a QB. He's the best available

2) Tennessee: Leonard Williams DE/DT USC

--Titans aren't sold on Mariota or don't get trade offers, so they go BPA and get the best defender

3) Jax Jaguars: Dante Fowler, EDGE UF

--this is where TD starts getting antsy, as the run on EDGE guys begin. The Jags could take Beasley , but I think the local product stays in Florida. He's a good fit for the Jags

4) Oakland: Kevin White WR WVU

--Could see trade action here. But the Raiders do need a big play guy on offense

5) Washington Redskins: Brandon Schreff, OL Iowa

--they could go edge rusher here, but RG3 is seriously made of glass and Gruden wants that offense clicking. Whether at OT or OG, Schreff is that big nasty that Gruden loves

6) New York Jets: Marcus Mariota QB Oregon

--Very realistic possibility that they grab an edge guy, but the new coach may want a new QB not named Geno

7) Chicago Bears: Amari Cooper WR, Bam

--Life after Brandon Marshall. Could grab an EDGE guy or even Shelton

8) Atlanta Falcons: Vic Beasley EDGE 6'2" 246 lbs

-great first step and high motor.big time college production, and more powerful than his size suggests. Very useful and adaptive in terms of scheme. You can line him up in the Von Miller-type role in 43, inside and outside in 34, on the strong side in 43 under, off the edge (but not continuously IMO) and even as a WLB. Just a great player. If we went Shane Ray I wouldn't cry,but I prefer Vic

--if both Beasly and Ray are gone, get ready for Landon Collins as a Falcon, with or without trade. Bookmark this comment.

**********************************************************************************

DRAFT Scenario B:

Who we end up really depends on Mariota. Does he go at number 2? Does he last until the Jets or even bears pick?

1) Tampa Bay: Jameis Winston, QB FL State

--No brainer. The Sucs need a QB. He's the best available

2) Tennessee or San Diego: Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon

--Forget the Williams pick. Tennessee needs a QB and Mettenberger isn't all that. Note that I had or San Diego. Could see Rivers force his way out, and San Diego grabs a very athletic and talented QB...Mariota as a Titan is a good fit as well.

3) Jax Jaguars: Dante Fowler, EDGE UF

--this is where TD starts getting antsy, as the run on EDGE guys begin. The Jags could take Beasley , but I think the local product stays in Florida. He's a good fit for the Jags

4) Oakland: Leonard Williams, DE/DT USC

--I cry here. I'd so love the best defensive player in this draft. The raiders could go WR, but if Williams is on the board when they pick there's zero chance they pass on him. He'd go to the Titans if Mariota is deemed unworthy, regardless

5) Washington Redskins: Randy Gregory, OLB/EDGE Nebraska

--I've seen Schreff here, even Kevin white. But reality is the Skins need an OLB for their 34. Gregory has the length and fluidity they desire and need

6) New York Jets: Vic Beasley, EDGE Clemson

--sorry Falcons fans, but the jets need an edge guy to complete their defense.

7) Chicago Bears: Shane Ray, EDGE Mizzou

--After this pick the board melts down

8) Cleveland Browns (Atl receives the 12th and 19th pick): Kevin White WR, WVU

--will Cleveland give up this much? No real choice if they want a franchise WR in White. Something they desperately need. See Buffalo trade last year with Cleveland on the cost to move 4-5 spots. Ironically, Cleveland is essentially using the first rounder gained by the trade to get a WR--which is what buffalo moved up for (Watkins)

9) New York Giants: Brandon Schreff , OL Iowa

--Giants sect best OL in draft

10) STL Rams: Amari Cooper, WR Alabama

--Rams get their true number one and begin transforming that offense into something other than an afterthought to that great defense

11) Minnesota Vikings: Trae Waynes, cb Mich St.

--just a really great corner who'll do well under Zimmer

12) Atlanta Falcons (from Cleveland) : Bud Dupree EDGE UK, 6'4" 270 lbs:

--I'm not completely sold on bud but at 12 and if we gained extra pick like my scenario, it'd make more sense. Is a boom or bust project. Raw but great athletic ability. Could also be pick if we stayed at 8

19) Atlanta Falcons: Landon Collins, S Alabama 6'0" 221

--in a cover 3 the Safeties are huge capabilities. I keep reading coverage issues. Like KOG I say BS. Watch him. He played the nickel and FS as well. I'd even take him #8 overall and southward becomes a big cb. Is he a FS? Is he a SS? I don't really care. He's talented. And a better player than the combine warrior Bud Dupree.

--if both Beasly and Ray are gone, get ready for Landon Collins as a Falcon, with or without trade. Bookmark this comment.

**********************************************************************************

FALCONS 2015 Scenario A Draft:

RD1 pick 8: Vic Beasly (see commentary )

RD 2: Jay Ajayi, RB Boise State 6'0" 220 lbs.

--May be a tad early to take him, but after impressive workouts he'll go second. tough and explosive back with great vision. Outstanding receiver. But what I really like is he's physical and plays with energy. Sets the tone of physicality on offense. We met with him. If a bit faster he'd be a first round guy.

RD 3: Anthony Harris, S UVA 6'1" 183 lbs

--Long and lanky centerfielder. I love his fluidity. Could be a cb but I think he's a rangy FS for us and pushes Dez to cb. Surprisingly great run support for his size. Instant starter potentially. Could team with Collins as a long-term safety combo. Definitely a contributor. We lost McClain as well, and at worst he or Dez or big cbs and one or the other see duty in 3 Safety looks. This kid could definitely play nickel, as well.

RD 4: Ty Montgomery WR, Stanford 6'0 216 lbs

- YAC monster. Perfect in WCO getting the dump offs and screens from matt and getting upfield. Route running needs refinement, but who better to mature under than Robiskie, White and Julio? Will steal receptions from HD and Hester, and could develop into #2 across from Julio after Roddy departs. Day one you get him touches either via STs (he's a returner) or even wildcat looks.

RD 5: Clayton Geathers SS UCF 6'2" 218

--big time hitter. Great size but raw. May need a year behind Willymo (assuming he stays) but can develop into that enforcer.

RD 6: Shaquille Mason G/C GA Tech, 6'2" 310

--Regardless of trade, I like this kid for a couple of reasons. One he's a great C for us if Hawley can't go. Second, and similar to the first reason despite his stature he fits a ZBS as a G as well. Stout run guy, who can pass pro as well. Plays with good leverage and can get downfield. At worst, a great depth/developmental guy.

RD 7: Zach Zenner HB/FB SDSU 5'11" 220

-- I think he's a HB tgat can play FB...regardless we need rb depth. And with his vision and top gear could see him integrated into passing game early.

RD 7: Max Valles OLB/DE UVA 6'5" 251:

--I love drafting a player with length and athleticism in the 7th. Valles is a prospect at best--could get cut or end up on PS. But has great frame and good athleticsm. 9 batted down passes in 2014. Could add weight and develop into a nice edge setter.

***********************************************************************************

FALCONS 2015 Scenario B Draft:

RD1: Bud Dupree (see commentary above)

RD1: Landon Collins (see commentary above)

RD 2: Jay Ajayi, RB Boise State 6'0" 220 lbs.

--May be a tad early to take him, but after impressive workouts he'll go second. tough and explosive back with great vision. Outstanding receiver. But what I really like is he's physical and plays with energy. Sets the tone of physicality on offense. We met with him. If a bit faster he'd be a first round guy.

RD 3: Anthony Harris, S UVA 6'1" 183 lbs

--Long and lanky centerfielder. I love his fluidity. Could be a cb but I think he's a rangy FS for us and pushes Dez to cb. Surprisingly great run support for his size. Instant starter potentially. Could team with Collins as a long-term safety combo. Definitely a contributor. We lost McClain as well, and at worst he or Dez or big cbs and one or the other see duty in 3 Safety looks. This kid could definitely play nickel, as well.

RD 4: Ty Montgomery WR, Stanford 6'0 216 lbs

- YAC monster. Perfect in WCO getting the dump offs and screens from matt and getting upfield. Route running needs refinement, but who better to mature under than Robiskie, White and Julio? Will steal receptions from HD and Hester, and could develop into #2 across from Julio after Roddy departs. Day one you get him touches either via STs (he's a returner) or even wildcat looks.

RD 5: Jake Ryan, OLB Michigan , 6'2" 240

--can play all LB positions in 43. Smart and physical guy. I think his best fit is inside. Might be a STs/depth guy only, but that's not bad. Maybe he beats Worrilow and is our MLB.

RD 6: Shaquille Mason G/C GA Tech, 6'2" 310

--Regardless of trade, I like this kid for a couple of reasons. One he's a great C for us if Hawley can't go. Second, and similar to the first reason despite his stature he fits a ZBS as a G as well. Stout run guy, who can pass pro as well. Plays with good leverage and can get downfield. At worst, a great depth/developmental guy.

RD 7: Zach Zenner HB/FB SDSU 5'11" 220

-- I think he's a HB tgat can play FB...regardless we need rb depth. And with his vision and top gear could see him integrated into passing game early.

RD 7: Max Valles OLB/DE UVA 6'5" 251:

--I love drafting a player with length and athleticism in the 7th. Valles is a prospect at best--could get cut or end up on PS. But has great frame and good athleticsm. 9 batted down passes in 2014. Could add weight and develop into a nice edge setter.

****************************************************************************************

Regardless of scenario, both mocks are very similar. Both contain two DEs. One is a "sure thing," one a developmental guy (Valles for both). Both Mocks have 2 Safeties with long arms and size. Each mock has a big hitter at SS (Geathers or Collins) and both contain the rangy FS who could be a big cb as well in Harris. If you look at our roster, we are woefully thin at the safety position and both safety spots are critical to the cover 3.

LB is interesting now with Durant and Reed. Also, we have Shembo and Spruill returning.

I'm really curious about the G spot...do we have someone on roster? Will we seek a vet? Or use draft? I went late with this pick. I also didn't pick a TE

Not much differences otherwise

Thoughts?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That trade is nowhere close on the trade chart. Our pick is the equivalent of Browns 19 their 2nd and somewhere between a 4th and a 5th.

If the edge guys are gone I'd gladly take that. It would give us back to back picks in the 2nd.

Actually, forget your outdated chart. Last year the bills gave up a future first and fourth to move up what 5 spots? This is basically giving one of picks they got from the bills.

Also, it's about supply and demand. Assuming both Wrs are on board (Cooper and white), anyone from the Giants to STL or Minnesota will be salivating. A NYG tandem of Beckham and White would be crazy. Both STL and the Vikings need number 1 Wrs. Heck we could take one of them with Roddy agong.

If Cleveland wants the pick--they pay

Give me B for the win, Alex!

I think I'd rather have B as well

Oh and P.S. - you got the mocker focker disease worse than G-Dawg this year. All you need is color coded player names now.

iPad won't do the colors:(

Interesting draft this year

The bills moved up into the top 4 of the draft. Of course the Bills paid more.

You're oversimplifying...they moved up for the top receiving prospect. It's value of the prospect that matters more than pick in day and age of cheap roomies. Want more evidence? See Miami trade with Oakland for a less superior prospect in Dion Jordan

If Williams, Beasley, Fowler and Ray are gone, Scenario B is a solid alternative. Still don't see Gregory going that high but you have him going to the Redskins so yeah the odds of them doing something like that is possible. :P

Lol anything is possible with those dats. But they could use another pass rusher across from Kerrigan and Gregory has that coveted length for a 3-4...Schreff would fe a possible choice, or even Waynes I guess

That trade is nowhere close on the trade chart. Our pick is the equivalent of Browns 19 their 2nd and somewhere between a 4th and a 5th.

If the edge guys are gone I'd gladly take that. It would give us back to back picks in the 2nd.

No way for just second do I let them have that pick. It'd cost multiple or that extra first. Particularly if White and Cooper are on board.

If a QB or WR falls to us I hope we do trade back, even if Beasley is there, and there are a lot of teams who need one or the other. I doubt the Browns move up and give up that much for a wr since they just signed Bowe and hartline, not that it's a great group but they need a lot of other pieces more, including their lines, qb, TE, cb (unless Gilbert steps up they need to replace Skrine). If it were to take place I love that you went defense with both picks, not the homer pick of gurley. It would be tough to me if best available safety and linebacker are there at 19 what to take tbh, there is a huge drop off after the top 2-3 in both positions. Overall I like the mock, a lot of though put into it.

If a QB or WR falls to us I hope we do trade back, even if Beasley is there, and there are a lot of teams who need one or the other. I doubt the Browns move up and give up that much for a wr since they just signed Bowe and hartline, not that it's a great group but they need a lot of other pieces more, including their lines, qb, TE, cb (unless Gilbert steps up they need to replace Skrine). If it were to take place I love that you went defense with both picks, not the homer pick of gurley. It would be tough to me if best available safety and linebacker are there at 19 what to take tbh, there is a huge drop off after the top 2-3 in both positions. Overall I like the mock, a lot of though put into it.

Thank you.

I don't know on Browns. They have Manziel...like him or love him he's not a bust yet. No TE is worth a first rounder this year.

Bowe as number 1? Maybe..but man he's gotten slow looking. Giving up much? Dunno if it is considering it doesn't mortgage future picks and they get a recognizable talent. Be interesting if they wanted Shelton as well

If beasley is there..I pick option A. He's my pick

Guest King Jigsaw

Just here to remind you that the jackwagons who type the loudest in these parts want you to know that even though it's a Falcons mock draft you're posting, you're not actually Talking About The Falcons so you have to get the mods to move this to the DFA Forum. rolleyes.gif