Ok, I'll Be Serious

Dusty

But just for a little while.....

I actually can see what Dan Quinn and the Falcons are doing. They are establishing a base of anger and revenge. Let's refer to it as "aar".

The guys they are building the defense with guys who have at some point recently been cast off and considered finished, washed up, can't cut it, injury prone, etc...

These guys will tell you that there aint a **** thing wrong with them and that they can perform in the right system with the right opportunity.

Dan Quinn came in stating that his philosophy is not to complicate things, but to allow players the freedom and opportunity to do whatever it is that they do best. So what you (me & you) see is a bunch of "who in the **** is that guy" guys. Guys who do not jump out at anybody as world beaters but excel at one or two things. These guys will be the base of your aar. They will appreciate the opportunity to finally play to their strengths and in turn, pledge allegiance to the red and black flag.

They will play hard and fast because it's close to the last shot they'll get in THIS kind of spotlight. They will rise up (no pun intended) and become stars from "guys". Those who can't cut it will be dispatched immediately. They (player around the league) will begin to look at the Falcons as the place to go if you wanna real shot at playing football.

After a season or two, it will become the expected culture of "f**** what that other team told you you could not learn, come here! If you can knock snot bubbles, we'll find a spot on the squad". Players respect that and play HARD for teams who give them that chance. It becomes less and less about schemes and more about fast physical football.

Remember Quinns rugby idea that he wants to push? Think about that and look back at what Seattle did to change tackling there. The began to teach it all over again by showing guys how to aim for the inside hip, wrap up, drop and roll. You pair that with rugby training and you have a recipe for aar to be set loose on the NFC South.

Now of course I may be WAAAaaaaay wrong on this. But something tells me that when your coaching staff, from special teams to the OC is made up of a bunch of mean SOBs who will get in your face immediately and your owner wants to get tougher, then why wouldn't you build the base your defense with a bunch of young guys who will do whatever you say because they are hungry, being allowed to play fast and at their strengths and are not stars yet.

Look at Seattle and New England. NE has been doing it SEA just started with Carroll. But their bases are built and their cultures are established. So when you send them your cast offs, they get there, get sat down, get told what they will be doing and go beast out! leaving you scratching your head saying; "LeGarrett Blount got a ring?!?! He's not even that great".

Quinn is building. Let's let him.

Edited by Dusty

Quinn can build all he wants, but until we hear a press conference explaining the thought process, or better yet, actually see the product on the field, it's perfectly okay to remain skeptical. As much as I like Quinn and love the defense he ran in Seattle, he is still a first time head coach, and the same General Manager is in place who has made some questionable moves in the past.

Thank you for the post. I actually enjoyed reading it. Everyone says "he has a plan" but you put an optimistic story behind it

In my opinion, we won with what we already had when Smitty showed up. There was never the thought of cutting dead weight and bringing in youth. It was about scheme. The new coach is young and coaches that way. Sure it's his first time as a head coach, but not his first time coaching. We gotta start somewhere.

Edited by Dusty

I actually can see what Dan Quinn and the Falcons are doing. They are establishing a base of anger and revenge. Let's refer to it as "aar".

The guys they are building the defense with guys who have at some point recently been cast off and considered finished, washed up, can't cut it, injury prone, etc...

These guys will tell you that there aint a **** thing wrong with them and that they can perform in the right system with the right opportunity.

Dan Quinn came in stating that his philosophy is not to complicate things, but to allow players the freedom and opportunity to do whatever it is that they do best. So what you (me & you) see is a bunch of "who in the **** is that guy" guys. Guys who do not jump out at anybody as world beaters but excel at one or two things. These guys will be the base of your aar. They will appreciate the opportunity to finally play to their strengths and in turn, pledge allegiance to the red and black flag.

They will play hard and fast because it's close to the last shot they'll get in THIS kind of spotlight. They will rise up (no pun intended) and become stars from "guys". Those who can't cut it will be dispatched immediately. They (player around the league) will begin to look at the Falcons as the place to go if you wanna real shot at playing football.

After a season or two, it will become the expected culture of "f**** what that other team told you you could not learn, come here! If you can knock snot bubbles, we'll find a spot on the squad". Players respect that and play HARD for teams who give them that chance. It becomes less and less about schemes and more about fast physical football.

Remember Quinns rugby idea that he wants to push? Think about that and look back at what Seattle did to change tackling there. The began to teach it all over again by showing guys how to aim for the inside hip, wrap up, drop and roll. You pair that with rugby training and you have a recipe for aar to be set loose on the NFC South.

Now of course I may be WAAAaaaaay wrong on this. But something tells me that when your coaching staff, from special teams to the OC is made up of a bunch of mean SOBs who will get in your face immediately and your owner wants to get tougher, then why wouldn't you build the base your defense with a bunch of young guys who will do whatever you say because they are hungry, being allowed to play fast and at their strengths and are not stars yet.

Look at Seattle and New England. NE has been doing it SEA just started with Carroll. But their bases are built and their cultures are established. So when you send them your cast offs, they get there, get sat down, get told what they will be doing and go beast out! leaving you scratching your head saying; "LeGarrett Blount got a ring?!?! He's not even that great".

Good opinion and read. Build with less expensive players with something to prove and keep cap in check.

+1