Grain Of Salt: Michael Bennett Seeking Trade To Atlanta

HEIST

This pretty much debunks it. Sorry guys.

The Seattle future of Seahawks pass rusher Michael Bennett came into question on Tuesday.

Although one report suggested Bennett was angling for a new contract and a trade to Atlanta, aSeahawks source confirmed to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that the pass rusher has not asked to be dealt.

Bennett has praised former Seattle defensive coordinator and new Falcons coach Dan Quinn as one of the main reasons he has improved as a player.

Atlanta would be an obvious match if there is an issue simmering below the surface with Bennett and the Seahawks.

It's quite possible that Bennett believes he has earned a raise after signing a four-year, $28.5 million contract just last March.

Bennett, 29, garnered All Pro consideration in a career year. Through three and a half quarters, he was among the MVP favorites of Super Bowl XLIX.

He might have been the rare star to outplay his contract in back-to-back seasons.

To this point, however, there appears to be more smoke than fire regarding Bennett's displeasure with the NFC champions.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast is joined by Lindsey Rhodes and analyzes every free-agent move. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479581/article/michael-bennett-has-not-asked-seahawks-for-a-trade

Doesn't really read like a debunk so much as a downplay. We already knew Seattle was denying it. Unlikely as it is I'm not counting it out till we here from a source that is Bennett or his agent.

If headlines were honest....

Per multiple sources, Michael Bennett is seeking requesting a trade to Atlanta and to get a new contract from Seattle.

see I would TOTALLY love him coming here, but seattle picking up the contract for us, that would make the deal all the sweeter...........

It's also unlikely the Seahawks would be willing to trade Bennett without receiving big-time compensation in return. By trading him, they would incur a $12 million cap acceleration in dead money, which is $4 million more than the charge they'd have by keeping him.

Also unclear is how much Bennett's unhappiness is tied to the arrival of tight end Jimmy Graham. A year ago, Bennett called the newly minted Seahawk "overrated" among other derisive adjectives.

This isn't true. This would only apply to if he were cut. $6m of that money is guaranteed salary which would be taken on by the team trading for him.

Or not trading for him because he's probably not going anywhere. :(

4) Rosenhaus is the Agent for Bennett and Hardy. Rosenhaus is currently in Dallas, and the Cowboys Beat writer was the one who broke the news..

5) This wouldn't be the first time erroneous reports were made up to better someone's market.

This still doesn't debunk it though...

1) We know Michael Bennett LOVES Seattle. He's said it multiple times on radio. He did actually take a discount to stay in Seattle, also confirmed.

2) The source on the rumour is a COWBOYS beat writer (Clarence Hill). Why would a Cowboys beat writer be the first one to break a rumor unless the rumor was somehow related to the Cowboys?

3) The Seahawks have denied Bennett requesting a trade. I've never known them to blatantly lie to 12th man.

4) Rosenhaus is the Agent for Bennett and Hardy. Rosenhaus is currently in Dallas, and the Cowboys Beat writer was the one who broke the news..

5) This wouldn't be the first time erroneous reports were made up to better someone's market.

makes sense. Rosenhaus is trying to leverave the Cowboys by making up a rumor about one of his other clients.

see I would TOTALLY love him coming here, but seattle picking up the contract for us, that would make the deal all the sweeter...........

I'd definitely love to see it happen. I just think its a ploy of some kind, either Bennett's ploy to try an rework a salary or a ploy by the agent to boost Hardy's value.

With all due respect, I think common sense debunks it.

I want this trade to happen more than anybody. I would give my pinky for this trade to happen. It's just not feasible in my opinion. Seattle hasn't talked to Bennett or Bennett's agent. This news was tweeted by a Dallas Beat Writer who most likely talked to Rosenhaus prior to contract discussions regarding Greg Hardy and the Cowboys.

If there's any truth to this rumor, why has nobody in Seattle heard about it? It's weird to me that a twitter handle from Texas is the only guy in the world to have any clue about this. That includes the franchise that Michael Bennett is currently employed by.

Common sense? Okay guess I lack that, but you can make multiple assumptions going the other way as well. The market for Defensive linemen just went up big time during Free Agency with contracts like the ones Morgan and Suh got. So even though the trade could be false, I can see him wanting a contract that pays him like a top 5 defensive lineman. I just don't think a "random dude in Texas" would make up this rumor and connect him to Atlanta out of nowhere.

However, I doubt that is was Rosenhaus that leaked this "false" information to that reporter. I'm sure Bennett wouldn't be to happy being a chess piece in his agents game for Hardy. That is if he wants to stay in Seattle.

Edited by Mattyice3

Nobody said he did make it up. You're attacking a strawman.

Attacking? Who's attacking? I'm just simply saying I don't think he would make it up. Whether someone said he made it up or not, rumors are speculated to be made up or true. I am saying I don't think he would make it up. I think he was told something.