After 3 Days Of Free Agency, Let's Look At The Top 8 Of The Draft

g-dawg

OK, we have had 3 full days of free agency now and most of the big moves have been made with regards to passrushers.

There is still one HUGE "get" out there (Greg Hardy) but we are being told that Falcons are not looking his way. I hope if we don't get Hardy, that he at least goes to one of the teams needing passrush help in front of us in the draft.

Current Draft Order:

1. Tampa (top need: QB)
  2. Tennessee (top need: QB - no longer need passrusher - Orakpo/Morgan)
  3. Jacksonville (top need: Passrusher - no longer need TE(J. Thomas) nor DT(J. Odrick))
  4. Oakland (top need: WR/Passrusher/DT)
  5. Washington (top need: Passrusher/OT/QB?)
  6. NY Jets (top need: QB/Passrusher)
  7. Chicago Bears (top need: Passrusher, LB, DB)
  8. Atlanta Falcons (top need: Passrusher)

It is always hard to guess the draft based just on need. Sometimes the needs don't match up with the talent and I'm sure there will likely be at least one trade that will shake up the top 8 of the draft - I don't look for that trade to be Atlanta. It is still undetermined if Falcons will lose any draft pick or picks and - with our current free agent signings, it is obvious we still need a lot from the draft. While the Falcons are not done in free agency, there is no one left to pick that would possibly change the Falcons draft strategy other than Greg Hardy - which we are saying we are not getting (even though I wish we would).

So here is how i see the top 8 going:

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - I believe this decision has probably already been made. pick: Jameis Winston, QB-FSU
  2. Philadelphia Eagles (f/ Tenn.) - This pick is likely for sale and there could be trade action here. The two players that teams would consider moving up for is QB Mariota and DT/DE Leonard Williams. I think Mariota scares the h3LL out of NFL GMs and not sure there would be any suitors to move up other than maybe the Jets or Eagles. It just hit me what Chip Kelly is doing - he loves Mariota. Sam Bradford does not fit Chip's system and Tennessee likes traditional QBs like Bradford. Roger Goodell to the podium: "WE HAVE A TRADE" The Philadephia Eagles select: pick: Marcus Mariota, QB-Oregon. Details of the trade: The Titans Trade the #2 overall pick to the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles trade QB Sam Bradford, 1st rounder(#20), and 2nd rounder(#52). Now, some of you are going to say: "Chip Kelly just said he would not do this". That is not exactly what he said - he said Marcus Mariota is best QB in the draft and he would not "mortgage the future, that is crazy, we have too many other needs". Well through the Trade of "Folds for Bradford", the overall cost to move from #20 to #2 would be: giving up a starting NFL QB, 1st round pick(#20), 2nd round pick(#52), 4th round pick and 2nd rounder in 2016(to Rams) while getting a 5th rounder back this year - while a lot, I don't think that is something that mortgage the future. Kelly was not a fan of Foles and is using Bradford to get something he wants. Whisenhunt gets a lot of picks and a 1yr look-see on a QB who has the playing style he likes and a high upside if he can stay healthy. If he stays healthy and plays well, they re-sign or franchise Bradford, if not, he's gone but still have a lot of picks to show for the trade and you don't take a QB you are not sure about.
  3. Jacksonville Jaguars- The talent on the board would dictate the Jaguars taking Leonard Williams - however, I believe with the signing of Jared Odrick and the re-signing of Tyson Alualu and the screaming need for an edge rusher, the Jags may pass on the most talented prospect in the draft for a greater need. after all, the Dimitroff protege', David Caldwell, followed form last year on needs-based drafting Blake Bortles while giving him a top TE weapon the 2nd offseason. The pick: Dante Fowler, OLB/LEO - Florida
  4. Oakland Raiders- The screaming need for the Oakland Raiders is offensive playmakers. However, Reggie McKenzie, Raiders GM also recognizes the most talented player is still on the board, the California kid that grew up a Raiders fan and can be anchor of a dominant young defense. McKenzie knows he can get a WR and a RB in rounds 2 and 3. The pick: Leonard Williams, DE/DT-USC
  5. Washington Redskins- The Redskins lost Orakpo and passrush is their #1 need. The Skins could use another offensive tackle but none are worth the pick. The Skins draft into the teeth of this draft and get their passrusher. The pick: Shane Ray, OLB/DE - Missouri
  6. NY Jets - Here is the wildcard pick that could burn the Falcons. With the Jets taking care of their WR need in trading for Brandon Marshall and solving their CB needs with bringing the old gang back (Revis/Cromartie), the Jets could end up going passrusher here - Falcons fans, prepare to groan. The pick: Vic Beasley, OLB - Clemson
  7. Chicago Bears - with the Bears switching to a 3-4, I think getting that dominating nose tackle is imperative. While the Bears could use a #2 WR and Kevin White or Amari Cooper would be tempting here, this is a very deep receiver draft and one NT in this draft has been compared to Haloti Ngata. 'nuff said: The pick: Danny Shelton, NT-Washington
  8. Atlanta Falcons - ok, well as usual, this top 8 did not shake out how we wanted. Hopefully I'm wrong but looks like last year (when we were one pick behind who the messageboard wanted - Khalil Mack). Obviously like most of you, I would prefer to get Vic Beasley. However, the more and more I read up and study up on this draft, the more I'm convinced that three passrushers plus Leonard Williams will go off the board before the Falcons pick. Now maybe that won't happen - but who do you really see rising? I've got Shelton and Mariota both going before our pick in this mock) and they could easily go after. I think it is possible that one of the receivers goes before 8 but I don't see both of them going before then. A LT? a CB? I don't see it. Maybe Shane Ray or Beasley falls to us and Randy Gregory rises -but that is not how I see it right now - Falcons will get the #4 passrusher off the board, whoever that will be. Falcons choice comes down to two passrushers left - Randy Gregory and Bud Dupree. Falcons take the player who is a little on the light side but with more potential upside;

The pick: Randy Gregory, DE/OLB/LEO - Nebraska

1056674.jpg

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be all for that

yeah, me too. we all have our individual preferences for passrushers/linebackers - mine:

1. Vic Beasley
  2. Dante Fowler, Jr.
  3. Shane Ray
  4. Randy Gregory

I believe any of those guys would be a vital piece to Quinn's defense. I would take any of them and be happy. Many on here think Randy Gregory will be a bust, I don't believe that although he is not my preference.

I'd rather take Bud Dupree over Gregory if that happens that way. I mean Vic Beasley is the ideal situation but Dupree is an atheltic freak with great upside and explosion off the snap.

well it might come down to those two, A-Town. Maybe another team falls in love w/ Gregory and Dupree rises. Still a long way to go for "stock up/stock down" so hopefully there will be some other risers that will allow more passrushers to fall to #8.

Randy Gregory...

Less than exciting numbers, hampered by injuries, in 2 seasons versus pretty weak competition.

BUST. BUST. BUST.

I expect about 100 of these responses.

just sayin' there might not be a Beasley, Ray or Fowler there for us. At least let your mind "go there" so you can think alternatives if you don't like Randy Gregory.

Bud Dupree?

trade down?

well it might come down to those two, A-Town. Maybe another team falls in love w/ Gregory and Dupree rises. Still a long way to go for "stock up/stock down" so hopefully there will be some other risers that will allow more passrushers to fall to #8.

Yeah there is still a long ways to go but either way you dice it, I think we get a solid addition to the defense. I think we can get either Beasley, Ray, Fowler, or Dupree so I am pretty excited overall.

A WR and possibly OL will go before us. I think we will have at least 2 of the top 4 pass rushers to pick from.

hope you are right. To be assured of getting one of the top three (Beasley, Fowler or Ray), and assuming Jameis Winston is a lock to go in the top 2 and Leonard Williams is a lock to go in the top 4 - and that at least two passrushers will go off the board before us - that is still only 4 slots - we need three more spots filled - Mariota could fill up one - then still leaves two more - which could be filled by either Cooper(WR), White(WR) or Shelton(NT) - maybe somebody goes for the top corner Waeynes but doubtful.

As its been the case with these pass rushers (excluding Beasley) i am so torn on them. Don't like any of them more than the others besides Beasley. I feel like my opinion changes daily. As of now I would be ok with Gregory. I do love his length and he does show flashes of being a good pass rusher.

I expect about 100 of these responses.

just sayin' there might not be a Beasley, Ray or Fowler there for us. At least let your mind "go there" so you can think alternatives if you don't like Randy Gregory.

Bud Dupree?

trade down?

I dont make these dumbazz mock draft threads. It doesn't matter where I let my mind go- whatever is going to happen is going to happen.

People who make threads like this need to get a life, in my opinion.

You're like a step below bloggers, mindless prognositication...except without the commitment to write 3000 words.

Nightmare scenario, but for a worst case I guess it's not that bad.

My thing is this. If it does come down to this (which is very likely), then what is the hurt in trading down and getting Dupree or the BPA at another position of need and an additional second round pick. There will be more quality pass rushers in the second round. It will not be the end of the world if we don't get Beasley/ Fowler/Ray. It might actually work out better for us. But again, that's only if it turns out like this.

That draft has a 0.2 chance of happening. Cooper or White not going in top 8?

Very deep WR draft.

Overall

Rank Player

#6 Amari Cooper

#7 Kevin White

#12 Devante Parker

#22 Jaelen Strong

#24 Dorial Green-Beckham

#33 Breshad Perriman

#38 Sammie Coates

Lots more good WR prospects on down the draft - which I think could hurt Cooper and White at the top.

I hope you are right - if both go before #8, then we will get to choose from multiple passrushers. I would say 40% chance that no WR goes before #8. The Jets and Raiders are the only ones likely to take a WR and Jets just traded for Brandon Marshall and have the Denver guy last year.

I dont make these dumbazz mock draft threads. It doesn't matter where I let my mind go- whatever is going to happen is going to happen.

You're like a step below bloggers, mindless prognositication...except without the commitment to write 3000 words.

I bet you are a joy at parties.

so who should we pick at 8 if the top four pass rushers are gone?

Very deep WR draft.

Overall

Rank Player

#6 Amari Cooper

#7 Kevin White

#12 Devante Parker

#22 Jaelen Strong

#24 Dorial Green-Beckham

#33 Breshad Perriman

#38 Sammie Coates

Lots more good WR prospects on down the draft - which I think could hurt Cooper and White at the top.

I hope you are right - if both go before #8, then we will get to choose from multiple passrushers. I would say 40% chance that no WR goes before #8. The Jets and Raiders are the only ones likely to take a WR and Jets just traded for Brandon Marshall and have the Denver guy last year.

You don't see the super WR-needy Titans, who've already addressed the line in FA a decent bit, as possibly going WR with their pick? They have probably the worst WR corps in the NFL.