For Those Upset About Our Moves In Fa, 2 Things

JDaveG

1) We have to rebuild this team. We need these depth and role player and risk/reward signings, because we lack talent across the board. If a combination of moves improves the overall talent of the team, it is a good combination of moves.

2) When is the last time a team "won" free agency and then won the Super Bowl? The Saints got Byrd last year. People were penciling them in to win the South and go to the dance. The Eagles a few years ago made all the big splashes and went, IIRC, 6-10. We don't need to sign a bunch of high priced guys to fill out the roster. We need to get a handful of key FAs in place, add depth, and then hit it hard in the draft.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where both sides of the argument are coming from.

I'm in your camp OP. I believe we are rebuilding and the guys we are signing now are the foundation for a really good future Falcon defense. Lots of holes to fill and signing two guys at 10 mil each will still leave Bartu playing OLB for this defense.

I do understand the argument of "when has this ever worked out in the past" as far as our FA signings go because lets face it, we've made some terrible offseason moves in the recent past. My rebuttal to this is simply that we have an ENTIRE new coaching staff and even though our GM is still our GM, I think Quinn has much more to say about who gets signed and therefore i'm not going to thew the brand new HC under the bus and say he is making "poor decisions."

I see where both sides of the argument are coming from.

I'm in your camp OP. I believe we are rebuilding and the guys we are signing now are the foundation for a really good future Falcon defense. Lots of holes to fill and signing two guys at 10 mil each will still leave Bartu playing OLB for this defense.

I do understand the argument of "when has this ever worked out in the past" as far as our FA signings go because lets face it, we've made some terrible offseason moves in the recent past. My rebuttal to this is simply that we have an ENTIRE new coaching staff and even though our GM is still our GM, I think Quinn has much more to say about who gets signed and therefore i'm not going to thew the brand new HC under the bus and say he is making "poor decisions."

I can definitely see both sides. But as much as I'd like to have the top FA to fill every hole on our team, we simply have too many holes. We're probably between $15m and $20m under the cap now. We have to sign our draft picks, so that drops it to $9m to $16m. Let's say we signed someone like Suh -- now we're out of cap room, and we still need a TE, a safety, and at least one o-lineman. Plus the team likes to carry some cash into the season for emergencies, a tactic I'm not fond of, but I can't change.

We're improving the team. Are we going to win the Super Bowl this season? Very, very doubtful. Will we be better? I think we will.

NIce try OP but take it from me, you cannot use logic on some folks here. Because we didn't make a splash signing and/or they didn't get "their guy" that they are absolutely sure is going to turn the team around the moment he walks into Flowery Branch then they are going to go running around like chicken little. Happens all the time.

I also agree Op. There were opinions last year, Brian Billick for one, that we didn't even have an NFL caliber "D" in terms of personnel. Without a doubt there are risks involved here with injury history's, but just adding one or two studs to a poor defense won't get it done either.

I can definitely see both sides. But as much as I'd like to have the top FA to fill every hole on our team, we simply have too many holes. We're probably between $15m and $20m under the cap now. We have to sign our draft picks, so that drops it to $9m to $16m. Let's say we signed someone like Suh -- now we're out of cap room, and we still need a TE, a safety, and at least one o-lineman. Plus the team likes to carry some cash into the season for emergencies, a tactic I'm not fond of, but I can't change.

We're improving the team. Are we going to win the Super Bowl this season? Very, very doubtful. Will we be better? I think we will.

So Suh is the best you have? I havnt actually seen anyone pen they wanted Suh or the 'top' free agent in the crop.

Im pretty sure we all just wanted to see a signing or 2 that signified the FO was actually wanting to fix the pass rush. Instead we picked up some bit players that are often on IR. Whoopdeedoo

It makes sense to see which players successfully transition to the new schemes before spending big. That said, you need to fill obvious holes, create competition, and add depth.

I think the FO will have an excellent offseason if this leads them more in the bpa/value direction rather than needs based.

There's a gap though, between spending 15M on a player, and just getting 3M players. I'm actually ok with this free agency, but expected a couple of 5-7M guys to go with the lower signings.

For instance, this free agency, if Boling and Morgan had been signed as well, would look radically better, and we'd still be paying mostly mid tier prices and filling a lot of holes.

Honestly I'm good with all of the moves so far and agree! Signing two high dollar FA won't win us anything! Quinn has to get his type of guys in here and build this team up through the draft! Just look at Seattles defense! It looks like Quinn is taking the same approach and I'lol wait until the season is done before I say anything! People need to calm down! We're in the NFC south! The Saints are gutting there roster, & Tampa Bay has major work to do! Killa Cam and the Panties aren't major threats either so people need to relax!

Agree 100% I think we will save some cap space so that we can sign julio next season and still have some space for FA

With the viewpoint that the team is in shambles, we have no depth, very little talent and there's no sense even contemplating how many seasons it will be before there is any chance of being a play-off team, I agree the players we're bringing in are just fine. Now that we have Clayborn and Schofield, with another young pass rusher coming in the first round of the draft, we should at least have some semblance of a pass rush now.

With the viewpoint that the team is in shambles, we have no depth, very little talent and there's no sense even contemplating how many seasons it will be before there is any chance of being a play-off team, I agree the players we're bringing in are just fine. Now that we have Clayborn and Schofield, with another young pass rusher coming in the first round of the draft, we should at least have some semblance of a pass rush now.

Exactly. I'd love to have Houston, but if we get him, it will be next season. We aren't dropping 2 1sts on him. The others all have red flags, or retired. Morgan is the best of the bunch and he just got overpaid to stay in Nashville, which is what I figured he wanted all along.

So who else would we have signed? We need to get our best pass rusher in the draft, and we also need linebacker help in the draft. Beyond that, we can focus on adding players who can help this team at other positions. RB probably chief among them, but I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a WR, too.