Report: Saints Working To Deal Kenny Stills

Trouble

The Saints have been willing to part ways with numerous higher-priced veterans this offseason.

And now, a published report says they are willing to deal one of their cheaper and younger players, too.

Dianna Marie Russini of NBC 4 in Washington D.C. reports the Saints are “trying to trade” third-year wide receiver Kenny Stills.

Stills hauled in 63 passes for 931 yards and three touchdowns in 2014. He does not turn 23 until April, and he is under contract for two more seasons at very affordable base salaries ($585,000 in 2015, $675,000 in 2016, per NFLPA data).

Theoretically, those attributes would suggest Stills would have a market if the Saints wanted to deal him.

The question is, why would they?

Stills’ contract alone would seemingly make him valuable to New Orleans. The club has had salary cap issues, and here is a starter-caliber player on the books for less than a combined $1.3 million over the next two years.

Nevertheless, Russini reports the Saints have been “shopping” Stills.

Of all of the offseason stories about players on the trading block, this is one of the most surprising, for it’s an inexpensive player reportedly being dangled, not an older brand name with a sticker-shock contract.

The trade would be for the Eagles guard Mathis which would be a good deal

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Eagles are trying to trade LG Evan Mathis.

It's a surprising development as Mathis comes off a dominant year, but he is going on age 34 and the Eagles are probably trying to get younger up front. They may believe they can plug-and-play a rookie at left guard. Mathis' 2015 base salary is a reasonable $5.5 million. He's a lock to attract interest.

It would be alright. I'm not sure about trading a WR with big time potential that isn't even 23 years old yet... for a 1 to 3 year rental on a good guard..

That's a shame. I like Stills. Something was rotten in Saintsland last year. For the first time in the Payton/Brees era, we heard grumblings about locker room issues and Me First Guys. I am wondering if this is Payton doing a clean sweep of locker room "cancers", or at least partly so. This has been one strange off-season.

One thing is for sure, I haven't seen SP this motivated in a while, he's definitely making moves. Idk what's going to happen this season but I think the intensity level in TC will be turned up a notch.

"Now go get me some ******* juicy fruit, not spearmint!"

Edited by BayouBengalz

That's a shame. I like Stills. Something was rotten in Saintsland last year. For the first time in the Payton/Brees era, we heard grumblings about locker room issues and Me First Guys. I am wondering if this is Payton doing a clean sweep of locker room "cancers", or at least partly so. This has been one strange off-season.

I didn't report that, so it's not true.

Fact is there has been issues since Lofton arrived, if not before.

I'm not supporting the fans who are turning on a said player who has spoken out. He is saying what all fans are wondering. He even said players are not allowed to talk. But Brees played the media and fans to get his deal.

No one ever heard of locker room issues with jimmy. Until he was traded. Then some rumor leaks about the way his deal went down.

Payton and Loomis put themselves in this situation. Being in cap **** means you cut or force pay cutting. People who bust their ***. Expect to be rewarded. Not cut.

Payton took a year off and comes back so he could get a raise. He makes more than the majority of the players.

There is trouble in Paradise. But from a outside view it's easy to see what the issue is.

If you disagree. Ask yourself what's wrong with the Cowboys. What's held them back. It's not the talent. You can see that from the outside. Just like everyone sees what's wrong with the Saints.

So............Payton wants more maturity in the lockerroom....

Nothing sells maturity like a gray haired gentleman rambling on about life.....and how things used to be back in the day. So.. Harper for Stills.. straight up trade?

add in that second round and I'll take it :lol:

I didn't report that, so it's not true.

Fact is there has been issues since Lofton arrived, if not before.

I'm not supporting the fans who are turning on a said player who has spoken out. He is saying what all fans are wondering. He even said players are not allowed to talk. But Brees played the media and fans to get his deal.

No one ever heard of locker room issues with jimmy. Until he was traded. Then some rumor leaks about the way his deal went down.

Payton and Loomis put themselves in this situation. Being in cap **** means you cut or force pay cutting. People who bust their ***. Expect to be rewarded. Not cut.

Payton took a year off and comes back so he could get a raise. He makes more than the majority of the players.

There is trouble in Paradise. But from a outside view it's easy to see what the issue is.

If you disagree. Ask yourself what's wrong with the Cowboys. What's held them back. It's not the talent. You can see that from the outside. Just like everyone sees what's wrong with the Saints.

2.0/10

At the end of last season, Payton said that changes will be made.