The Case For Randy Gregory

KRUNKuno

Simply put, there's no classification for this guy. He can rush the passer with speed or strength. His variety of pass rush moves is unparalleled to any other in this draft. He is a relentless game changer.

Yet, he's being overlooked. But for what reasons?

Is it his size?

Gregory, at 6'5" 235 during the combine, showed up 3 pounds heavier at his pro day. He has stated that he is able to gain and drop weight with ease. His frame has led many analyst to agree that this is true. Gregory also managed to put up 24 reps on the bench. Size and power will not be a concern for him once he gets to the nfl.

Is it his injury history?

Gregory has been labeled as an injury liability. 2014 saw him battle a slew of injuries including a knee, minor issue from his basketball days, and an ankle sprain. Despite these injuries, Gregory managed to run a low 4.6 forty at the combine while displaying freakish ease completing linebacker drills. I would say the iniuries are not a big deal.

Is it his "troubled" past?

Gregory took the juco route before entering into Nebraska. Greg Hardy has been accused of domestic violence, yet many of you discredit his "troubles".

Randy Gregory transcends classification, and oftentimes that scares people away. Dan Quinn had a guy named Bruce Irvin who transcended classification yet turned out to be a key piece in Seattle's defense. Gregory has the attributes to be matchup nightmare more so than any other defensive player in this draft.

Im sure you've all seen the highlights. They're amazing. But I have come away more impressed with the following video:

http://youtu.be/ahT4NEM3EX0

Time and time again we shy away from guys that we dont think we need because they dont fit the system, or may not have the protypical size. Let's not make this mistake any longer. Put this guy on the field and good things will happen.

If he can gain weight easily then why didn't he?

That's not the point. The point is that he can if needed. If coaches want him to gain weight, which most likely they will, then he can.

Maybe Nebraska never asked him to gain weight. He played well without it.

Gregory has always been overrated. From season's beginning, I've said that he doesn't play like a top 10 pick. If you use a pick that high on him, then your basing on "potential" more than anything else.

Care to explain?

Because I was in that same boat. Then I did more research, and couldn't find not one negative thing about the guy.

And with any pick you're basing it off of potential. That's what the draft is.

for me the size is questionable, so are his get off and motor. Yeah he flashes, but whoever compared him to Dion Jordan was spot on IMO.

It's not even close. People see the size and instantly think of another player they've seen before when the truth is there are no two players that play exactly alike.

What comparison have you seen that turned out to actually be true? Every year somebody says "he's the next wes welker". Still waiting on that one.

Dion Jordan is a speed rusher. Randy Gregory is a technician with high athleticism. He sets up his spass rush and is not one dimensional in attacking the quarterback.

And since everybody else likes to add in the Dan Quinn multiplier, just think about what Dan Quinn can do with this guy.

It's not even close. People see the size and instantly think of another player they've seen before when the truth is there are no two players that play exactly alike.

What comparison have you seen that turned out to actually be true? Every year somebody says "he's the next wes welker". Still waiting on that one.

Dion Jordan is a speed rusher. Randy Gregory is a technician with high athleticism. He sets up his spass rush and is not one dimensional in attacking the quarterback.

And since everybody else likes to add in the Dan Quinn multiplier, just think about what Dan Quinn can do with this guy.

Actually going to agree with my former bish here. I don't like the Dion Jordan comparisons. I feel as though Gregory converts speed to power better than any of the consensus guys. Size wise though yeah its a good comparison, but not skill set.

Gregory has always been overrated. From season's beginning, I've said that he doesn't play like a top 10 pick. If you use a pick that high on him, then your basing on "potential" more than anything else.

He puts up 3rd rounder stats against the big10.... Which is arguably the weakest big 5 conference

You guys really need to watch full games.

I still like him over Fowler, and maybe around as much as Dupree, but every time someone uses highlights to try and prove a point I sigh a bit.

just watched this a 3rd time, that get off still makes me cringe. Only sack he got was a blown protection, couldnt beat his man 1 v 1 either on the left or the right side. Run at him all day, easy yards. I just dont see the "variety of pass rush moves" OP saw in his sleep.

I dont think Gregory can play in a 4-3 unless its at SLB, thats just my personal opinion.

You guys really need to watch full games.

I still like him over Fowler, and maybe around as much as Dupree, but every time someone uses highlights to try and prove a point I sigh a bit.

Ive watched that video plenty of times, but why would I use subpar game film to prove my point?

Every prospect has games where they are washed out. It happens. It wasnt his best performance, but there were still good parts in there. Of course he's not going to hulk through the offensive line on run plays, but he's not getting totally annihilated as some would lead you to believe. He stands up well against the run imo.

And I dont buy into the getting off the snap thing too much when he had a low 1.62 10 yard split at the combine.

Ive watched that video plenty of times, but why would I use subpar game film to prove my point?

Every prospect has games where they are washed out. It happens. It wasnt his best performance, but there were still good parts in there. Of course he's not going to hulk through the offensive line on run plays, but he's not getting totally annihilated as some would lead you to believe. He stands up well against the run imo.

And I dont buy into the getting off the snap thing too much when he had a low 1.62 10 yard split at the combine.

Watching games trumps the combine. He does not have a fast getoff, period. And this isn't just that Rutgers game, it's every game. That Miami game is one of his better ones, but they also didn't use every snap of his.

just watched this a 3rd time, that get off still makes me cringe. Only sack he got was a blown protection, couldnt beat his man 1 v 1 either on the left or the right side. Run at him all day, easy yards. I just dont see the "variety of pass rush moves" OP saw in his sleep.

I dont think Gregory can play in a 4-3 unless its at SLB, thats just my personal opinion.

Not sure I agree with all that. When i watched it I see him getting double teamed a ton. Rutgers QB did a good job of getting the ball out pretty fast. He was triple teamed a few times. And on one of the double teams he gets knocked down and then gets back up and makes the TFL in the backfield on the QB. There wasn't a whole lot of times he was 1v1 where the QB even held the ball long enough for him to get a sack. And as far as against the run he set the edge well almost the entire game except for when he was double teamed.

His worst play was the QB run up the ride sideline where he couldn't locate the ball. His ball get off isn't always bad. Sometimes he gets off pretty fast and sometimes he doesn't. Otherwise i don't see that as a bad game for him.

Not sure I agree with all that. When i watched it I see him getting double teamed a ton. Rutgers QB did a good job of getting the ball out pretty fast. He was triple teamed a few times. And on one of the double teams he gets knocked down and then gets back up and makes the TFL in the backfield on the QB. There wasn't a whole lot of times he was 1v1 where the QB even held the ball long enough for him to get a sack. And as far as against the run he set the edge well almost the entire game except for when he was double teamed.

His worst play was the QB run up the ride sideline where he couldn't locate the ball. His ball get off isn't always bad. Sometimes he gets off pretty fast and sometimes he doesn't. Otherwise i don't see that as a bad game for him.

Yeah, I didn't think it was an unfair representation at all. He does get double teamed a lot. As a matter of fact, I do think his run defense is better than his pass rushing...I still feel somewhat alone in that though.

for me the size is questionable, so are his get off and motor. Yeah he flashes, but whoever compared him to Dion Jordan was spot on IMO.

While I was the one to compare him to Dion Jordan, Gregory's pass rush is much, much more refined. Overall, they are both not fantastic football players and more so a scouts measurable dream.