What Will We Do With Remaining Money?

oxygencube

We have plenty of cap space left but haven't made any big money signings. Do we need lots of money for the draft? Would we need more money if we plan on moving up to get a second first rounder? I'm having a hard time understanding us not spending more money.

Most likely, it will be used for extensions to guys we already have that are in the final year of their contract or carried over to next season. No need to spend to money if they don't feel the value is there to warrant it. That said, it's just March. The roster hasn't been filled out and a lot of things could happen between now and September...

Most likely, it will be used for extensions to guys we already have that are in the final year of their contract or carried over to next season. No need to spend to money if they don't feel the value is there to warrant it. That said, it's just March. The roster hasn't been filled out and a lot of things could happen between now and September...

Just like with any other business its a lot cheaper to retain someone than it is to hire their replacement. I hope we lock up Julio with something frontloaded. I wish we could do the same with Trufant but I think the CBA prevents any negotiations until next off-season. We probably won't be very good this season anyway and it would be nice to have both of those guys with manageable cap hits in the years where we are in contention.

I think we have a real money budget separate from the salary cap. I also think we are planning on some splash signings prior to our 1st season in the new stadium. We're spending less now so we can have more to spend then.

It also is good to see how guys look in the new schemes before spending big. What if Southward, Ishmael, Alford, etc. kick butt? It would make spending big on a cb or fs poor use of our money.

shhh2.jpg

My guess is we are going to draft BPA based on how prospects fall off the board. Then we are going to sign more players after the next wave of cuts to supplement the holes we couldn't fill.

One thing about Free Agency in today's NFL, there are a lot of players due expensive roster bonuses. Many of them are probably getting pressured by their teams to renegotiate and unwilling to do so. Some of them will get cut. There will be good players made available between now and June 1st. Maybe not many of them, but there should be a few surprises.

One thing about Free Agency in today's NFL, there are a lot of players due expensive roster bonuses. Many of them are probably getting pressured by their teams to renegotiate and unwilling to do so. Some of them will get cut. There will be good players made available between now and June 1st. Maybe not many of them, but there should be a few surprises.

Agreed, just hope we actually sign a starter.

capologist bringing the logic here

we dont need to blow money on flashy signings, thats for teams that just want / crave attention (Cowboys, Eagles, etc) but it never really helps them anyway.