I'm Starting To Think We Have Very Little Shot At One Of The Top Edge Rushers

MSalmon

As futile as it is, I'm working on a post combine mock. The futility is when projecting the team needs before us, many need an edge guy. Just like us.

I personally have the followings as the top guys:

1) Beasly

2) Fowler

3) Ray

4) Gregory

I'm not a huge Gregory fan, but I get why he's getting some love.

Second Tier edge guys--not base DEs in my mind are:

1) Danielle Hunter

2) bud dupree

3) nate orchard

4) Eli Harold

But this list IMO are not #8 overall pick guys

So if draft goes like this:

1) Tampa Bay: Jameis Winston, QB FL State

--No brainer. The Sucs need a QB. He's the best available

2) Tennessee or San Diego: Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon

--Forget the Williams pick. Tennessee needs a QB and Mettenberger isn't all that. Note that I had or San Diego. Could see Rivers force his way out, and San Diego grabs a very athletic and talented QB...Mariota as a Titan is a good fit as well.

3) Jax Jaguars: Dante Fowler, EDGE UF

--this is where TD starts getting antsy, as the run on EDGE guys begin. The Jags could take Beasley , but I think the local product stays in Florida. He's a good fit for the Jags

4) Oakland: Leonard Williams, DE/DT USC

--I cry here. I'd so love the best defensive player in this draft. The raiders could go WR, but if Williams is on the board when they pick there's zero chance they pass on him. He'd go to the Titans if Mariota is deemed unworthy, regardless

5) Washington Redskins: Randy Gregory, OLB/EDGE Nebraska

--I've seen Schreff here, even Kevin white. But reality is the Skins need an OLB for their 34. Gregory has the length and fluidity they desire and need

6) New York Jets: Vic Beasley, EDGE Clemson

--sorry Falcons fans, but the jets need an edge guy to complete their defense.

7) Chicago Bears: Shane Ray, EDGE Mizzou

--After this pick the board melts down

Now I have two questions if draft falls like this:

1) who do you pick? (This kinda repeats an earlier post)

2) who out of the second tier edge guys do you pick later in draft?

My answers:

1) Landon Collins

2) Danielle Hunter

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on who is thirsty for the guy they want. Trade back a few spots ideally, hope Dupree is left or go BPA.

I'd be great with a trade down in this draft. I think that'll come down to where either receivers like Cooper and white fall..of course Mariota (or where he goes) dictates a lot

Easy... Take Dupree (who I think will be the pick anyways)

I just can't seem to like him. I keep watching his games and I just find him to be a pedestrian pass rusher. Great athlete as the combine proved. But I just don't like him..but you could be right

Id like for us to get Collins if the big 4 are gone. But someone will be their. I kinda like Gregory. He is 6'6" and 240 pds. Here is something i read on the ajc:

“I bring a lot of things,” Gregory said. “I’m a real versatile player. I can play standing up. I can play with my hand down. Great motor. I’m going to go out there and play as hard as I can. I’m a great motivator, and I think I’m a great leader. So, I think I have a lot of good qualities that I can bring to a program that is willing to take me.”

He just seems like a player Quinn would like.

The song in the highlight video has cursing in it so if you don't like cursing then WARNING lol

https://youtu.be/PHeBjCB1zew

Edited by OFF

If this happens, we'd actually have the choice of the top WR, OL, and DB. So, my board would be Collins, Sherff, Dupree, Cooper or to throw out a wildcard, Trae Waynes.

Wayne's is interesting. He's a rare talent. Two corners like Tru and him would be a nice combo

God I really hope this never happens but in that scenario you have be insane not to trade down, and try to pickup either Melvin gordon, gurley, or cooper.

If trade down was available I'd do it...id make sure Cleveland was salivating for Cooper or white and charge them the 12 and 19 pick for it

So hard to say right now, wouldn't be surprised if one of the teams before us took Sherff as the safe pick, or if one of them loved Dupree's potential so much they took him, think the Redskins and the Raiders desperately need offensive playmakers so that Cooper and or White could be in play-Cooper AND White would be great.

Somebody in the first 7 may go retro on us and take Gurley- he would have been a top 10 pick before the injury and they may figure that he'll never make it to the top of the second round.

Think Msalmon, that you're trying to be objective and you've veered off into just projecting the worst possible outcome. Don't mean that in a mean way, just something I see a lot of folks here doing.

Think it's very possible for the Tackle to go before the Falcon pick, as well as the WR, plus haven't had a WTF pick in the first 5 for a year or two- we're due.

Going to be a really talented player or a chance to trade down at 8.

Somebody will want one of the two top receivers in that scenario. No doubt in my mind. Trade down.

trade down makes the most sense but its a lot easier to say it than do it and get equal value

trading down to say 17-23 adding a second isn't enough 25th or later picking up an extra 1st next year now thats the best trade you can get

i think they will end up staying there and taking the best player available the bad thing is (really good kind of) we have a bunch of holes to fill

Pass rusher is number 1 some youth at the WR position would make sense if its kevin white

i think the best pick may be Trae Waynes fills a need and adds to the defense Alford showed how good he could be but he's very erratic in his play and waynes has all pro upside and great ball skills

so Kevin White or Trae Waynes would be my pick

people forget having two top filght WRs nearly got this team and a horrible defense to the superbowl were they would have beat the Ravens

Edited by THE ICEMAN

So hard to say right now, wouldn't be surprised if one of the teams before us took Sherff as the safe pick, or if one of them loved Dupree's potential so much they took him, think the Redskins and the Raiders desperately need offensive playmakers so that Cooper and or White could be in play-Cooper AND White would be great.

Somebody in the first 7 may go retro on us and take Gurley- he would have been a top 10 pick before the injury and they may figure that he'll never make it to the top of the second round.

Think Msalmon, that you're trying to be objective and you've veered off into just projecting the worst possible outcome. Don't mean that in a mean way, just something I see a lot of folks here doing.

Think it's very possible for the Tackle to go before the Falcon pick, as well as the WR, plus haven't had a WTF pick in the first 5 for a year or two- we're due.

Going to be a really talented player or a chance to trade down at 8.

Sherff isn't a safe pick they don't get much safer on paper than jake matthews was last year and just look at him he had a horrible year ranking out as one of if not the worst tackles in football last year given up double digit sacks and a ton of pressures