Cbs Sports Rob Rang On Shane Ray After Pro Day

RYNE

Rob Rang on the Famous Shane Ray:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25116353/nfl-draft-five-takeaways-from-this-weeks-pro-day-workouts

1. Shane Ray falling behind Fowler, Beasley?
The most anticipated workout of the week was Missouri's since projected top-15 pick Shane Ray -- the SEC's reigning Defensive Player of the Year - had been unable to work out at the combine due to a lingering foot injury. Unfortunately, Ray did not perform as well in measured drills as similarly-built pass rusher Vic Beasley and with only one season as a starter, he's not as far along in his technique as Florida's Dante Fowler.

Though a scout who attended the workout cautioned not to put too much emphasis on Ray's somewhat disappointing 4.55-4.63 times in the 40-yard dash, 33" vertical jump and 10' broad jump at 6-foot-3, 249 pounds, scouts have since told me that the relatively thin lower body Ray showed is a concern.

"The tape proves that he's a legitimate pass rusher," one high-ranking scout said. "But, he has narrow hips and thin legs so he's likely to struggle to add much weight and retain the quickness that he used so effectively off the edge. I don't know that he's a defensive end at our level. He looked stiff during the linebacker drills too."

"I'm not saying that he's not a first round pick, but he wasn't as impressive on the hoof as Beasley and isn't as polished as Fowler so I have a hard time seeing him go earlier than either of them."

Just putting this out there since there has been articles on Dupree, and Beasely recently. Sounds like things I have said about Ray before, just is stiff, slow, and doesn't look quite right. I really don't want this guy. Give me Beasely, Fowler, or Dupree

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This basically says what I've been seeing. His tape is truly impressive. It's just hard to picture him translating that to the pro.

Well you are one of the only people around here that agree with this article and myself. People swear this guy is going to be great and that I have no idea what I am looking at. I don't even think it is close to be honest he is not a top 15 pick. Some of the times he gets sacks it looks like he is offsides to me. Don't get the love for Ray

Been saying it over and over

He's Michael Sam 2.0.

And our track record with injury prone mizzou players scares me even more.

I agree with you

Yep. His #s were just a little bit better than Michael Sam's... Too small/weak to play DE and not athletic enough to play OLB.

TD loves good 3 cone #s so I hope that's enough to pass on him because we've shown a lot of interest prior to the pro day.

Edited by HEIST

Been saying it over and over

He's Michael Sam 2.0.

And our track record with injury prone mizzou players scares me even more.

Completely disagree. The combine revealed Michael Sam as a poor athlete for NFL standards, and he was only a 4th-5th rounder going into that. And how exactly is he injury prone?

Also, I don't understand how a 4.55-4.65 is bad. That is still an excellent time for a DE or LB and a 10' broad jump is also really good. No, he's not an Olympic sprinter or long jumper, but he's a darn good football player.

Sounds like Jamaal Anderson... Project and ultimate bust...

Lmao that's a worse comparison than the JJ Watt = Vic Beasley one.

Also, a 4.55-4.63 40 for a 250 lb pass rusher is still really good, though not on Beasley's level. And he did it with an injury. That said, I'm a lot more cautious about him after the 3 cone, even granting some leeway for injury. I don't think he's what the numbers suggest he is, but I'm (obviously) more comfortable with Beasley...unfortunately, after Ray's Pro Day, the chances of Beasley slipping just got way worse.

Completely disagree. The combine revealed Michael Sam as a poor athlete for NFL standards, and he was only a 4th-5th rounder going into that. And how exactly is he injury prone?

Also, I don't understand how a 4.55-4.65 is bad. That is still an excellent time for a DE or LB and a 10' broad jump is also really good. No, he's not an Olympic sprinter or long jumper, but he's a darn good football player.

Michael Sam is a better football player than Shane Ray. Shane Ray just happens to be faster.

Both of them are stiffs. You can be as fast as you want, but if you lack agility and your bread and butter is a speed rush, youre going to get handled quite easily in the NFL.

Michael Sam is a better football player than Shane Ray. Shane Ray just happens to be faster.

Both of them are stiffs. You can be as fast as you want, but if you lack agility and your bread and butter is a speed rush, youre going to get handled quite easily in the NFL.

I and just about any scout would disagree with you about Michael Sam being better. Ray's 3 cone time wasn't great (allegedly), but he is far from a "stiff." He doesn't seem to have any problem with the speed rush as far as I can tell. In fact, I would say he still has the best first step in the draft.

Edited by JRob215

Krunk, you are going full potato with those type of comments lol

I and just about any scout would disagree with you about Michael Sam being better. Ray's 3 cone time wasn't great (allegedly), but he is far from a "stiff." He doesn't seem to have any problem with the speed rush as far as I can tell. In fact, I would say he still has the best first step in the draft.

Multiple reports have said that he tested poorly in linebacker drills....another sign of stiffness and lack of agility.

You can speed by tackles all day in college. Once you get to the pros it's a whole different ball game. If you cant bend around that corner then your speed rush is negated.

I haven't dug into Ray's tape too much, but I know this much, when he losses with speed he has other pass rush moves and converts his speed to power quiet well. Dupree on the other hand, I can't see what the hype is with the kid, I really do get his elite first step, but if he can't beat you with speed he seems to give up. I watched the tape from Mississippi St, Florida and Missouri and I honestly don't know why people have him rated so high. If you watch his tape against Florida and you'll see a DE who does literally nothing the whole game, then his tape against Mississippi St he had two plays where he was unblocked and made plays. At this point, if we don't get Beasley I'm gonna be super nervous for our pass rusher with all these doubts coming out now.

Multiple reports have said that he tested poorly in linebacker drills....another sign of stiffness and lack of agility.

You can speed by tackles all day in college. Once you get to the pros it's a whole different ball game. If you cant bend around that corner then your speed rush is negated.

You obviously didn't like him from the start, and to each his own, but you can't deny his explosiveness on tape. I like all of the top DEs in this class for different reasons, but Ray is the most impressive with his hand in the ground and that is where he will be playing with the Falcons.

Watch all the people now hopping off the ray bandwagon. Me and a couple other have been saying what the scout said all along. I even had someone tell me he could be a more athletic Von Miller Lol.He's stiff and his lacks length.If he doesn't get a good enough jump on the snap it's over for him. I've had him ranked #4 Beasley,Fowler, and Gregory. Even then I'm not sure if I would be to sure to take him at 8.

Watch all the people now hopping off the ray bandwagon. Me and a couple other have been saying what the scout said all along. I even had someone tell me he could be a more athletic Von Miller Lol.He's stiff and his lacks length.If he doesn't get a good enough jump on the snap it's over for him. I've had him ranked #4 Beasley,Fowler, and Gregory. Even then I'm not sure if I would be to sure to take him at 8.

Lmao that's where you're wrong, Ray has pass rush moves and coverts speed to power very well, multiple and I mean multiple people have said this and it's on tape as well. He's not on Von Miller's level obviously, but it doesn't mean he can't develop along the same lines. He also has other pass rush moves, not just the big get off.

Lmao that's a worse comparison than the JJ Watt = Vic Beasley one.

Also, a 4.55-4.63 40 for a 250 lb pass rusher is still really good, though not on Beasley's level. And he did it with an injury. That said, I'm a lot more cautious about him after the 3 cone, even granting some leeway for injury. I don't think he's what the numbers suggest he is, but I'm (obviously) more comfortable with Beasley...unfortunately, after Ray's Pro Day, the chances of Beasley slipping just got way worse.

Your post is full of facts and lacks hyperbole therefore it is not welcome here.So +1

Lmao that's where you're wrong, Ray has pass rush moves and coverts speed to power very well, multiple and I mean multiple people have said this and it's on tape as well. He's not on Von Miller's level obviously, but it doesn't mean he can't develop along the same lines. He also has other pass rush moves, not just the big get off.

What pass rush moves does he have other than a decent rip?

His rip is good, I really liked it, worked it well vs DJ Humphries. He has a decent bull rush and he has the speed rush, I've seen him use all 3 and made them look good. No matter what, out of college no pass rusher is going to be polished and I don't even like Ray a ton, but to down his play and how he plays is just silly. Not to mention he works with Chuck Smith as does Randy Gregory to get better, they are trying to get better in their craft.

http://giant.gfycat.com/WholeOrneryIberiannase.gif

Really good speed rush and rip move here against Kentucky

http://giant.gfycat.com/CluelessCleverIndianpalmsquirrel.gif

Works Humphries really well here...

http://giant.gfycat.com/GracefulCloseHyracotherium.gif

Club swim move inside here, works this one well too, seen this a few times on tape.

http://giant.gfycat.com/AdmirableSadBarbet.gif

This is him lining up inside and using the club inside move to create pressure.

He's pretty versatile too, I'm not sure he can stand up and play backer, but he can rush standing up too, I just don't know if he can drop in coverage which Quinn might ask his LEO to do.
His hand placement is really good too, to add to his relentless motor, he's a good pass rusher with good potential, is he going to be Von Miller ? Probably not, is he going to get 7-11 sacks every year ? I'd be willing to bet so...

I haven't dug into Ray's tape too much, but I know this much, when he losses with speed he has other pass rush moves and converts his speed to power quiet well. Dupree on the other hand, I can't see what the hype is with the kid, I really do get his elite first step, but if he can't beat you with speed he seems to give up. I watched the tape from Mississippi St, Florida and Missouri and I honestly don't know why people have him rated so high. If you watch his tape against Florida and you'll see a DE who does literally nothing the whole game, then his tape against Mississippi St he had two plays where he was unblocked and made plays. At this point, if we don't get Beasley I'm gonna be super nervous for our pass rusher with all these doubts coming out now.

Agreed,

I think Shane ray is well rounded as a pass rusher. He has good moves, and doesn't necessarily live off the speed rush like vic or gregory. He can beat tackles inside aswell, and is a good player.

I don't see the Michael sam comparisons.