The Curious Case Of Lawrence Sidbury!

slider

I notice he's a UFA from Tampa Bay. Why did he fizzle? Lack of opportunity? Off field distractions? Mis-handled by coaches? No real talent?

Anyone have any real insight on that? (I know there are plenty of opinions)

He was one of those real dis-appointments. (ala- Johnathan Massaquoi)

The Smitty era seems to be littered with failed DE's. I wonder how much scheme might've played a part?

All I remember is Abe said he thought the guy was gonna be the next John Abraham. Certainly looks the part!

I wonder if he might be worth adding as a camp body just in case he comes out of his shell all of a sudden?

Sidbury like many others before him throughout the league has potential and good be very good, but they fail to work at being better. Some guys are just physically gifted more than most and making plays/doing well come easy for them. Others like Sudbury need to work at it. The world is full of people who have potential, but usually immaturity, self entitlement and just plain stupidity get in the way of being all you can be. I myself wasted my younger years (20's) by thinking I was doing enough, when I could have been doing so much more.

Sidbury like many others before him throughout the league has potential and good be very good, but they fail to work at being better. Some guys are just physically gifted more than most and making plays/doing well come easy for them. Others like Sudbury need to work at it. The world is full of people who have potential, but usually immaturity, self entitlement and just plain stupidity get in the way of being all you can be. I myself wasted my younger years (20's) by thinking I was doing enough, when I could have been doing so much more.

A lot of wisdom in this post. ^^^

icon_soapbox.gifI wonder how many of the people who think that Sidbury's and Massaquoi's failings are on the coaches, are also in their 20's or younger? This should be called the Pass-the-buck generation, because they always have somebody else to blame when they don't succeed. Never any accountability on the person who is actually doing the failing. rant.gif

Sidbury is going out of the league, not because he wasn't talented, dude was physically gifted (and really smart too), but something just wasn't there for him and he never really seemed to dedicate 100% to the work he needed to do to improve & stay in the league. JMO anyway. And for Massaquoi, I think it's pretty telling that one of the 1st guys Quinn lets go is this guy who was the fans poster boy against Smith.

I wouldn't say it's done to immaturity, self entitlement or stupidity.

The job that these guys do is a huge grind. Getting physically beaten on every day for 6 months, the long taxing hours of practice and study, travelling thousands of miles every other week, the pain of dealing with and recovering from physical injury. These guys are required to give more, physically, mentally and emotionally than any normal person wants to. It doesn't surprise me at all, that to a lot of these guys it stops being fun and becomes just a job that pays the bills.

Sidbury's problem was that he was drafted 1 year after Biermann, and Koroy was always 1 year further ahead of him his development - so Sid spent a lot of his time inactive or warming the bench. Biermann became AFMB's scapegoat in 2014, but early in his career he showed real promise and outperformed where he was selected in the draft. The coaching staff probably saw a guy who they thought/hoped would developing in to at least a 7-8 sack a season player. We also had a horrible DL coach - one who whislt coaching in the 2012 pro-bowl was telling all-pro players not to use the hand fighting techniques that had helped make them successful. Poor coaching and a shortage of opportunity can lead to a lack of motivation and underachievement. The again, maybe he wouldn't have been good enough anyway...

icon_soapbox.gifI wonder how many of the people who think that Sidbury's and Massaquoi's failings are on the coaches, are also in their 20's or younger? This should be called the Pass-the-buck generation, because they always have somebody else to blame when they don't succeed. Never any accountability on the person who is actually doing the failing. rant.gif

Sidbury is going out of the league, not because he wasn't talented, dude was physically gifted (and really smart too), but something just wasn't there for him and he never really seemed to dedicate 100% to the work he needed to do to improve & stay in the league. JMO anyway. And for Massaquoi, I think it's pretty telling that one of the 1st guys Quinn lets go is this guy who was the fans poster boy against Smith.

Excellent point about the pass the buck generation. You don't know how many times I cringed after hearing that coaches don't develop em bush it. First of all, they did develop several players. Secondly, this game takes heart, courage, want to and attitude to play. Coaches aren't heart or brain surgeons.

Here is the recipe for what happened to

Lawrence Sidbury: He came to us as a very

dominant speed rusher with 4.5 speed. He was

put on a "development" program which included

bulking him up. He was allowed to stand and watch

rather than playing right away. When he finally got

some playing time he got a few sacks but they did not

earn him more playing time.

He continued to bulk up and rust out from lack

of play and at some point in the "development"

process it was counterproductive. He could no longer

move like he did when we first got him.

DE Mathews has been brought in the same way.

Ditto on Goodman but the new regime is going to

try to get him lighter and quicker. Hopefully it is

not too late for him.

Edited by HOYLE

I wouldn't say it's done to immaturity, self entitlement or stupidity.

The job that these guys do is a huge grind. Getting physically beaten on every day for 6 months, the long taxing hours of practice and study, travelling thousands of miles every other week, the pain of dealing with and recovering from physical injury. These guys are required to give more, physically, mentally and emotionally than any normal person wants to. It doesn't surprise me at all, that to a lot of these guys it stops being fun and becomes just a job that pays the bills.

Sidbury's problem was that he was drafted 1 year after Biermann, and Koroy was always 1 year further ahead of him his development - so Sid spent a lot of his time inactive or warming the bench. Biermann became AFMB's scapegoat in 2014, but early in his career he showed real promise and outperformed where he was selected in the draft. The coaching staff probably saw a guy who they thought/hoped would developing in to at least a 7-8 sack a season player. We also had a horrible DL coach - one who whislt coaching in the 2012 pro-bowl was telling all-pro players not to use the hand fighting techniques that had helped make them successful. Poor coaching and a shortage of opportunity can lead to a lack of motivation and underachievement. The again, maybe he wouldn't have been good enough anyway...

Sugar Bear Hamilton coached up plenty good DLinemen in his career. Go read his resume. He was not the problem. Bryan Cox was to be the almighty savior and upgrade. He helped oversee a defense that dropped to 22 sacks and in most games looked like road kill and speed bumps trying to stop rushing attacks. His pet project Hageman is a classic example of what was described earlier. A big baby with huge potential that could easily get wasted. Yeah he got one sack but for the most part he wasted a season. You just don't know how many times I wanted to drive up to the branch and put my foot up his as. He is one that definitely needs brain surgery and a heart transplant.

I have learnd on the boards that if a player does poorly but is generally liked. Then that player was miss used, or improperly coached, maybe even held back for some obscure but vindictive reason (DD). On the other hand if a player is generally disliked. Well, you get the picture.

Edited by Door Gunner

First off...I made no inferences about the coaches, I threw out as many possibilities as came to mind asking for insight to it not opinion. Some people here might actually know, I was curious.

Secondly, if you looked into the people you try to insult you would find from their posts, at least in my case they might just be the exact opposite of what you suppose. You will not find Smitty bashing in my past. Thirdly , you're about 3 decades off on the age, all three of those decades have been spent coaching the 4-3 defense at some level.

Lastly, the 4-3 DE position is one that can easily be mis- used by scheme if zone blitzing and cover responsibilities are foisted upon players who are not cut out for those things.

My comment about the failed DE,s in the Smitty era was one of observation not accusation I don't deal in that. I might have said the TD era if he had just left but he didn't. I was here in the Norb Hecker era so as far as that is concerned my question didn't come from lack of perspective.

I respectfully understand your opinion on the matter but it appears to be devoid of what I was clearly looking for which was actual insight.

Let me check my first post though did I misspell and write insult instead. ... no I sure didn't!

Edited by slider

Thank you for posting this especially in regards to Hageman. You nailed it when you said he got one sack, that is right one freaking sack. Post after post on this board have this mental midget as not only a day one starter but a day one starter with a Suh like presence and it is laughable. He will come in aloof and out of shape and the exact same drama that played out last year will play out again. Could he help, absolutely but I would not hold your breath for anyone who thinks this guy will make a difference.

I used to work with someone close to his Family in Maryland. Apparently he's really stubborn, and not the best attitude. I had a lot of Hope for him. His college tape was a fun watch.

Thank you paulitik, I appreciate your insight into the matter. When I saw Sids name on the free agent list it just hurt. If there was a prototypical rush DE with huge potential it was him. I would trust Abe to know talent when he sees it which Just sort of confirmed what I was observing from Sid up to that point. For every Tom Brady or Kurt Warner there are 1000 guys who had the talent but not the opportunity and Just faded away. Sometimes it's not bad attitude or lack of effort. I was wondering.

He just might not be that good. It happens to a lot of players.

it's amazing that even after a player who was 'misused' here has failed at making it on several other teams, it's still the fault of our coaching staff for not using him right to start with.

sometimes the guy just doesn't have everything he was thought to have when he was drafted and just don't work out.......

it's amazing that even after a player who was 'misused' here has failed at making it on several other teams, it's still the fault of our coaching staff for not using him right to start with.

sometimes the guy just doesn't have everything he was thought to have when he was drafted and just don't work out.......

He only had one other team and didn't get the opportunity there. You are right in your statement above but the operative word there is "sometimes". Most of the time other things go into it. I'm especially sensitive to these type of talent wasted stories because I have my own and it had nothing to do with attitude or work ethic but I'm sure many of those who expected to see me in the majors and never did made up some story in their minds based on pre conceived notions that as long as you have good work ethic and talent you'll make your way to the top while the theme from rocky plays in the background. That ain’t real life my friends.