Hankerson A Better Wr Than Hd Was? Interesting Look.....

gazoo

Hankerson was picked in the top of the 3rd round, is 6' 2", 210lbs and ran a blazing 4.43 40 at the combine, good size and pretty freaking fast. He just turned 26 a month ago.

Hankerson is 2" taller, 25 lbs heavier, 4.5 years younger and a heck of a lot faster than HD. (HD only ran a 4.51 in his prime 8 years ago)

The biggest difference between the two is Hankerson scores TDs, a LOT more, than HD did per catch.

In 81 career receptions, Hankerson scored 6 TDs with a 13.1 yard per catch average. In 259 career receptions, HD scored only 8 TDs with a 12.1 yards per catch average.

In Hankersons 2013 season, he replaced Josh Morgan as the starting wide receiver opposite Pierre Garcon, and found himself on pace to put up career numbers with 30 catches for 375 yards and three touchdowns through 10 games, with a mediocre QB throwing to him. But Hankerson tore both his anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his knee, and missed the remainder of the 2013 season as well as the first 9 games of the 2014 season while recovering.

Looking at the difference in HD and Hankerson, I think a healthy Hankerson could be a much better WR than HD was and can't wait to see what he can do with a real QB throwing to him.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HD always got a bad wrap on here. He's a decent number 3 WR who was rarely above matts fourth check down behind Julio, roddy and gonzo. He wasn't a TD scorer but not a lot of guys are when they are the no.4 option. He was clearly being paid too much and he clearly thinks he can be a solid no.2 so I'm ok all round. People will be very surprised how hard it will be fit the 3rd WR on this team too see better numbers than HD.

Again I'm hopeful this guy is a solid cheaper option but I won't hang my hat on it until I see it.

The problem is HD was worth a vet min type of signing. He was getting paid to produce. He didn't. The guy didn't really score. He was average. If he was on a 5yr $5MM deal, I would have been all for keeping him. But he just was not that good. First time he broke a 70% catch rate was this year. He quit on routes a lot.

Wish him well here in Nashville. Hope I bump into him. But I don't think we miss him. Reedy could have done what he did.

If we use Hankerson the way we did HD, we will see massive production. The guy has never been with a QB like Matt. I see tremendous upside.

maybe not because HD was always a slot got only payed outside when needed

Hankerson is an outside WR what this may do is allow Roddy to bump inside and go in motion a lot

As someone who defended the Hankerson signing, I agree that he has potential to be better than HD, but lets not act like Hankerson doesn't have flaws.

He has had plenty of boneheaded mistakes/drops. And he is nowhere near the route runner HD was. And HD was never a redzone threat due to his size and the fact that he played slot. That is not a knock against him. Thats just the WR that he is.

I still would rather have Hankerson because of his size and speed over HD, but atleast present all the facts.

Hankerson was picked in the top of the 3rd round, is 6' 2", 210lbs and ran a blazing 4.43 40 at the combine, good size and pretty freaking fast. This is his 5th season and he just turned 26 a month ago.

Hankerson is 2" taller, 25 lbs heavier and 4.5 years younger than HD.

In 81 career receptions, Hankerson scored 6 TDs with a 13.1 yard per catch average. In 259 career receptions, HD scored only 8 TDs with a 12.1 yards per catch average.

In Hankersons 2013 season, he replaced Josh Morgan as the starting wide receiver opposite Pierre Garcon, and found himself on pace to put up career numbers with 30 catches for 375 yards and three touchdowns through 10 games, with a mediocre QB throwing to him. But Hankerson tore both his anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his knee, and missed the remainder of the 2013 season as well as the first 9 games of the 2014 season while recovering.

Looking at the difference in HD and Hankerson, I think a healthy Hankerson could be a much better WR than HD was and can't wait to see what he can do with a real QB throwing to him.

I'm not going to pretend like i'm excited about this. HD was a good #3 WR. No he was not the best ever, but a good option outside of Roddy and Julio.

Hankerson was so-so in college. He did get better as he got older. He hasn't done much in the NFL and missed all of 2014. To me he is just a body. There will be a drop of in production from the #3 WR if we are counting on him. I think Hester is a better option.

So far, free agency has been a bust for the Falcons in my book. I don't need us to win the press conference. We are taking the same "sit back, let things cool off" approach to free agency that has seen us have a losing record that last 2 seasons. I think Reed may be ok, but that is not saying a lot. I think Worrilow is OK. Durant looks like Stephen Nicholas on paper to me. The Falcons have not done anything to improve the team. Derrick Morgan would have at least been an upgrade over any pass rusher on the roster.

I'm actually wondering what the draft is going to look like now. Based on what they have done in free agency, there is no way the Falcons can come out of the draft with less than 2 pass rushers. I don't have confidence that the Falcons will do the necessary things to get better. I hope they prove me wrong, there is still time.

Edited by isproab

Completely agree... MASSIVE upside.

PLUS, we got him for just 1 mil. What a value signing!

The contract is definitely part of my calculus, instead of paying HD several million we got a guy who played 30 straight games in a row before that nasty knee injury and who well outplayed HD catch for catch without a real QB even throwing to him for $1 Mill.

Out of all the moves we've made so far, this one makes most sense. I would have loved to have kept HD but as others have said, his contract was too lucrative for either how we used him or how he played. Welcome to Atlanta Leonard!

We had plenty of money to keep HD especially with the likes of Sam Baker on the roster. We should be looking for a pass catching tight end, wide out is not an issue.

Heck, I'm not sure Leonard is better than Weems or Hester so we shall see how it plays out. I believe each move should make you a better football team and this move definitely does not do that.

Edited by insight

Hankerson was picked in the top of the 3rd round, is 6' 2", 210lbs and ran a blazing 4.43 40 at the combine, good size and pretty freaking fast. He just turned 26 a month ago.

Hankerson is 2" taller, 25 lbs heavier and 4.5 years younger than HD.

Hankerson doesn't have a chronic inner-ear infection like HD did. So, he can not trip over his own **** feet. That's an upgrade in and of itself.

Hankerson and HD both would benfit being the 4th WR finding matchups on special teamers/LBers and safties because most teams have a pretty good nickle/slot CB now

Julio and ??? on the outside Roddy in the slot and Hankerson the 4th options

that was when HD was very effective when he was the 4th option behind Julio,Roddy and TG teams simply didn't have the personel to cover all of them then a back coming out of the back field as well Rodgers made a ton of plays that year.

We had plenty of money to keep HD especially with the likes of Sam Baker on the roster. We should be looking for a pass catching tight end, wide out is not an issue.

Heck, I'm not sure Leonard is better than Weems or Hester so we shall see how it plays out. I believe each move should make you a better football team and this move definitely does not do that.

WR is an issue when you only have one playmaker at the position not to mention he's also injury prone Roddy is average now and only going to decline even more

Edited by THE ICEMAN

I think this was a good signing. Just wondering though, what do you guys think about Nelson Agholor, wideout from USC? I like the guy a lot, and I've read that he could be a great slot receiver.

need a WR outside we just extended Roddy and moving him to the slot would likely make him more effective