Could Rob Housler Be Falcons' Answer At Tight End?

theProf

Could Rob Housler be Falcons' answer at tight end?

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

A couple of tight end targets got away from the Atlanta Falcons to start free agency. Will another one end up elsewhere?

A source told ESPN.com that former Arizona Cardinals tight end Rob Housler "visited" the Falcons on Friday. It's unclear whether Housler remains in town or intends to sign. Discussions are ongoing, according to the source.

The Falcons already watched Niles Paul re-sign with the Washington Redskins and Lance Kendricks re-sign with the St. Louis Rams. In fact, Kendricks said Friday he turned down more money from the Falcons to sign a four-year, $18.5-million contract with the Rams.

Kendricks explained why he spurned the Falcons to ESPN's St. Louis Rams reporter, Nick Wagoner.

"It’s not always about the money," Kendricks said. "I think being able to come to work and be happy and work with some of the people that [you] love being around, that’s a little more important, just the common bond we all have as players and players from St. Louis. We all kind of walk with a chip on our shoulders. For me, I just love it here, so I [had] to make sure I was able to stay."

Kendricks said the Falcons didn't hide how they felt about him.

"Atlanta really pushed hard to get me and they made their interest known very soon, which told me that I’m a valuable player, which shows a lot and goes to the hard work that we all put in," he said, according to Wagoner. "I’m just glad to know that I’m valued and wanted."

Kendricks would have been a great red-zone target in Kyle Shanahan's system. Of course, the Falcons have been without a pass-catching tight end since Tony Gonzalez retired last offseason. Levine Toilolo, a big target at 6-foot-8 and 265 pounds, had his share of drops last season. He had the league's fourth-highest drop percentage among tight ends with at least 50 targets at 7.8 percent, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Toilolo and Seattle's Jimmy Graham, formerly of the New Orleans Saints, were the only tight ends with three drops in a game last season.

Housler caught just nine passes for 129 yards and no touchdowns last season and had a career-high 45 catches for 417 yards and no touchdowns in 2012. As ESPN's Arizona Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss pointed out, Housler simply was not a fit for the system last year and is not exactly known for his blocking.

We'll see how things end up for the Falcons. If Housler doesn't work out and if the Falcons decide not to look into free agent Jermaine Gresham, the draft likely will be the next-best option, although it's a down year for tight ends.

I want a tight end that can block and move people.

I wish we could trade a 5th or 6th round pick for Mercedes Lewis. He can block and make a catch here and there.

The Saints actually just traded for him right after the JG deal...

... so if the Saints have him, he's probably already up for sale! MAKE IT HAPPEN TD!! laugh.png

I want a tight end that can block and move people.

I wish we could trade a 5th or 6th round pick for Mercedes Lewis. He can block and make a catch here and there.

He's one of the reasons why Blaine Gabbert's rookie year was a dunce. I remember one particular game where Gabbert was hitting him on every pass and he dropped most of em. Even the announcer said something about him not helping out the rookie qb. Long story short: Lewis sucks.

Levine Toilolo has 4 times as many TDs as Housler, and been in the NFL half as long.

Just saying.

And whom has been throwing at Housler during that time exactly?

I would flip if we got Housler. Between him and Schofield this would be a better offseason than I ever could have hoped for.

And whom has been throwing at Housler during that time exactly?

I would flip if we got Housler. Between him and Schofield this would be a better offseason than I ever could have hoped for.

Carson Palmer isn't a bad QB when he's on the field.

He may turn out to be great, I just find the fascination with him funny. I got mocked for suggesting Scott Chandler, then the Pats picked him up, because you know what a bad judge of talent Belichick is.