Our Defense As Of Today.....

Untitled_5.png

A few things that stand out:

Running to the right might be bad news for offenses against this defense.

Sol - 340 pounds

Clayborn - 280 pounds

Then you have Moore and Reed there as well who are both very tough run defenders.

We've smashed Worrilow inbetween a bunch of vets. If Quinn can get Wor into attack mode and moving downhill instead of waiting for the play to come to him, he will be ok.

Obvious question marks @ the LEO position and FS right now.

LEO will be addressed with pick 8. No doubt in my mind.

FS we have a few inhouse candidates, but are unknowns. I still expect a vet brought in.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can flesh it out by placing Schofield or Starr in that LEO position. Even Maponga. It is in fact "as of today".

Yea I'd assume the two guys now would be Schofield and perhaps even Shembo.

It would wind up as Worrilow being on the bench, Reed being the MIKE and Shembo being the SAM too.

Really just speculation right now, but yea, guess I could have did better than ? lol

You can flesh it out by placing Schofield or Starr in that LEO position. Even Maponga. It is in fact "as of today".

Question for you..wouldn't Clayborn be more of a LEO in the pic with the 5 tech being TJax, zero tech being Soliali, and the 3 tech being Hageman.

The SAM would be Maponga , Schoffield or Starr, right?

Question for you..wouldn't Clayborn be more of a LEO in the pic with the 5 tech being TJax, zero tech being Soliali, and the 3 tech being Hageman.

Well, thye main reason for looking into him as LEO is his past sack numbers. I don't know for sure.

Clayborn is excellent @ setting the edge. In 2013 he was a top 5 run defender in the NFL. The LEO is almost a designated pass rusher. That would be taking away Clayborn's strength.

Well, thye main reason for looking into him as LEO is his past sack numbers. I don't know for sure.

Lol thanks. Essentially the LEO is split out wide and is your best pass rusher, right? Regardless of size, I guess

I would think as of today Reed is probably the SAM unless they move him inside

I love these topics..I learn a lot!

Southy shouldn't start at FS - he's still way to raw

Schoefield/Shembo can plug in at LEO - he's most likely better suited to start the season there than the #8 pick anyway.

WOR has the Mike until the drafted mlb takes his spot (if at all) - still think with pieces around him he can be a valuable contributor to the defence.

Anyone who thinks this lineup doesn't trump last year is kidding themselves - I'm not a hugger I just think this is a 15-20 defence provided we draft well with the top 3 picks and the offence stays around the top 5-8 mark

Clayborn is excellent @ setting the edge. In 2013 he was a top 5 run defender in the NFL. The LEO is almost a designated pass rusher. That would be taking away Clayborn's strength.

I thought of that..and there's merit to your point..but isn't the whole point of LEO being wide to get the best angle while the other side sets the edge? In the case of the 5 tech when used right, TJax is one of the best at setting the edge

I thought of that..and there's merit to your point..but isn't the whole point of LEO being wide to get the best angle while the other side sets the edge? In the case of the 5 tech when used right, TJax is one of the best at setting the edge

Yes, but Clayborn's strengths aren't as a pure pass rusher. The man is 280 pounds. He's nearly as big as Tjax, but with some actual pass rush ability. They'll platoon and Clayborn will even kick inside sometimes in obvious 3rd and long passing downs with Hageman.

Whatcha got man?

This was always my question about the Clayborn signing. That spot where he is slotted is probably where he should be, but in Iowa, and Tampa, he was forced to play as a Right End because of the Erbs Palsy in his right arm. Even the few times I've been able to find where he slid inside, it was still on the right side. As you know, in 4-3 Under, everything switches based on the strong side of the offense. Is Clayborn going to be able to do that? Is he going to be able to play on that side where he is now and hold up?

Last year, he was slotted in as a Right End. I guess Lovie was just going to put him where it made the most sense and let him sink of swim. As far as I can find, he was tracked with 52 snaps and had a negative grade. It might wind up being something he can overcome, but IMO, there's no reason to think that right now, and I would slot Jackson in as the 5-tech at this point.

If Clayborn can stay on the field and raise both his arms the same way I got no doubt he could be a pure beast for us, I just am not all that confident those two things are going to happen ...man, I loved him out of Iowa and the way he looked as a rookie, but this is a big gamble type signing. I love the player, hate his injuries and physical problems....guy has the heart of a lion that he showed as a dominant beast at Iowa,....I am praying the good lord lays his healing hands ........

lawd.gif

Yes, but Clayborn's strengths aren't as a pure pass rusher. The man is 280 pounds. He's nearly as big as Tjax, but with some actual pass rush ability. They'll platoon and Clayborn will even kick inside sometimes in obvious 3rd and long passing downs with Hageman.

You are correct sir, coming out of Hawkeye land he was the prototype 4-3 LDE .....except for the arm issue....

This was always my question about the Clayborn signing. That spot where he is slotted is probably where he should be, but in Iowa, and Tampa, he was forced to play as a Right End because of the Erbs Palsy in his right arm. Even the few times I've been able to find where he slid inside, it was still on the right side. As you know, in 4-3 Under, everything switches based on the strong side of the offense. Is Clayborn going to be able to do that? Is he going to be able to play on that side where he is now and hold up?

Last year, he was slotted in as a Right End. I guess Lovie was just going to put him where it made the most sense and let him sink of swim. As far as I can find, he was tracked with 52 snaps and had a negative grade. It might wind up being something he can overcome, but IMO, there's no reason to think that right now, and I would slot Jackson in as the 5-tech at this point.

So would he work as the RDE? Enough pass rush skills lined out wide?