I Like Quinn, But ...

Since I'm on the edge of senility, it seemed to take me half a day to remember one word.

The very articulate MIKE Smith used the word soon after he had been hired - "daunting."

In regard to getting the FALCONS back to winning, he said "It is NOT a daunting task."

We need to remember the wisdom of the previous guy as we stand behind the new guy.

When asked if he was rebuilding, his very simple answer was "Every NFL team

is rebuilding every off season." My quote may not be exact, but I remember.

Do you? Dan Quinn is no more and no less rebuilding the Falcons

than Super Bowl winning Bill Belichick is rebuilding his team.

my questions for anyone who has read me thus far:

1 - Do you expect the Falcons under Quinn to do a little better than Mike Smith's last

season OR better than Coach Smith's first?

Remember there have only been, in ALL of Falcons history, only 3 coaches that ended

with winning records - Smitty and Jim Mora, JR. under present ownership and Leman

Bennet under the ownership of Rankin Smith. Dan Reaves took the Falcons to

their only Super Bowl but ended his time with a losing record and was sent

packing by Mr. Blank.

2nd question - Seems to me that most of the free agent acquisitions have been

linebackers. If Quinn likes a lot linebackers, that's fine with me, but this greatly

reduces chances that the number one pick will be another linebacker.

Agree or disagree?

It's harsh of me to say, but if Quinn can't do better than Smith did last year, then he is a wasted hire.

I say this because, a coach that no one here had ever heard of, came to the Falcons and went to the playoffs his first year and with a rookie QB. I say this because, this is a team that is in a division that is not very god right now, so it is up for grabs.

I look at it like this:

1) A more balanced offense will help the defense. We got progressively further from this in Smitty's tenure. At first it was okay because Matt needed to develop into a field general, but it really put pressure on the defense. Hopefully we're returning to a more balanced attack.

2) Despite our record from the previous season, we weren't given a very favorable schedule heading in. This year we have a schedule more reflecting of our record.

3) Regardless of whether or not the talent has been upgraded, we should at least be a deeper team.

I think that's fairly objective, without being critical toward anyone. I don't know what the record will be or if the players will buy in or even be healthy.

I won't be judging this hire and the season based off of W/L record, I'll be judging it by whether we look to have an identity and whether our defense looks to have changed considerably for the better. That said, I can see us with 8+ wins pretty easily.

Also, our LBs and DL were really shallow depth-wise last year, I have no doubt our first round pick will be one of the big pass rushers.

Quinn does not have a #33 security blanket yet, **** this team is gonna need that more than the 2008 team. Not knocking Quinn just the way its setting up so many young and new guys. Caught lightening in a bottle with Ryan and Turner in 2008 ball control,play action passes wore out defenses, defense was just good enough to get some pressure and turnovers. 2015 Birds are sorely lacking talent defensively,but also veteran established leadership.a dominate running game,a cohesive OL. Hopefully Shanahan's offense will breath new air in the offense keeps Ryan upright, and they get a rookie RB who can be a little bit of a workhorse to take pressure off the defense that more than likely will have some growing pains.

`

Since I'm on the edge of senility, it seemed to take me half a day to remember one word.

The very articulate MIKE Smith used the word soon after he had been hired - "daunting."

In regard to getting the FALCONS back to winning, he said "It is NOT a daunting task."

We need to remember the wisdom of the previous guy as we stand behind the new guy.

1 - Do you expect the Falcons under Quinn to do a little better than Mike Smith's last

Remember there have only been, in ALL of Falcons history, only 3 coaches that ended

with winning records - Smitty and Jim Mora, JR. under present ownership and Leman

packing by Mr. Blank.

linebackers. If Quinn likes a lot linebackers, that's fine with me, but this greatly

Agree or disagree?

1st question:Yes I believe we will be better than last year for multiple reasons.

2nd question:The only LB that I can think of us taking with the first pick is Vic Beasley and no it doesn't reduce the chances of us taking him.To call the position he would play in our defense just a LB isn't completely true.The Leo position in the defense most predict we will play is a kind of hybrid between between DE and a pass rusher type LB

Edited by Jpowers

Quinn does not have a #33 security blanket yet, **** this team is gonna need that more than the 2008 team. Not knocking Quinn just the way its setting up so many young and new guys. Caught lightening in a bottle with Ryan and Turner in 2008 ball control,play action passes wore out defenses, defense was just good enough to get some pressure and turnovers. 2015 Birds are sorely lacking talent defensively,but also veteran established leadership.a dominate running game,a cohesive OL. Hopefully Shanahan's offense will breath new air in the offense keeps Ryan upright, and they get a rookie RB who can be a little bit of a workhorse to take pressure off the defense that more than likely will have some growing pains.

I have said this so many times. Good post

Quinn is on board with all of the signings. These are the people he wanted for what he wants to do. Until the whole thing is developed, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the show.

As for the questions:

1. Tough to expect to do better than the 2008 season given the state of the team. I expect to be better than last season and wouldn't be shocked if we win the division (almost expect it)

2. I disagree. I'd almost bet that we go with one of the marquee pass rushers in the draft at #8.

Hard to judge someone when you have never seen them coach a game.The moves so far in free agency make sense,rebuilding the defense is what is needed starting with linebackers and edge rushers.Optimistic prediction for next year would be 9-7, pessimistic: 7-9 still need to see what happens in the draft,hopefully Beasley is there at 8 and we find a solid running back at 3 or 4 .

My thoughts:

1. Schofield and Reed are LBs but you may see one or both line up as DEs. Same with a Beasley, Ray or Fowler

2. Smitty inherited a shtload of decent Reeves/Mckay players. Quinny inherited a mish mash of Dimi players

3. Quinny hasn't found his Michael Turner yet. Gurley at all cost

4. We should have signed one of the top pass rushers. Not all run stoppers. We were a 22 sack team and sacks aint overrated

5. Too early for predictions but we live in a worst to first type division and always believe we can whoop some as

packing by Mr. Blank.

Agree or disagree?

Question one I expect his 1st season to fall somewhere between Smith's first season and his last season.

2nd question is that I agree with you but I still think we probably will. Though what we have done in FA does not guarantee we sit at 8 and take the best pass rusher left. We have given our self some flexibility in the draft this year.

Yes atlanta will be better next year than we were this year.

Personally I'm over the Mike Smith era. I appreciate what he did... But I'm ready to go the complete opposite direction

I Ditto your remarks.

One thing extra.......

Since Smitty took the reins in 2008 the league has gotten better. Better coaching, better players.

I think this is a factor many overlook.

The NFL is constantly improving, but some of the franchises do not.

That is what makes Bill Belichick so amazing. He's timeless, relentless, and d.amn sharp.

He deserves all the credit he gets.......and more.