Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nono

Morgan Signs With Titans

111 posts in this topic

I have to admit, I'm pretty jealous that the Titans got Orakpo/Morgan. We sure could have used a haul like that.

Not getting Orakpo is somewhat upsetting but bringing him in along with Clayborn is just too much injury risk for my liking. Morgan was always overrated and now way overpaid.

Titans don't overpay for players and they know Morgan better than any other team, so if they pay him 7.5M per year when the market for him has softened, it means he is worth that much and more.

Yep because the titans are an organization rich in great decisions.

papachaz likes this

They're paying him more than Bennett and Avril. laugh.png

Which tells you how much the team that knows him best, and is not in the habit of overpaying players, values Morgan as a player -- that is the point.

Which tells you how much the team that knows him best, and is not in the habit of overpaying players, values Morgan as a player -- that is the point.

By that logic the Baker contract is perfect since the Falcons organization knows him best.

They are a financially responsible organization, even on the stingy side. Hard to argue against that.

That would require an organization that is serious about fixing it's problem. Ours would need a testicular transplant to do that.

Yeah cause all the other class organizations are lining up to sign Hardy as well. Clearly its just our FO that is put off by him.

They are a financially responsible organization, even on the stingy side. Hard to argue against that.

Off the top of my head, the Oher and Levitre contracts beg to differ.

Yeah but with Orako gone Washington will now be in the market for one. They pick before us too.

They were going to need one even if they did try and get Orakpo back, he's injured too often for them not to. Titans not getting a pass rusher in the draft (almost definitely) is huge, I can easily see Leonard Williams and Dante Fowler being the only pass rushers (Williams doesn't really fit that mold, but he'll go early) to go before we draft now. Jaguars will likely take one, with the Redskins taking the other. With Titans locking up two pass rushers and the Bears getting Pernell Mcphee, things look a lot easier. Especially since Danny Shelton was already mentioned a lot when it came to the Bears pick.

The Jets...they could throw a wrench in things. I worry, especially since they picked up Brandon Marshall in FA, so likely won't be looking at receiver. I do hear a lot about them targeting Mariota from mockers but the smart move would be an edge rusher. Either way, our chances at Beasley just went way up.

citsalp likes this

By that logic the Baker contract is perfect since the Falcons organization knows him best.

Not comparable really. First, the main reason (not the only reason though) Baker signing was bad, was because of injury. Second, Falcons signed Baker when they desperately needed a tackle and nobody reliable was left in the market. Titans signed Morgan after they signed Orakpo, so it is not a signing out of desperation but one out of logic (sound or flawed).

Wow, that is ridiculous money for his production. I hate stupid *** teams (Miami, Tenn, Jets) that just keep driving prices up each year for marginal to above average talent. You can say that it is their money, but these salaries are reflected in ticket prices and amenities at the stadium that falls directly on fans. I swear, I think I'm spending this entire next season watching every game from home. Football used to be a working man sport, now they are making going to a game only affordable for the swells.

Not comparable really. First, the main reason (not the only reason though) Baker signing was bad, was because of injury. Second, Falcons signed Baker when they desperately needed a tackle and nobody reliable was left in the market. Titans signed Morgan after they signed Orakpo, so it is not a signing out of desperation but one out of logic (sound or flawed).

That or they decided to throw money at Morgan to keep him to free up the other pass rushing spot from needing to be drafted. As atljbo pointed out:

Jim Wyatt @jwyattsports 14m14 minutes ago

Contracts of other edge rushers helped Morgan's $ increase. Initial talks were around $4.5m per. He got closer to $7m per, plus incentives

Inflated worth.

Yea I'd rather throw some peanuts to Koy and keep him here then over pay for Morgan. Morgan would have been good for cheap but no way should we have paid him as a premier pass rusher when his career high is 6.5 sacks

They were going to need one even if they did try and get Orakpo back, he's injured too often for them not to. Titans not getting a pass rusher in the draft (almost definitely) is huge, I can easily see Leonard Williams and Dante Fowler being the only pass rushers to go before we draft now. Jaguars will likely take one, with the Redskins taking the other. With Titans locking up two pass rushers and the Bears getting Pernell Mcphee, things look a lot easier. Especially since Danny Shelton was already mentioned a lot when it came to the Bears pick.

The Jets...they could throw a wrench in things. I worry, especially since they picked up Brandon Marshall in FA, so likely won't be looking at receiver. I do hear a lot about them targeting Mariota from mockers but the smart move would be an edge rusher. Either way, our chances at Beasley just went way up.

I'm pretty confident the Titans will take either a WR or Williams at #2. I doubt anyone would trade up with them to get Mariota considering the price and getting Cooper, White, or Williams would fill a huge need.

It's funny to see the same scenario play out time after time on here. Everybody wants player x, then when we lose out on said player here come the rationalization. He was paid too much, he's not that good, we have a plan, etc. Smh

D#x3 and Bunchy Carter like this

Off the top of my head, the Oher and Levitre contracts beg to differ.

Fair enough. Though Oher was not a huge contract (still bad though) and Levitre's remains to be seen.

Yeah but with Orako gone Washington will now be in the market for one. They pick before us too.

Yeah, I'm terrified all 4 guys will be gone by the time we pick.

The guys we signed make us marginally better.

That or they decided to throw money at Morgan to keep him to free up the other pass rushing spot from needing to be drafted. As atljbo pointed out:

Inflated worth.

It's not inflated worth, it's the market worth. That's how market works.

Wow, that is ridiculous money for his production. I hate stupid *** teams (Miami, Tenn, Jets) that just keep driving prices up each year for marginal to above average talent. You can say that it is their money, but these salaries are reflected in ticket prices and amenities at the stadium that falls directly on fans. I swear, I think I'm spending this entire next season watching every game from home. Football used to be a working man sport, now they are making going to a game only affordable for the swells.

Welcome to free agency.

Pass rushers are always going to be expensive unless they're over the hill and have an injury history

It's not inflated worth, it's the market worth. That's how market works.

His actual value is around $5 million AAV. That the market pushed his value to $7.5 million AAV should scream to everyone, "Buyer beware."

papachaz likes this

Definitely not worth that much, but I'm a little jealous too that wee went Schofield/Clayborn and they got Morgan/Orakpo. At this point, let's go into the draft and save our money for next season. Maybe get a couple more 3rd tier signings.

It's funny to see the same scenario play out time after time on here. Everybody wants player x, then when we lose out on said player here come the rationalization. He was paid too much, he's not that good, we have a plan, etc. Smh

That or people such as myself did not want him and he is overpaid for what he does on the field. But whatever, keep your panties in a bunch sunshine.

Jimsmusic™ likes this

His actual value is around $5 million AAV. That the market pushed his value to $7.5 million AAV should scream to everyone, "Buyer beware."

Worth is a subjective term, you can't measure it. The only indirect measurement is the market, and by that he is worth that much.