Randy Gregory

etherdome

This draft is interesting because it is deep in pass rushers and running backs. It is even more interesting, to us, because it offers a handful of supremely talented pass rushers at the top.

One of the top pass rushers is Randy Gregory. Some people love him and others don't. Most of the debate centers on his weight. There is no question that he has the frame to add more muscle weight. I am not concerned about his size. But, I do have one concern.

A friend, at work, is a rabid Nebraska fan. He lives and breathes Huskers 24/7/365. Well before the draft class was coming into focus, I asked him about Gregory. I was beginning to see some reports about this terrific athlete, and I wanted to get his opinion about this prodigy. I was very surprised to hear his reaction.

This rabid Husker was not impressed with Gregory at all. Sure, he admitted that the guy was a physical stand-out. Sure, he could make phenomenal plays, from time to time. But, this rabid football fan did not like Gregory's character (for lack of a better word).

He insisted that RG is not a "thug" or trouble-maker. He simply repeated over and over that RG is not a team player. According to this fan, RG either does not comply with his defensive assignments, or he simply does not understand them. He claims that RG's mind is often "off the reservation."

I have not seen or heard anyone else talk about RG's character. I have to tell you that my work friend is an honest, straight-shooting kind of guy. He loves his Huskers and will defend those guys well beyond their playing days. It just struck me how critical he was of RG.

Has anyone else seen or heard of any problems with RG? He seems to be a reasonable guy, when he talks to the media. Seeing as how he is a likely candidate for us to draft at #8, I'd like to know more about him.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this was ever the case, it would have been widely reported by now. Im not questioning or discrediting your friend, but this doesnt seem like a glaring issue.

His teammates rave about him. His coaches have never been questioned about his work ethic.

Dante Fowler's work ethic gets questioned 24/7, but he's allegedly going to be the first pass rusher taken off the board.

If this was ever the case, it would have been widely reported by now. Im not questioning or discrediting your friend, but this doesnt seem like a glaring issue.

His teammates rave about him. His coaches have never been questioned about his work ethic.

Dante Fowler's work ethic gets questioned 24/7, but he's allegedly going to be the first pass rusher taken off the board.

Because Fowler is arguably the best combination of pure talent and athleticism with a better body of work than Dupree.

I would rather have a guy that's a good team mate, that's a player you can count on. i don't want a guy that's a cancer in the locker room and that only is there for himself. if he comes to work every day and does he's job, then more than likely he's going to be a good team mate.

Character and not sticking to your assignments are two different issues. One can be corrected.

You are right. At the time, I could not think of the right word. Doubting RG's character is an insult that I should have avoided. I could have chosen other traits, like "football smarts" or "awareness", but I don't want to insult this young man's intelligence.

The question is whether RG would be the right choice, if he is available at our pick. I don't question his physical abilities. I don't question his desire to be great. I just want to make sure that we don't draft a player that zigs while the rest of the defense zags. Those kind of players make a great play form time to time, but more often leave gaping holes in a defense.

I would rather have a guy that's a good team mate, that's a player you can count on. i don't want a guy that's a cancer in the locker room and that only is there for himself. if he comes to work every day and does he's job, then more than likely he's going to be a good team mate.

OK, now we are talking about a two different things. Someone that you can count on is a guy that nows his job and does it. A cancer in the locker room is someone that destroys team chemistry on a personal level.

I don't think that RG is a locker room cancer. I think that he is a personable guy that gets along with his team mates. What I am questioning is his willingness/ability to understand and play within the confines of the defensive scheme.

Lawrence Taylor is a great example of the exception. He didn't follow any reads, nor was he expected to. The Giants' defensive scheme revolved around LT getting after the ball. Everyone else had a defined role. So, holes and gaps were covered. All LT had to do was use his supreme gifts to crush the QB or annihilate the RB.

RG is not that kind of talent. Quinn will not build the entire defense around one player. There are maybe two defenders that would warrant that kind of role: Suh and Watts. Apart from them, every defender in the league has to fit into the defensive scheme.

This draft is interesting because it is deep in pass rushers and running backs. It is even more interesting, to us, because it offers a handful of supremely talented pass rushers at the top.

One of the top pass rushers is Randy Gregory. Some people love him and others don't. Most of the debate centers on his weight. There is no question that he has the frame to add more muscle weight. I am not concerned about his size. But, I do have one concern.

A friend, at work, is a rabid Nebraska fan. He lives and breathes Huskers 24/7/365. Well before the draft class was coming into focus, I asked him about Gregory. I was beginning to see some reports about this terrific athlete, and I wanted to get his opinion about this prodigy. I was very surprised to hear his reaction.

This rabid Husker was not impressed with Gregory at all. Sure, he admitted that the guy was a physical stand-out. Sure, he could make phenomenal plays, from time to time. But, this rabid football fan did not like Gregory's character (for lack of a better word).

He insisted that RG is not a "thug" or trouble-maker. He simply repeated over and over that RG is not a team player. According to this fan, RG either does not comply with his defensive assignments, or he simply does not understand them. He claims that RG's mind is often "off the reservation."

I have not seen or heard anyone else talk about RG's character. I have to tell you that my work friend is an honest, straight-shooting kind of guy. He loves his Huskers and will defend those guys well beyond their playing days. It just struck me how critical he was of RG.

Has anyone else seen or heard of any problems with RG? He seems to be a reasonable guy, when he talks to the media. Seeing as how he is a likely candidate for us to draft at #8, I'd like to know more about him.

Well. I'm just not a fan of his period for many reasons.. to many others to take a chance of any kind, I see a couple of can't miss players,, IMO,,, Fowler or Beasley is who I'm hoping for either one...

Why would we blow an 8th on a 34 OLB?

And this is where people mess up at...

Clay Matthews was supposed to only be 34 olb. Bet you would like having him.

Bruce Irvin was supposed to only be a 34 olb....

You dont worry about scheme. You get the best player and make it work.

Exactly. Players of that caliber will most likely thrive in any scheme.

the LEO position in Quinn's system is more of a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE anyway.

MuthHawks-1.jpg

I have not watched a lot of Nebraska football and I know you cannot just watch a highlight video and know about a player. Having said that, he looks pretty dayum good to me.

The guy has more potential than anybody else in this draft. If Dan Quinn really is what he's made out to be, then Gregory will truly be a wild card and a force. He's a legit matchup nightmare that can be groomed.

I get that some people may have their preferences as to who they like most in this draft, but Gregory gets the worst rap because people are still blinded by the struggles of Dion Jordan.

But they are two totally different players.