Cost Of Living In The Sec: Who Knew Knoxville And Auburn Were The San Francisco And Manhattan Of The South?

Billy Ocean

Tennessee’s COA – calculated by the Office of Financial Aid for all students using the Independent Student Allowance method – is $5,666 per year (not counting summer school). That’s $4002 in miscellaneous expenses and $1664 in transportation.

That is $80 more than the next SEC institution – Auburn ($5586). But it is almost $3900 more than Georgia ($1,798), which is on the low end of the SEC spectrum. These numbers are either last year’s figures or projected for the upcoming fiscal year according to information from various websites.

In the SEC, only three schools are over $5000, three schools are in the $4000s, six are in the $3000s and two are below $3000 – Georgia and Vanderbilt ($2,730).

http://www.sportsradiownml.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=11

that's pretty hilarious.. it's clear those two schools want to use this cost of living as a way to pay athletes more so they can use it in recruiting which say a lot about both programs. that isn't the point of the cost of living. unfortunately for both programs the incoming SEC commish says that the cost of living number will be standard across the board so no university will be able to use it as an advantage over another.

I've been a resident of the Knox County for a vast majority of my life and really don't think the cost of living here should be much more than that of other places, especially considering the fact that Tennessee doesn't have a state tax. If I'm not mistaken, Florida and Texas don't have a state tax either, but the other SEC states do.