Yeah, I would hate to give up two #1's as well for anyone but a QB. I'm hoping that Beasley or Fowler are there at 8, but I doubt it. There are too many teams that need pass rush help. I'm not sold on any of the other pass rushers in this draft. They might be studs, but two years to develop and then you still might have what you hope for??? If Hardy is there and has been cleared I would love to go for him, but something tells me Blank will never approve that. I think it's going to boil down to trading for Houstor or taking a less than 50/50 shot with a potential pass rusher not named Fowler or Beasley.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I would hate to give up two #1's as well for anyone but a QB. I'm hoping that Beasley or Fowler are there at 8, but I doubt it. There are too many teams that need pass rush help. I'm not sold on any of the other pass rushers in this draft. They might be studs, but two years to develop and then you still might have what you hope for??? If Hardy is there and has been cleared I would love to go for him, but something tells me Blank will never approve that. I think it's going to boil down to trading for Houstor or taking a less than 50/50 shot with a potential pass rusher not named Fowler or Beasley.

It will be either Beasley or Ray and if Beasley is gone I'll gladly take Ray at #8.

Why is TD employed then?

Because there is a LOT more to the GM job than just the draft. There is FA, cap mananagment, Trades, and tons of other stuff. A lot of these things are delegated to other people like an equipment manager but ultimately TD is still the boss. Pioli has been delegated to handle scouting and the draft which he was pretty good at building those KC defenses.

Like I said, I doubt we even sniff Hardy, but stranger things have happened. Especially with this franchise. We have too much money left not to make a move somewhere. yeah, we make sit were we are and draft at #8, but does anyone think the top 3 pass rushers are still on the board at 8? Do we take a shot at another position that has 1st round talent? Why would we when our pass rush has been the bane of the team for two years? I think a trade for Houston is probably not going to happen, but it does make sense on several levels. So with 15 million of disposable cap how do we address the pass rush???

Like I said, I doubt we even sniff Hardy, but stranger things have happened. Especially with this franchise. We have too much money left not to make a move somewhere. yeah, we make sit were we are and draft at #8, but does anyone think the top 3 pass rushers are still on the board at 8? Do we take a shot at another position that has 1st round talent? Why would we when our pass rush has been the bane of the team for two years? I think a trade for Houston is probably not going to happen, but it does make sense on several levels. So with 15 million of disposable cap how do we address the pass rush???

Agree

I don't think that some people understand how the draft works or the statistical outcome of previous drafts. There is right at a 50/50 chance that a 1st round pick will be in the NFL in four years much less a very good player. The odds drop much faster for later rounds. The draft is for filling role players and the majority of your "good or average" players. Teams are lucky when they hit the superstar with a pick. Houston just turned 26 and has gotten over the "new to the NFL and learning" phase. He is a superstar. People who think we are going to just go and get a pass rusher from the draft are very narrow minded. Yes, we may get lucky, but on average it takes about 3 #1picks at a position to get 1 very good to superstar. With Houston we will have to only give up two #1's. Yes, it is a big contract, but we can afford it and it is a trade off for not having to wait three years for him to get up to NFL speed. The more I think about it, the more I think this is the best option.

Very nice post..is it probable? Who knows but it's certainly an idea that I bet is getting tossed around in flowery branch

It's no secret I believe Hardy is what we need. I have to say, I'd be willing to find a way to get Houston, but it sure wouldn't involve two #1 picks. That's the franchise price. No one's going to touch that.

I agree. Role dice on Hardy and keep all picks and compliment him with one of the top pass rushers in the draft.

Or trade for Houston, but not for 2 first rounders. Maybe 1st and next year's 3rd?

It's been our biggest weakness for several years.

Because there is a LOT more to the GM job than just the draft. There is FA, cap mananagment, Trades, and tons of other stuff. A lot of these things are delegated to other people like an equipment manager but ultimately TD is still the boss. Pioli has been delegated to handle scouting and the draft which he was pretty good at building those KC defenses.

Pioli got fired in KC for making alot of bone headed personnel decisions....Tyson Jackson, Jonathon Baldwin are both 1st round whiffs. TD has had a checked record with draft, and we have hired an inexperienced guy as head coach, so it's not like this team is in overall wonderful hands right now in talent evaluation, based on their history.

We have Matt Ryan, Julio, Trufant , Matthews and a few other good pieces, but overall there's a ton of work to do. Falcons need to hit a HR in the next two drafts or it will get ugly here.

Edited by Vandy

I agree. Role dice on Hardy and keep all picks and compliment him with one of the top pass rushers in the draft.

Or trade for Houston, but not for 2 first rounders. Maybe 1st and next year's 3rd?

It doesn't have to be two firsts. KC is allowed to negotiate compensation. The Jared Allen trade was an example. I think it was a first and third in same year and a pick the next (not first)

We will extend Julio and take a major cap hit this season. We are sitting at 23.5mil, 17.5 after draft, 14 after emergency funds have been set aside

Baker gets the axe as a post June 1st cut (4m savings) and is a "placeholder" for our emergency funds. We extend julio, who is already on the books for 10m, to a 5 year 74M extension and take a cap hit of 24M this season. The remaining cap hits can be spread out at 12.5mil equally each season, which gives us tremendous flexibility in the future

Pioli got fired in KC for making alot of bone headed personnel decisions....Tyson Jackson, Jonathon Baldwin are both 1st round whiffs. TD has had a checked record with draft, and we have hired an inexperienced guy as head coach, so it's not like this team is in overall wonderful hands right now in talent evaluation, based on their history.

We have Matt Ryan, Julio, Trufant , Matthews and a few other good pieces, but overall there's a ton of work to do. Falcons need to hit a HR in the next two drafts or it will get ugly here.

I'm not arguing with you on this I'm actually curious. Is there a current GM in the league right now that hasn't whiffed on a couple of first round picks? I think TD is more to blame for finding barely any talent past the 2nd round. That's where I think TD sucks the most.

I'm not arguing with you on this I'm actually curious. Is there a current GM in the league right now that hasn't whiffed on a couple of first round picks? I think TD is more to blame for finding barely any talent past the 2nd round. That's where I think TD sucks the most.

Yes, they all whiff on 1st round picks some, it's not an exact science at all. Look at seattle and New England, they both missed on some pretty high draft picks the past few years. My point to the topic was the statement about Pioli now running our draft and how that was a such good thing, yet he is a guy who was ran out of KC because of poor decisions in personnel.

I think more than anything this franchise needs some good luck. We had a ton of bad luck the past two seasons with injuries ...Spoon especially as the leader of our D, but also Baker, wiley mo, julio, etc etc etc...what's a little curious is we are gambling again in FA with several guys who have some injury baggage too, which makes one wonder what have they learned?.......

Yes, they all whiff on 1st round picks some, it's not an exact science at all. Look at seattle and New England, they both missed on some pretty high draft picks the past few years. My point to the topic was the statement about Pioli now running our draft and how that was a such good thing, yet he is a guy who was ran out of KC because of poor decisions in personnel.

I think more than anything this franchise needs some good luck. We had a ton of bad luck the past two seasons with injuries ...Spoon especially as the leader of our D, but also Baker, wiley mo, julio, etc etc etc...what's a little curious is we are gambling again in FA with several guys who have some injury baggage too, which makes one wonder what have they learned?.......

I Pioli whiffed but he also got Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, and Eric Berry so he didn't completely suck. I'll wait a couple of years and see how he handles the next couple of drafts before I judge.

I don't mind the injury prone guys. A talented, uninjured player costs a LOT of money on the open market so the best value is to pay less for a guy that has been injured and hope he pulls a Thomas Davis and gets the injuries out of his system. You HAVE to be lucky and good to win a SuperBowl so here's hoping to good luck!