About All These 1-Year Deals.

I keep wondering why mostly all the players that we've signed or resigned are on one year deals. Then it hit me. If you look at our FAs next year, most are probably going to be allowed to walk. With the exception of Julio and maybe worrilow. The other guys are all smith-era guys who seem easily replacable. I can see us saving up money and allowing this year's cap to carry over in anticipation for breakout players and other teams' FAs. Hence the one year prove it deals. Not to mention that we can really bulk-up our roster next offseason with all the cash we might have left over. That is if we don't spend a lot of cash post June 1st.

Guest King Jigsaw

Or it's because Quinn knows that he's stepping into a new job with a new team and he would like a season to look over his options and get a better idea of what he's looking for as a head coach in the NFL?

It takes a few draft cycles to replace all these bums. You give them one year deals and tell them to prove something. They try hard all year to prove themselves. If they excel you keep them and replace the other below average players in the next draft.

Rinse and repeat.

Not sure who but someone in upper management has either gained wisdom or brought it with them from Seattle.

Yeah, I'd say it has a lot to do with seeing if some "answers" are already on the roster with a year of coaching, but having a backup plan in case the roster isn't ready. This entire offseason is the backup plan.

Weren't the LBs the only long term contracts?

I have said this exactly several times already. The free agent signings we have are insurance. They are not meant to be long term solutions. We signed them in case the guys on the roster can't develop the way Quinn wants them to.

If the in house guys do develop and fit.. we cut some of the 1 year insuance.. no big deal. But if they don't develop or fit... we have solid guys to step in to replace them.

It's prove it deals. Are you gonna compete at a NFL level? Are you wanting to get paid millions of dollars a year? If you aren't gonna help the team succeed and compete for a championship then you will have to be replaced next offseason. They are creating friendly competition in the locker room. Prove that you deserve to be a starter in the NFL. Competition makes guys work harder. The potential of making more money next offseason makes them work even harder.

One-year contracts are a great deal for the Falcons. The players know they have to produce to get another contract, the Falcons know if they don't produce, they're not going to get a new contract. The K.I.S.S. principle working at peak performance.

Keep it simple stupid?

Guest King Jigsaw

What about him? You wanna trade 2 first round picks for him? This isn't Madden so shut up

I don't think you understood what he was trying to say, so coming off like such an asshoIe for no reason looks especially bad on you. I believe he was implying that Houston was franchised this year so if a new deal isn't reached before then he will hit the market next year. The Falcons, having not spent their money this year, will have extra money next offseason to be a strong contender for his next team.

I don't think you understood what he was trying to say, so coming off like such an asshoIe for no reason looks especially bad on you. I believe he was implying that Houston was franchised this year so if a new deal isn't reached before then he will hit the market next year. The Falcons, having not spent their money this year, will have extra money next offseason to be a strong contender for his next team.

uea thats what i took from it

Quinn is a new HC with a new scheme. Aside from a few former Seahawks, all of which were depth players, none of these guys have played for him. Basically, we're getting a bunch of players and seeing what sticks. It's also why we haven't overpaid for any of the FAs out there. Right now, all we can do is speculate as to how well a player will fit into this new setup, so rather than overpay and potentially get stuck with someone that wasn't as much of a fit as you thought that they were, we're being more frugal. It's been said before, but this is the same thing that they did with Avril and Bennett. It was only after they had succeeded in that scheme that they were rewarded with big contracts.

Quinn is a new HC with a new scheme. Aside from a few former Seahawks, all of which were depth players, none of these guys have played for him. Basically, we're getting a bunch of players and seeing what sticks. It's also why we haven't overpaid for any of the FAs out there. Right now, all we can do is speculate as to how well a player will fit into this new setup, so rather than overpay and potentially get stuck with someone that wasn't as much of a fit as you thought that they were, we're being more frugal. It's been said before, but this is the same thing that they did with Avril and Bennett. It was only after they had succeeded in that scheme that they were rewarded with big contracts.

Yup. This is how good teams are built in this league. Don't overpay in FA and you can afford to re-sign guys who prove to be the right fit. That's how you get a Michael Bennett at $8 mil per year while other teams are spending almost as much on lesser guys in FA.