Are The Saints Really Having A Fire Sale?

DatMan

Let's start with the obvious. The Jimmy Graham trade.

Last year all we heard around here was that we overpaid for a tight end that couldn't block and who was soft and disappeared in big games.

Now that the Saints traded him for a first round pick and an all pro quality center we are having a fire sale and are doomed to mediocrity?

Jimmy Graham carries as much injury concerns as Max Unger so that being a wash it also came with a first round pick. If both players are healthy Unger makes a far greater impact than a Graham would. History proves that with this scheme. I'll remind you all that Graham was also drafted in the third round. Jimmy Graham is largely a product of the system he played in and will never have a statistical year in Seattle like his best in New Orleans. Graham also struggles mightily against NFC West defenses and now he gets them twice a year.

Trading Ben Grubbs and Kenny Stills:

Again great moves by the FO in my opinion. Grubbs has been average but not worth the money. He was asked to take a pay cut and instead was traded for a 5th round pick. The Saints have young guards that can fill in but can also address this in the draft. The Saints find absolute monsters in the late rounds of the draft on the offensive line. Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks, Terron Armstead etc

Stills was a 5th round pick that flashed but also disappeared in games much like Graham. He was a slightly more physical version of Lance Moore. In the AFC east he will be a #3 WR at best. When's the last time an offensive skill position player left New Orleans in the Payton era to have a career year or blow up statistically? Zero, zilch, nada. So the Saints traded a #3 receiver for a 3rd round pick and backup linebacker.

Cutting Lofton, Thomas, White and not resigning Robinson:

These things had to happen as they were the most glaring weaknesses on defense last year. You can go on Saints report and search for any of these players names and find more threads on people wanting to get rid of them than anything else.

The Saints now have 9 picks in the draft and 5 of the first 78. Teams don't draft nine players so you can bet they will be moving around in the draft.

I don't see any division rivals here screaming to sign any of the players released by the Saints but are trying to convince everyone including themselves that this is such a bad thing.

Cap ****? No such thing with Mickey Loomis. You don't make moves that we've made if the salary cap is an issue or a concern or the reason for any of this.

Roster moves

Lost: Graham, Thomas, Stills, Grubbs White, Lofton, Robinson, 4th round pick

Acquired: Unger, Spiller, Browner, Ellerbe, 1st round pick, 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick.

There isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't make that deal every day of the week and 5x on Sunday.

Let's say the Saints package the picks they acquired and go grab Amari Cooper or Kevin White.

The revamped offensive line coupled with Spiller and Cooper/White. The offensive is immediately better than last years. The Saints can score 30 with anyone they've ever fielded so it'll be business as usual there.

Everything I've just said has been said by Saints here for a while.

I have no doubt the Falcons, Panthers and Bucs will be doing everything they can to get better this offseason and I am waiting until post draft to judge offseason successes/failures.

The Patriots released Wilfork, Browner and Revis and no one mentions their fire sale.

Let's be realistic here. The Saints are better today than a week ago but that could be 7-9 or 13-3 next year we never know.

Are they having a fire sale? **** no

I don't see how any of that makes me a homer when everything is supported by facts.

You don't sign Browner and Spiller to those deals if any of this is for cap reasons. Not to mention the $20+ million freed up for next year.

Saints fans aren't defensive about Cap issues because they never have them. Every year you guys ***** and moan that we cheat the cap and how the **** do they find the money bla bla.

Just when you guys think your repetitive statements about next years cap finally rears it's ugly head Saints fans come along with the reality check.

Firesale, cap **** are all terms thrown around by people that can't quite grasp what they are seeing. It'll make sense eventually.

I've said before trading Graham was a good move. It sucks not to have Graham but it allows them to fill holes they previously couldn't.

Cap

Grubbs refused pay cut so he was traded

Uhh cap

lofton could never play up to that cap hit created by crazy mickeys book cooking

Cap

Stills trade was a good move

Doesn't have to be one thing or another guys

This thread is officially the who dat loommissed meeting.

Its a 12 stem program. We are here to help. Your not alone in this.

step 1) excepting you are in cap ****

step 2) think for yourself and not what SR tells you to think

step 3) use common sense

what is step 4 you ask? lets face it. No one making excuses is ever gonna make it to step 4 anyways.

This thread is officially the who dat loommissed meeting.

Its a 12 stem program. We are here to help. Your not alone in this.

step 1) excepting you are in cap ****

step 2) think for yourself and not what SR tells you to think

step 3) use common sense

what is step 4 you ask? lets face it. No one making excuses is ever gonna make it to step 4 anyways.

None of us frequent SR, you troll. You're approaching WFL levels. That's not a good thing.

I've said before trading Graham was a good move. It sucks not to have Graham but it allows them to fill holes they previously couldn't.

Cap

Uhh cap

lofton could never play up to that cap hit created by crazy mickeys book cooking

Cap

It doesn't happen often but Great post.

Cap

Uhh cap

Cap

Here's the thing though, I get what you're saying and what you've been saying, but every team does things that effects the cap during the offseason, whether it's trying to get under it or adding more, it's part of the process. Loomis could have stayed pat and do what he always does and the Saints would have went into this season with practically the same team, some rookies, and maybe a couple other players.

I did not foresee these turn of events, and no I wouldn't have traded JG (although I get the thinking behind it), but I'm looking forward to how this will all play out. Not denying they had/have cap issues, just think it's not as cut and dry as it's made to look.

Graham was a salary cap nightmare

You don't trade him to your arch rival in the playoffs for so little

Center, should have added another good starter to sweeten the pot and 1st ( which is really a second)

He will be a beast let's not pretend

And we got a whole lot out of him over his career for little $$

But I won't miss Brees trying to throw to him in triole coverage. - can you say interception boys and girls?

I knew you could.

Edited by Audiotom

Graham was a salary cap nightmare

You don't trade him to your arch rival in the playoffs for so little

Center, should have added another good starter to sweeten the pot and 1st ( which is really a second)

He will be a beast let's not pretend

And we got a whole lot out of him over his career for little $$

But I won't miss Brees trying to throw to him in triole coverage. - can you say interception boys and girls?

I knew you could.

It's not really a second, and that is the dumbest thing I've ever seen thrown around on message boards. A second is a second. A first is a first. First round pick contracts have the team 5th year option. The 31st pick is much more valuable than the 33rd.

This is so much fun to watch the level of amusement I get from some of you idiots should cost money. Lol

Dat it's the offseason Bro, this is what's going on to talk about. You can't say if the shoe was on the other foot some of us wouldn't be going all in on the fans here.

If you want the last laugh, wait till after the season and hope the Saints are on top.