To Those Unhappy With Fa: Do You Think Arthur Is Unwilling To Spend?

A whole bunch of people here are very unhappy with our FA so far. They point out that our replaced starters last year had more sacks than the people we brought in to replace them, that we were 31st in pass rush, etc.

To those who feel that way -- what do you think the underlying problem is? Is Arthur unwilling to spend the money needed to bring us the players we need?

Or do you think something else is the problem? Maybe TD being clueless, or free agents not wanting to come here, or something else?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From everything I have read and heard from fans on the radio, it pretty much comes down to not spending the money on players they wanted. Quinn got guys he feels fit what he wants to do. That's all I care about

Not just that. Did people really want to give Morgan more than what he got? Charles Clay?

People just wanted players signed for something to talk about. I truly believe we are in a solid place on the defense. We had pieces. Now we have good depth.

Not just that. Did people really want to give Morgan more than what he got? Charles Clay?

People just wanted players signed for something to talk about. I truly believe we are in a solid place on the defense. We had pieces. Now we have good depth.

I would of paid Morgan more. I think he is worth around 8M a season in todays market.

yep. Can't please everyone

We escaped the usual FA trap of paying above average like it is elite at the expense of not getting any big names, which is more than OK by me. Dimitroff fell into that trap several times in the past and it burned us. The best franchises build through the draft and supplement with low risk/high reward FA signings. At this point I hope they use the extra available funds to work out a deal with Julio that has a ton of up front money so the cap hits on the back end of the deal aren't burdensome.

I would of paid Morgan more. I think he is worth around 8M a season in todays market.

You're serious too.

Think about this: Jerry Hughes got 5yrs $45MM. That's 9MM a year. He has more sacks in the last two years than Morgan does in the last three. But he's worth just $1MM less per year? Yea.....

We escaped the usual FA trap of paying above average like it is elite at the expense of not getting any big names, which is more than OK by me. Dimitroff fell into that trap several times in the past and it burned us. The best franchises build through the draft and supplement with low risk/high reward FA signings. At this point I hope they use the extra available funds to work out a deal with Julio that has a ton of up front money so the cap hits on the back end of the deal aren't burdensome.

Exactly. TD is my guy, but he chased cheese in FA too often. The fans loved the action, but then when we had no depth, they were quick to how he blew his wad on those signings.

I hope they point to these shrewd moves during the season, but I know most here won't.

Charles Clay is about to get $8 million per ($20 mil guaranteed) coming off a 3 TD season. That is absurd. Derrick Morgan never wanted to leave TN and he proved it by taking a couple of 45 minute flights to pretend like he was shopping himself. He put forth the absolute minimum effort to drive up his price. It worked in his favor.

It's not being cheap, it's being sane.

What I have wondered is if he has to make a big splash, is he gonna wait a year to make it ? Basically, we have DQ to sell tickets and "hope" this year. If all else fails before the new stadium opens then spend the money, buy some hype to sell tickets if needed.

yep.

You're serious too.

Think about this: Jerry Hughes got 5yrs $45MM. That's 9MM a year. He has more sacks in the last two years than Morgan does in the last three. But he's worth just $1MM less per year? Yea.....

Sacks, sacks, sacks

Look at my post above vel

Exactly. TD is my guy, but he chased cheese in FA too often. The fans loved the action, but then when we had no depth, they were quick to how he blew his wad on those signings.

I hope they point to these shrewd moves during the season, but I know most here won't.

It had absolutely nothing to do with any FA move made by TD. The fact is he has been horrible at drafting and that is the sole reason the team is void from depth.

These 'shrewd' moves will see our defense between 30-32 again imho

The problems I have with the organization are systemic and have more to do with my high level of skepticism that, just like every previous iteration of this franchise, they can produce results that even remotely approach their unfounded arrogance. With this team there will always be bigger concerns than putting a winning product on the field.

From everything I have read and heard from fans on the radio, it pretty much comes down to not spending the money on players they wanted. Quinn got guys he feels fit what he wants to do. That's all I care about

exactly.....we got linebackers on the first day of free agency.....obviously thats where coach saw the most value to improve the defense regardless of the spending

As a STH, I'm pleased with not paying Charles Clay like he was Kellen Winslow Sr. Given the shrewd contracts the organization has completed so far this FA period, I would have been okay with them offering Morgan 8m, but we don't know that they didnt or that 8m would have been enough to get him away from TN.

I have no problem being patient with a new regime under Quinn, and I re-upped my season tix understanding that smart roster building would take more than one year.

Why should Arthur Blank or anyone else in the organization care about the opinions of people who don't spend money on seats? Are they going to express their disappointment by spending less money on the Falcons than they already do??

Edited by Kaptain Krazy

It has nothing to do with Blank's willing to spend.

The Falcons have common sense.

They will NEVER pay $850,000 for a car that's worth $150,000.

NEVER.

I applaud them.

I respect them.

I give them credit.

OK, so here's one possible answer: the price for Free Agents is way out of whack, so much so that adding great players will shackle us down the road. So Arthur is not being cheap. Instead, the front office is smart enough to not overpay like many other teams do.

Does that hold up to scrutiny?