Canadian/cfl Players To Look Out For

Falcanuck

First off, I’d just like to say that I am extremely disappointed that the Falcons do not give more try-outs to Canadian/CFL players (or at all). Especially since TD is Canadian, played CIS (Canadian University) football and was a scout in the CFL for a number of years. For the past two seasons in a row the Indianapolis colts have signed the first overall CFL draft picks of years following. They also recently signed Duron Carter (Cris Carter’s son) who was third in the CFL in receiving yards and was quite unstoppable. Before them they signed extremely talented Jerrell Freeman, drafted Canadian Austin Collie and signed several other top Canadian players to training camp contracts.

Anywho, here’s a list of guys to look out for.

Dexter McCoil, 6’4, 220lbs, 4.6 40 DB/OLB

Rookie of the year this past CFL season. An absolute stud for the Eskimos. Finished the year first for INTs, top-20 for tackles (67), had 4 sacks, a forced fumble and 3 defensive touchdowns. This guy is the definition of a tweener, with no ‘true’ NFL position. I think he would be a fantastic big nickel player or even a straight up nickel LBer. Could play safety, but again it’s tough to tell. I see a lot of Shaq Thompson fans out there and I believe McCoil fits that bill with better coverage ability.

Solomon Elimimian, 6’0, 227lbs, 4.5 40 ILB/OLB

I’ve already talked about this guy before, but I’m including him again. Elimimian was easily the best defensive player in the CFL this season with 143 tackles (54 more than the next closest defender and a CFL record), 5 sacks, 1 INT and 3 FFs. Solomon has the most incredible motor and flies all over the field. The CFL field is at least 5 yards wider than an NFL field and he still managed to defend sideline to sideline. He is pretty small to play ILB in the NFL, but I think he would be the perfect WILL in the 4-3. Hits like a Mack truck and his coverage ability is extremely underrated.

Adarius Bowman, 6’3, 217, 4.7 40

There isn’t really a good highlight package on Bowman, so I decided to share this: Bowman and Dez Bryant were once teammates at OSU. At the time, Bowman was the more talented WR of the two. His coach in the video even said himself Bowman was a better technician and blocker. He was projected to be drafted in the top-20 of the NFL draft, however, a slow 40 and some off-field issues led to him going completely undrafted and unsigned. 5-6 years later and he’s one of the most dynamic players in the CFL leading the league in receptions (112) and yards (1456).

Eric Norwood, 6’1, 252, 4.7

Again, no current video for this guy. Collegiately this guy was a monster, with 29 sacks and 54.5 TFLs with South Carolina. He was then drafted to the Panthers in the 4th round, but was cut after just one season (for reasons I could not find out). Still only 26, Norwood came second in the CFL with 13 sacks and was a complete handful coming off the edge. He doesn’t really fit the Falcons’ scheme, and I think he would be better off as a 3-4 OLB, but his talent and relentlessness off the edge is undeniable.

Oh, and if you’ve been wondering where Bear Woods went since he left the Falcons; he finished second in the CFL in tackles and tallied 7 sacks for the Montreal Allouettes…. Still has the dreads.

Interesting write up.

I for the life of me can't understand why we didn't atleast work out Duran Carter. Just doesn't make any sense.

I remember Eric Norwood being a good college player. Sounds like he is doing great now and would be worth a look from some NFL team

Just so you guys know CFL is completely different to NFL when it comes to linemen. There is a one yard rule from the ball off the line for Dline men so the jump has to be very fast before the o-line gets set and up here it isn't so much about power but speed. That's why we see small defensive line men excel up here. There isn't much engagement on the edges and and I wouldn't be too excited about guys in CFL excelling in the NFL, not saying they can't but that player has to be very talented and powerful with very quick bursts off the line.

Just so you guys know CFL is completely different to NFL when it comes to linemen. There is a one yard rule from the ball off the line for Dline men so the jump has to be very fast before the o-line gets set and up here it isn't so much about power but speed. That's why we see small defensive line men excel up here. There isn't much engagement on the edges and and I wouldn't be too excited about guys in CFL excelling in the NFL, not saying they can't but that player has to be very talented and powerful with very quick bursts off the line.

Lol you don't have to tell me bro. I work in the CFL. This is also why I listed one single DL man with a great track record under NFL rules and listed him as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.....

Lol you don't have to tell me bro. I work in the CFL. This is also why I listed one single DL man with a great track record under NFL rules and listed him as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.....

Lol ya I coach defense line in Canada here and just thought people better not think that a bunch of candian players will make the jump into the NFL and become great players. Lol

Since you coach DL. Thoughts on Norwood? I think I was pretty spot on with my assessment, but you probably know more than me.

I completely agree with you in saying he's a 3-4 OLB and probably more of a situational or a 3rd down depth player for outside rushes. I think he would get eaten up against the run tbh

I completely agree with you in saying he's a 3-4 OLB and probably more of a situational or a 3rd down depth player for outside rushes. I think he would get eaten up against the run tbh

Yeah, that's the tough part. The CFL run game is so completely different, there's no comparison there. He likely would.