Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nono

Morgan Signs With Titans

111 posts in this topic

That or people such as myself did not want him and he is overpaid for what he does on the field. But whatever, keep your panties in a bunch sunshine.

Actually, I personally had no interest in him. Don't assume...

That or people such as myself did not want him and he is overpaid for what he does on the field. But whatever, keep your panties in a bunch sunshine.

People such as your good self are obviously happy with fielding sub par defenses year after year in the pursuit of being frugal. We havnt had 6.5 sacks from LE since Kerney left, but atleast we dont have to pay anyonerolleyes.gif

thanat0s likes this

I thought Morgan would be around 6 per year, so this isn't that different. His contract is probably 6.5 per year plus additionals.

I would have taken him at that, knowing I'm overpaying by 1M/yr, but I'd be willing to do that to sure up my weakest area. Especially with a young guy who there's reason to believe would improve.

I'm pretty confident the Titans will take either a WR or Williams at #2. I doubt anyone would trade up with them to get Mariota considering the price and getting Cooper, White, or Williams would fill a huge need.

I'm pretty positive they take a receiver. They have no number 1, they don't even have a real number 2, the closest thing they have is Harry Douglas. Amari Cooper or Kevin White would be a great move. I think the Jaguars get Williams, if anyone.

On that note, a lot of people give Gus Bradley crap, but I'll be honest...he's quietly making the Jags into contenders. That defense showed flashes last year, and their offense has a lot of young talent, with a young QB on the way up as well. Not sure my opinion will be popular but I think the Jags could make the playoffs next year.

EDIT: On the topic of Morgan, yeah, I liked him, but I feel like there's 0 chance we'd have been able to sign him at 4 years 30 million. We'd have had to beat the Titans deal if anything, he wanted to go back there from the get-go. We just helped raise the price...it's even been confirmed they wound up spending an extra 3 mil a year, they were trying for 4.5 initially.

People such as your good self are obviously happy with fielding sub par defenses year after year in the pursuit of being frugal. We havnt had 6.5 sacks from LE since Kerney left, but atleast we dont have to pay anyone:rolleyes:

I'm constantly amazed how people go work all day at a job, then go home and take on a second job as junior fantasy accountant for their sports team. I'm a fan. What someone gets paid is very low on my checklist of how to improve the team. That's for the team to worry about.

Bunchy Carter likes this

Titans don't overpay for players and they know Morgan better than any other team, so if they pay him 7.5M per year when the market for him has softened, it means he is worth that much and more.

they paid him that cause they didnt want to lose him to other potential teams like us.

He isnt worth 7.5mil but the market dictated that. I garuntee we didnt offer him close to that

Not surprised. I thought he mighta been a Cowboy.

"Fans" have a hard time calling it like it is in reality. After he spent 24 hours here then left, I knew he'd moved on.

People such as your good self are obviously happy with fielding sub par defenses year after year in the pursuit of being frugal. We havnt had 6.5 sacks from LE since Kerney left, but atleast we dont have to pay anyonerolleyes.gif

That or I would prefer the Falcons not to overpay middling players out of desperation. Morgan is very, very, very far from a make or break type of talent. If the Titans want to pay him that much then great. I'd prefer for the Falcons to pay good value for role players and build through the draft.

I'm constantly amazed how people go work all day at a job, then go home and take on a second job as junior fantasy accountant for their sports team. I'm a fan. What someone gets paid is very low on my checklist of how to improve the team. That's for the team to worry about.

You're so special.

Yeah, unreal isnt it.

The market set his worth around 6M a year imo and we probably low balled him to the tune of 3.5M hoping hed take a home town discount.

they paid him that cause they didnt want to lose him to other potential teams like us.

He isnt worth 7.5mil but the market dictated that. I garuntee we didnt offer him close to that

For him to stay overnight on the Falcons dime, I guarantee you our offer was in the 5.5 to 6 per year range. Enough to make Tennessee **** the bed and pay him.

That or I would prefer the Falcons not to overpay middling players out of desperation. Morgan is very, very, very far from a make or break type of talent. If the Titans want to pay him that much then great. I'd prefer for the Falcons to pay good value for role players and build through the draft.

Yep, cos its worked so well with TD at the helm.

The defense is worse that it has ever been!

Sun Tzu 7 likes this

This was Psychic Gibbon off season thread where he wanted the world for the Falcons but clearly doesn't have a clue the contracts the players got in a new landscape of today's higher NFL salaries and cap situation

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4022172-pg-post-championship-weekend-mock-offseason/

Byron Maxwell, CB, Seahawks

5 years, $25,550,000 overall, $10,300,000 guaranteed, $2,250,000 cap hit first year. Based on Keenan Lewis' contract.

Follows Dan Quinn. The Seahawks can probably afford him but he isn't on Sherman's level and they have a track record of coaching up CBs so why bother? A physical corner and a solid #2. He would be a great complement for Trufant and would push Alford to NB, where he's best suited anyway.

Orlando Franklin, G, Broncos

5 years, $36,000,000 overall, $15,900,000 guaranteed, $2,700,000 cap hit first year. Based on Ben Grubbs' contract.

The Broncos have a slew of key players about to hit free agency and Franklin will be a likely casualty due to it. He moved to LG last season where he excelled, giving up only a single sack and being a dominant run blocker. He has the movement skills to fit in a ZBS.

Jerry Hughes, DE, Bills

4 years, $28,500,000 overall, $16,000,000 guaranteed, $4,000,000 cap hit first year. Based on Cliff Avril's contract.

He moved to a scheme somewhat similar to what the Seahawks run and did very well there due to his good speed rush. Despite that production he's likely on the outs in Buffalo due to Rex Ryan's arrival and his poor fit in the 3-4.

Jabaal Sheard, DE, Browns

2 years, $10,000,000 overall, $4,350,000 guaranteed, $5,000,000 cap hit first year. Based on Justin Tuck's contract.

D#x3 likes this

Question. Who in FA this season or next that is a good/healthy pass rusher is gonna be bought at true value. Anyone worth having is gonna be overpaid...to what extent is the issue.

At this point we need to take a look at Dwight Freeney, DaQuan Bowers, or *gulp* consider re-signing Biermann. We need another vet DE in the mix.

Yup. Meanwhile double digit sacks are sitting at home in North Carolina just waiting.

This was Psychic Gibbon off season thread where he wanted the world for the Falcons but clearly doesn't have a clue the contracts the players got in a new landscape of today's higher NFL salaries and cap situation

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4022172-pg-post-championship-weekend-mock-offseason/

Byron Maxwell, CB, Seahawks

5 years, $25,550,000 overall, $10,300,000 guaranteed, $2,250,000 cap hit first year. Based on Keenan Lewis' contract.

Follows Dan Quinn. The Seahawks can probably afford him but he isn't on Sherman's level and they have a track record of coaching up CBs so why bother? A physical corner and a solid #2. He would be a great complement for Trufant and would push Alford to NB, where he's best suited anyway.

Orlando Franklin, G, Broncos

5 years, $36,000,000 overall, $15,900,000 guaranteed, $2,700,000 cap hit first year. Based on Ben Grubbs' contract.

The Broncos have a slew of key players about to hit free agency and Franklin will be a likely casualty due to it. He moved to LG last season where he excelled, giving up only a single sack and being a dominant run blocker. He has the movement skills to fit in a ZBS.

Jerry Hughes, DE, Bills

4 years, $28,500,000 overall, $16,000,000 guaranteed, $4,000,000 cap hit first year. Based on Cliff Avril's contract.

He moved to a scheme somewhat similar to what the Seahawks run and did very well there due to his good speed rush. Despite that production he's likely on the outs in Buffalo due to Rex Ryan's arrival and his poor fit in the 3-4.

Jabaal Sheard, DE, Browns

2 years, $10,000,000 overall, $4,350,000 guaranteed, $5,000,000 cap hit first year. Based on Justin Tuck's contract.

I got Franklin and Sheard about right at least. emot-tiphat.gif

Hughes got paid more than he should have, IMO, but the contract he got is understandable all things considered. The Maxwell contract was shocking to say the least.

I love looking at some posters mock drafts that they think highly of their football accumen and look back at their off seasons . Not to pretty for psychic gibbon

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4009139-pg-preseason-mock-draft/

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3965634-pg-mock-draft-1222/

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3942330-115-pg-mock-draft/

From his mock drafts looks like he is batting as good as BJ Upton

Question. Who in FA this season or next that is a good/healthy pass rusher is gonna be bought at true value. Anyone worth having is gonna be overpaid...to what extent is the issue.

Exactly.

It's hard to get a deal when Almost every team wants to improve their pass rush EVERY year

Remember last year when everyone thought we could get an edge rusher with our 2nd pick but they were basically all gone?

Edge rushers are always at a premium and I'm thinking we'll be lucky if one of those 4 guys is still there when we pick @ 8.

D#x3, ZoneOne01 and Mid-Nite-Toker like this

I love looking at some posters mock drafts that they think highly of their football accumen and look back at their off seasons . Not to pretty for psychic gibbon

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4009139-pg-preseason-mock-draft/

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3965634-pg-mock-draft-1222/

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3942330-115-pg-mock-draft/

From his mock drafts looks like he is batting as good as BJ Upton

I'm not that bent out of shape about the first one since it was in an season mock. The other two are definitely disasters though, most likely due to relying too much on sites like Walterfootball, was before we started really keeping track of who they were looking at in the NFL board, and, obviously, I'm just a mock drafter doing this to pass time. Still, I am annoyed that they didn't draft Warford.

Yup. Meanwhile double digit sacks are sitting at home in North Carolina just waiting.

Too busy book balancing and looking for choir boys to be interested in improving

Exactly.

It's hard to get a deal when Almost every team wants to improve their pass rush EVERY year

Remember last year when everyone thought we could get an edge rusher with our 2nd pick but they were basically all gone?

Edge rushers are always at a premium and I'm thinking we'll be lucky if one of those 4 guys is still there when we pick @ 8.

Bargains and "prove it contracts" are great when you have "corner stonesc at all 3 levels of the defense...we have Trufant-thats it.

D#x3 and Sun Tzu 7 like this

I'm not that bent out of shape about the first one since it was in an season mock. The other two are definitely disasters though, most likely due to relying too much on sites like Walterfootball, was before we started really keeping track of who they were looking at in the NFL board, and, obviously, I'm just a mock drafter doing this to pass time. Still, I am annoyed that they didn't draft Warford.

Yeah that was your one hit in Warford outside that been a complete disaster and haven't seen anyone you want later in drafts make a actual impact in the NFL so I'm just offering friendly advice maybe you shouldn't dismiss other people's opinions so quickly and think you're is always right

Was Morgan worth his contract ? No probably not but he is young and has upside and can continue to grow. Now Falcons are left out in cold waiting for a unknown rookie to step up pretty quickly.