This Is Exactly What I Expected To Happen.

Granted I was/am all for a big name player in some capacity, Dan Quinn is doing exactly what I expected.

He spoke about wanting fast and physical players and players that when you have them, you can pull that talent out of them.

So again this is exactly what I expected and I'm really excited that DQ is doing. The defense needs a lot of work and DQ has already brought in 2 linebackers to compete. Not studs, but they are not slouches either, they are going to compete everyday.

And while we haven't signed them yet, it would not surprise me at all if both Clayborn and Morgan end up in Atlanta.

You add in that Goodman is still around for a reason and needs to drop some weight, Quinn sees something there that he can try to get out of him.

Dez working at CB. He has the length, he's a raw player but Quinn is finding ways not just in FA to add competition and pieces to this defense but he's doing it within the roster.

Our signings haven't been oh my goodness type of signings, but we add Morgan and Clayborn and Dan Quinn would have added 4 players to compete for starting jobs and Dez could make it 5 if he's ready.

Can't fix the D in one year? Quinn is sure as **** trying. And we haven't even hit the draft.

Edited by 32wood84white

What Dan Quinn is doing reminds me what Mike Budenholzer did for the Hawks. Getting guys that play his way and believe in his system. Going for "fit" over "names".

HUGE Difference between the Hawks and the Falcons!

The Hawks have plenty of talent in Teague, Milsap, Horford, Korver which are all playing at a All star level. Yes there system (Team Basketball) is a huge factor but they are not scrubs. They are not super stars but they are all bonafide starters on many NBA teams.

So far none of the signings outside of Reed have shown sustained success in the NFL.

The patriots arguable have the best coach in the NFL but he still needs blue chip players to win. Seattle's defense is loaded with talent which could start on most teams in the NFL.

You need DOGS to HUNT for titles in the NFL!

Edited by insight

The Hawks have plenty of talent in Teague, Milsap, Horford, Korver which are all playing at a All star level. Yes there system (Team Basketball) is a huge factor but they are not scrubs. They are not super stars but they are all bonafide starters on many NBA teams.

So far none of the signings outside of Reed have shown sustained success in the NFL.

The patriots arguable have the best coach in the NFL but he still needs blue chip players to win. Seattle's defense is loaded with talent which could start on most teams in the NFL.

New coach brought in Milsap and Korver, who were regarded similarly to Reed and Durant- as nice players but nothing special. You don't see the comparison?

What Dan Quinn is doing reminds me what Mike Budenholzer did for the Hawks. Getting guys that play his way and believe in his system. Going for "fit" over "names".

Good analogy. Most likely, this will take more than one season to weed all of that out as well.

hawks don't have one guy in the top 50,in scoring

Respectfully disagree. Few believe the hawks are an ultra-talented team, especially when compared to Cavs, Thunder, rockets et al. What they have done is brought in complimentary players ...Korver, Millsaps, Carroll....who understand their roles and grind it out. Teague/Horford were drafted, we need to draft better to get to next level. Free agency won't get us there, it's more about filling in missing pieces versus signing game changers like Suh...

See Redskins, Jets, Oakland....always making big FA splashes, always ending up disappointing their fans when the real season gets finished.

Coaching matters....good GM moves matter......luck matters also. We were a very lucky team 2008-2012 when it comes to injuries, very unlucky past two seasons.

Selah.

Edited by Vandy

New coach brought in Milsap and Korver, who were regarded similarly to Reed and Durant- as nice players but nothing special. You don't see the comparison?

I see where you are coming from but I see some major differences. Klye Korver is one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. Teague is also one of the best point guards in the league. Milsap, Hortford are above average, great defenders and both players have been major contributors in the past.

Reed is a nice player, but outside of stopping the run he really doesn't have any exceptional qualities. Quality signing but not a cornerstone piece.

Durant has flashed great play but injuries have plagued him in the past.

Ironically I think you could make a strong comparison between the Falcons of 2008-2011 and this years Hawks. The Falcons were a blue collar team back then and we beat opponents by playing sound football and limiting mistakes. Nothing fancy nothing special just hard nosed team football.

Once we went after Julio Jones in the pursuit of becoming more explosive those basic football principles got thrown out the window.

Hopefully Quinn can bring that back, but I don't think he has enough pieces yet. It's still early and I NEVER expected the Hawks to be this competitive so hopefully the Falcons can surprise me too.

Edited by insight

Respectfully disagree. Few believe the hawks are an ultra-talented team, especially when compared to Cavs, Thunder, rockets et al. What they have done is brought in complimentary players ...Korver, Millsaps, Carroll....who understand their roles and grind it out. Teague/Horford were drafted, we need to draft better to get to next level. Free agency won't get us there, it's more about filling in missing pieces versus signing game changers like Suh...

See Redskins, Jets, Oakland....always making big FA splashes, always ending up disappointing their fans when the real season gets finished.

Coaching matters....good GM moves matter......luck matters also. We were a very lucky team 2008-2012 when it comes to injuries, very unlucky past two seasons.

Selah.

Interesting convo, I do agree that big name free agents normally don't insure success in football or basketball. Outside of Lebron to Miami, Shaq to L.A most big name players who change teams never win a title.

Interesting convo, I do agree that big name free agents normally don't insure success in football or basketball. Outside of Lebron to Miami, Shaq to L.A most big name players who change teams never win a title.

Yes it is, thanks for your insight. I would add both Lebron and especially Shaq also had excellent coaching staff and management plan in place. The redskins, browns, jets, oakland et al of the world have a quick fix mindset versus well thought longer term strategy....

Edited by Vandy

I see where you are coming from but I see some major differences. Klye Korver is one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. Teague is also one of the best point guards in the league. Milsap, Hortford are above average, great defenders and both players have been major contributors in the past.

Reed is a nice player, but outside of stopping the run he really doesn't have any exceptional qualities. Quality signing but not a cornerstone piece.

Durant has flashed great play but injuries have plagued him in the past.

Ironically I think you could make a strong comparison between the Falcons of 2008-2011 and this years Hawks. The Falcons were a blue collar team back then and we beat opponents by playing sound football and limiting mistakes. Nothing fancy nothing special just hard nosed team football.

Once we went after Julio Jones in the pursuit of becoming more explosive those basic football principles got thrown out the window.

Hopefully Quinn can bring that back, but I don't think he has enough pieces yet. It's still early and I NEVER expected the Hawks to be this competitive so hopefully the Falcons can surprise me too.

Nobody was talking up the Hawks players at the time they were signed. Some Hawks fan thought the 4yr deal given to Korver was an overpay, when Teague was a FA some didn't want him back, when Millsap was signed some said they should have gotten Jefferson, the Carroll signing was, Who?

You are looking at what they are now because they are winning, not what the consensus was at the initial signing.

Nobody was talking up the Hawks players at the time they were signed. Some Hawks fan thought the 4yr deal given to Korver was an overpay, when Teague was a FA some didn't want him back, when Millsap was signed some said they should have gotten Jefferson, the Carroll signing was, Who?

You are looking at what they are now because they are winning, not what the consensus was at the initial signing.

The Hawks have made the playoffs for 6 consecutive years. Hawks fans were tired a getting bounced out after the 1st round which is why many wanted big name players to make the next step.

The Hawks are a big surprise this year because no one thought they could seriously contend for a championship without a true center to anchor the 5 position and a 4th quarter closer (Star Player).

In contrast the Falcons roster is in complete shambles coming off back to back losing seasons. The free agents may appear similar to the Hawks but they are very different.

Two of the free agents (Justin Durant, Leonard Hankerson) have extensive injury histories neither has proved they can stay healthy.

Reed is known as a solid run stuffer but his statistics are underwhelming to say the list. We still have nobody who can generate a pass rush.

The Hawks brought in solid lunch pale guys who had proven they could compete night in and night out in the NBA.

I don't see the Falcons free agent signings in the same light.

Edited by insight

The Hawks have made the playoffs for 6 consecutive years. Hawks fans were tired a getting bounced out after the 1st round which is why many wanted big name players to make the next step.

The Hawks are a big surprise this year because no one thought they could seriously contend for a championship without a true center to anchor the 5 position and a 4th quarter closer (Star Player).

In contrast the Falcons roster is in complete shambles coming off back to back losing seasons. The free agents may appear similar to the Hawks but they are very different.

Two of the free agents (Justin Durant, Leonard Hankerson) have extensive injury histories neither has proved they can stay healthy.

Reed is known as a solid run stuffer but his statistics are underwhelming to say the list. We still have nobody who can generate a pass rush.

The Hawks brought in solid lunch pale guys who had proven they could compete night in and night out in the NBA.

I don't see the Falcons free agent signings in the same light.