John Mara: Most Free Agents Available Were 'mediocre'

I know this isn't taft but it had me wondering. Is this the same way Domi & quinn felt approaching this offseason. I mean let's face it, Domitroff has never been scared to spend big (e.g. Donte Robinson, Ray edwards, Jackson and solia).

For the most part, the New York Giants have been bystanders during the first week and a half of free agency. This was by design.

To hear John Mara, Big Blue's co-owner, tell it, the team peeked at what it would cost to bring in new talent and determined it wasn't worth it.

"There were obviously some star players out there, but for the most part I thought it was a mediocre free-agent class,'' Mara told reporters Thursday, per the New York Post.

Mara's point is valid that aside from the top talent -- the Ndamukong Suhs or Randall Cobbs -- many of the mid-tier players get overpaid when they reach free agency. There is a reason their former team's allowed them to hit the open market.

"And I think a lot of guys got paid more money than maybe they would have in other years because there was a lot of cap room out there," Mara continued. "I think the guys who we got will help us, but we still have a long way to go."

Mara can also look in the mirror when he says players got paid more money than they might have other years. His team gave Dwayne Harris, a good special teamer who doesn't help on offense, $7.1 million in guaranteed money .

The Giants have also added defensive lineman Kenrick Ellis, linebacker J.T. Thomas and running back Shane Vereen -- so, yes, a pretty mediocre class overall.

Edited by @zae2stomachs

I agree with the point that the majority of the players in FA were mediocre. Some people aren't happy that we didn't make any "splash" signings but to be honest, I'm ok with that. To my knowledge we didn't overpay anyone and the players we did get, while they may not be top tier, they're hungry and ready to prove themselves and that's something that Quinn wants and will work with, he's gonna bring out the beast in these guys. Man, I cannot wait for this season to begin.

I agree with the point that the majority of the players in FA were mediocre. Some people aren't happy that we didn't make any "splash" signings but to be honest, I'm ok with that. To my knowledge we didn't overpay anyone and the players we did get, while they may not be top tier, they're hungry and ready to prove themselves and that's something that Quinn wants and will work with, he's gonna bring out the beast in these guys. Man, I cannot wait for this season to begin.

I'm fine with that thinking, a good-to-great teams are built thru draft, not FA...

Still baffles me how most of you all were clamoring to sign these guys too. I said from the beginning if it wasnt us going after jpp (who got franchised at the last minute), or giving orakpo a prove it contract (he was ultimately overpaid by Tennessee) then we shouldn't sign any of the other scrubs to hefty contracts.

This free agency was one of the weakest in recent years.

I still can't believe the Dolphins spent that much money on Suh yeah the dude is a beast " but as many problems as that team had to mortgage

the farm on one player is just plain dumb". That's why I like what we've done so far, nothing spectacular but some good pieces to the puzzle.

then add more through the draft, too me a solid blueprint.

I agree that they were mediocre. The problem is, we were terrible on D, so mediocre players would have been an improvement. Mediocre players don't command as much money either. We didn't do anything. Derrick Morgan would have helped. Jerry Hughes had potential to help and his deal wasn't outrageous.

I agree that they were mediocre. The problem is, we were terrible on D, so mediocre players would have been an improvement. Mediocre players don't command as much money either. We didn't do anything. Derrick Morgan would have helped. Jerry Hughes had potential to help and his deal wasn't outrageous.

We didn't do anything? You do know morgan confirmed we made him a higher offer but he decided to resign with his old team. Tbh it felt like a fishing trip for him just to see if he could up his existing teams offer.

SMH this is bad people we've brought in more players then any other team, therefore we have more mediocre players then any other team. Let that sink in.

SMH this is bad people we've brought in more players then any other team, therefore we have more mediocre players then any other team. Let that sink in.

Your theory is flawed.

We released/didnt re-sign players as well, therefore we needed to fill roster spots.

Basically you couldve either had our sucky players from last year, or could take a gamble on a "mediocre" player with a more favorable contract.