Morgan And Clayborn - Or - Morgan Or Clayborn

g-dawg

What do you guys think?

Morgan 6'3", 261lbs/ 4.77/40

Clayborn 6'3", 280lbs/ 4.78/40

they seem like slightly different players to me. I believe Clayborn is strictly a 4-3 LDE and Morgan could probably play the LEO/OLB/RDE position. Neither particularly fast and I don't think signing both would have any bearing on still taking a Beasley/Ray/Fowler/Gregory at #8 - we are doing that no matter what - I'm fairly certain.

What do you guys think?

Morgan Only?

Clayborn Only?

Both?

I think they can get both, Morgan probably will cost more but I think he still has untapped potential as a pass rusher. I think Quinn is a guy that can get a lot out of him. Clayborn has some injury concerns and may come a little cheaper.

Don't see the fit with Clayborn. He's skill set is more that of a LDE -- which is where Morgan plays -- except he can't play LDE. He can only play on the right side because of that arm thing he has. I saw in some other threads that Clayborn would play the Michael Bennett role. Well I'm wondering how when he has to exclusively play away from the strong side of the formation. And he's not a quick-twtich speed rusher they way you'd ideally want your RDE to be. So I don't get the fit at all.

Morgan only for me. Cleaner injury history and he's be able to play in his natural spot here.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

Don't see the fit with Clayborn. He's skill set is more that of a LDE -- which is where Morgan plays -- except he can't play LDE. He can only play on the right side because of that arm thing he has. I saw in some other threads that Clayborn would play the Michael Bennett role. Well I'm wondering how when he has to exclusively play away from the strong side of the formation. And he's not a quick-twtich speed rusher they way you'd ideally want your RDE to be. So I don't get the fit at all.

Morgan only for me. Cleaner injury history and he's be able to play in his natural spot here.

I think I agree w/ this. I would say "Morgan Only" - he is the more versatile player and the healthier player.

A healthy Clayborn would be a decent piece to have - but you cannot count on him and - in this market - he will probably be overpaid. I would do an incentive laced or low guaranteed money deal only w/ Clayborn - if he does not do a team-friendly deal, I pass on Clayborn - if he would do a team-friendly deal - then I think it would be worth a "Both" vote.

I think the arm limitation is a myth. He was penciled in as the starter on the left side last year because TB acquired Johnson, so apparently they thought he could play LDE.

The problem is both are LDE in my opinion, though Clayborn has played very few snaps on the right side. I don't like to play Morgan as OLB. The main value of Clayborn comes from moving inside on passing downs.

yep - Nascar package. On third downs, I could see something like this:

LDE - Derrick Morgan

DT - Adrian Clayborn (kicks inside on obvious passing downs - has the bulk at 280 to hold up inside)

DT - Rashede' Hageman

LEO - #8 Pick - Vic Beasley/Dante Fowler/Shane Ray/Randy Gregory (in that order for me)

WLB - Justin Durant (good in coverage)

MLB - Paul Worrilow

SLB - Brooks Reed (good in coverage, designated blitzer)

that would likely bring a fairly decent passrush with that front 7

The problem is both are LDE in my opinion, though Clayborn has played very few snaps on the right side. I don't like to play Morgan as OLB. The main value of Clayborn comes from moving inside on passing downs.

Did he move inside in Tampa? I don't know. But I remember that issue with the Erb's Palsy when he was coming out, and I remember in Tampa, at least when he first got there, they didn't play him anywhere near the tight end because he had to be pretty much heads up on him and that weakened arm was a real issue. So, did he actually kick inside in Tampa, or is that something we all are imagining he can do?

I think the arm limitation is a myth. He was penciled in as the starter on the left side last year because TB acquired Johnson, so apparently they thought he could play LDE.

I know they had him penciled there last year (his only year he was actually penciled in as a LDE) and he I know that he only played one game there. Wind up going down with of all things a biceps injury.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

yep - Nascar package. On third downs, I could see something like this:

LDE - Derrick Morgan

DT - Adrian Clayborn (kicks inside on obvious passing downs - has the bulk at 280 to hold up inside)

DT - Rashede' Hageman

LEO - #8 Pick - Vic Beasley/Dante Fowler/Shane Ray/Randy Gregory (in that order for me)

WLB - Justin Durant (good in coverage)

MLB - Paul Worrilow

SLB - Brooks Reed (good in coverage, designated blitzer)

that would likely bring a fairly decent passrush with that front 7

in before Psychic Gibbon tells me I have the personnel grouping positions all wrong - lol.

Did he move inside in Tampa? I don't know. But I remember that issue with the Erb's Palsy when he was coming out, and I remember in Tampa, at least when he first got there, they didn't play him anywhere near the tight end because he had to be pretty much heads up on him and that weakened arm was a real issue. So, did he actually kick inside in Tampa, or is that something we all are imagining he can do?

I'm pretty sure he did, and I clearly remember him creating pressure against Ryan from the middle.

Both. I'm higher on Morgan than I am on Clayborn, but they both could be valuable contributors. Morgan would the priority because he doesn't have the injury history but I think adding both would give us a lot of options defensively... especially if Clayborn can get over the injury bug he's had early in his career.

Don't forget who our head coach is... and how he brought in more pass rushers to an already stacked group of pass rushers in Seattle.

I'd take both. We need all the help we can get, especially since we're stocking up on 2nd tier guys. We need competition and depth. While we'll get a stud in the 1st round in all likelihood, pass rushers usually don't beast their rookie season. 2 pass rushers in FA and one in the draft, plus the depth we have will give us options.