Falcons Looking To Upgrade Pass Rush Via Draft

We amassed 22.0 sacks in 2014. Our three best pass rushers were Biermann, Umenyiora, and Massaquoi. They tallied a whopping 9.0 sacks. So far they have been replaced by Clayborn, Reed and Schofield who totalled 5.0 sacks in 2014. Jeez.

With the exception of Greg Hardy, all of the top pass rushing free agents have either been signed or franchised. Of course there are a few scrap heap pass rushers still available like Johnson, Umenyiora and Biermann.

So unless we sign Hardy, which looks unlikely, we plan to upgrade our pass rush with NCAA players. With the eighth pick we may see the top four pass rushers fly off the board, leaving us with Bud Dupree in the first. Orchard, Harold or Kikaha in the second or third rounds are also options.

Rookie pass rushers usually do not produce right out of the shoot. I believe Aaron Donald was the only rook with more than seven sacks last year. So Quinn might have to use some smoke and mirrors to generate a pass rush in 2015.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We amassed 22.0 sacks in 2014. Our three best pass rushers were Biermann, Umenyiora, and Massaquoi. They tallied a whopping 9.0 sacks. So far they have been replaced by Clayborn, Reed and Schofield who totalled 5.0 sacks in 2014. Jeez.

With the exception of Greg Hardy, all of the top pass rushing free agents have either been signed or franchised. Of course there are a few scrap heap pass rushers still available like Johnson, Umenyiora and Biermann.

So unless we sign Hardy, which looks unlikely, we plan to upgrade our pass rush with NCAA players. With the eighth pick we may see the top four pass rushers fly off the board, leaving us with Bud Dupree in the first. Orchard, Harold or Kikaha in the second or third rounds are also options.

Rookie pass rushers usually do not produce right out of the shoot. I believe Aaron Donald was the only rook with more than seven sacks last year. So Quinn might have to use some smoke and mirrors to generate a pass rush in 2015.

Don't think Quinn is looking at this as a 1 year deal. He's rebuilding the D from almost scratch. Probably gonna grab 1 this year and another next year in the 1st. Give one of our prove it guys a shot to make a name for themselves. And Aaron Donald and our guy Mack were the only 2 who really did much last year. Unfortunately we never got a chance to see what Clowney would've done. Oh well...Anyone know how Dee Ford did? And if I recall correctly, didn't Michael Sam have like 3 sacks in preseason, then proceed to get cut like 3 times?

Spending a butt load of money before Quinn even knows what he has or what he needs would be foolish.

How many times does it need to be said? You add a foundation and THEN add one or two big free agents. Not the other way around...

Don't think Quinn is looking at this as a 1 year deal. He's rebuilding the D from almost scratch. Probably gonna grab 1 this year and another next year in the 1st. Give one of our prove it guys a shot to make a name for themselves. And Aaron Donald and our guy Mack were the only 2 who really did much last year. Unfortunately we never got a chance to see what Clowney would've done. Oh well...Anyone know how Dee Ford did? And if I recall correctly, didn't Michael Sam have like 3 sacks in preseason, then proceed to get cut like 3 times?

Quinn better be looking at it as a one year deal. Let's say he goes 6-10 in 2015 then improves slightly to 7-9 in 2016. Arthur might get a little antsy at that point, especially if we're still a sub thirty sack defense which is something he was brought in to fix. Remember we had talent. It was just played out of position and not coached up. Arthur's got to fill this stadium with PSLs and butts in seats.

2000.jpg?i=1426637434408

I think anyone expecting a huge turn around is setting themselves up for disappointment. Do I think the D is better? Yes, are we the Seahawks, not even close. As it stands, we still won't have much of a pass rush. Schofield may surprise with more snaps, but as the OP mentioned, you can't count on rooks to ball out right away. On offense, at the moment we've taken a small step back. We still don't have a TE, Roddy is a year older and Ryan lost a familiar target un HD. Oh and the OL isn't any better either.

We will face the same thing next year when all the pass rushers will come available and the Falcons get outbid.

Some TATF members will applaud sending a boy to do a man's job.

No chit...what other cooardinators and Smitty tried to do.

The draft should be a compliment...not a solution to the pass rush.

Hardy and whomever pass rusher sounds good right now at #8.

The draft should be a compliment...not a solution to the pass rush.

Hardy and whomever pass rusher sounds good right now at #8.

Ok I completely disagree here. I think FA should be where you find compliments and you look for future studs in the draft. Doing so takes time, but very rarely does a team ever allow their game changers hit FA.

Ok I completely disagree here. I think FA should be where you find compliments and you look for future studs in the draft. Doing so takes time, but very rarely does a team ever allow their game changers hit FA.

You want potentiality over actuality?

So what hope do we have next year? We still risk getting outbid.

We arnt looking for game changers, we are simply looking for players that can actually pass rush

Of course we're looking to build through the draft. The finances are so much easier for drafted players than for acquiring free agents. Building through free agency almost never works (can't really think of a time when it HAS worked, but there's probably an example).

So, barring a sweetheart deal with a super duper pass rusher (which will never happen), we really didn't have much choice but to bring in mid-tier guys to start setting up a foundation for Quinn and then hopefully draft our star players early.

The guys we had (Osi, Beirmann, Mass) were not "hungry" for redemption, production, etc. Think about it...Osi was probably jkust playing for his last contract at 33, Mass never saw minutes and it hs been rumored on numerous occasions that he lacked "fire" in his belly under the previous coaching staff, and Beirmann had the season ending injury two years ago, he probably was never fully healthy last year and really he was only best at being a situational pass rusher.

Now we bring in 3 guys (Shoefield, Clayborn and Reed) that are hungry for new beginnings and want to prove themselves...Look at what Revis has done when he has "bet" on himself to play well...getting the big contract, only allows a player to become less "hungry"...these guys NEED to produce if they want another contract (Shoefield and Clayborn). Brooks Reed will not be our specialized pass rusher...he is going to be our dominant run defender, that honestly we haven't had since Lofton left...

While yes, looking at the sack totals from last year between the two groups is scary looking, it also deceptively doesn't tell the full story...I am excited for these guys coming in "hungry", ready to prove themselves...and if one of them does prove it, than I am okay offering a a longer contract to him too.

Lastly, I am also very excited for this years draft, more than last years....we are sitting at #8 with honestly 5 solid pass rushing prospects that most likely any one of them will be there for the taking...I can upside with all 5 guys. While yes I have my favorites (Beasley, Dupree, Ray), the other two would also be great under Quinn (Gregory, Fowler)...this draft has 2 QBs that should be taken in the first 5-8 picks, plus 2 WRs that should also be Top 10 picks...

Beasley, Hageman, Soliai, Clayborn is a solid front four, plus our rotational guys of Shoefield, Babs, TJax, Goodman and probably a 2-4 round rookie, or Reed/Shembo in passing situations...

Different scheme, different attitude, different players = BETTER PASS RUSH

Its like something new around here lol

We have supposedly been building through the draft for 7 years, why am i hearing it so often now???

Must be because TD has blown so many picks its been impossible, but of course he'll all of the sudden start drafting studs under DQ's command lol

rolleyes.gif

Spending a butt load of money before Quinn even knows what he has or what he needs would be foolish.

How many times does it need to be said? You add a foundation and THEN add one or two big free agents. Not the other way around...

How good is the foundation we've been building the last few years? I think we need a cornerstone player in the front seven to build around like we had in Abe. We have drafted pass rushers the past few seasons and gotten nothing from it. If we had at least one dominant rusher it makes the whole line better. The defense will probably jump from last to mid 20's this season. Edited by txfalconfan