Mmqb: Nugget Buried In Peter King's Column Today - John Schneider(Seahawks Gm) Draftboard

g-dawg

The Jimmy Graham deal. Over the weekend, this simple conversation between Seattle GM John Schneider and New Orleans GM Mickey Loomis took place:

Schneider: “Anything off limits?”
Loomis: “No.”

Loomis had brought up the names of a couple of Saints receivers, but Schneider thought it was fair game—with the severely cap-strapped and offensive-line-needy Loomis—to raise the name of tight end Jimmy Graham, the touchdown and red zone machine. To make the deal, Schneider, who learned bold trading from Ron Wolf, was willing to part with a first-round pick this year. The decision to do so didn’t come easy, though. It took Schneider until Tuesday morning to come to the conclusion that it was worth it. But because he has only 16 first-round grades on this year’s class and the Seahawks pick 31st, he thought Graham plus a four for center Max Unger and what was to Schneider essentially a “two” was fair. Moves like this come when you’re not afraid to create one hole in your team (the Seahawks love Unger) to fill a crater (no Seahawks tight end caught more than 22 passes last season; Graham has averaged 89 catches over the last four years), and when you know you’ve got the draft to help fill that hole.

I think this is rather significant little detail - as obviously most of us on here respect what Schneider has done in Seattle - he has made his share of bad picks(like all GMs) but he is a very good GM.

Good to know that he perceives a dropoff after the top 16 prospects on his board - definitely makes me less likely to want to trade down at all - and, if so, not very far. I bet a lot of GMs see this the similiarly.

The Seahawks have now traded their 1st rounder two of the last 3 years.

TD would be getting destroyed on here for doing that.

well the Harvin trade would have been fine if he was not such a personal trainwreck - apparently he is just a lockerroom killa and his value in the NFL has diminished tremendously after two teams have traded have basically given up on him.

I'm not gonna fault the Seahawks for the Jimmy Graham trade - I actually think it was a very good trade for Seahawks and the Saints - for different reasons. Seahawks desperately needed more receiving weapons and redzone target and they got the best one in the NFL - I rate Graham over Gronk due to Gronk's inability to stay healthy. Saints needed cap relief and need to rebuild. They shored up their offensive line and got a late 1st rounder.

Remember when fans kept saying the Seahawks dont need receivers to win?

Well after 2 first round picks for Harvin and Graham, where are they?

So you are already pre-judging the Graham pick to be bad? obviously they gambled and lost with Harvin. I don't see them losing w/ Jimmy Graham though - good trade for Seahawks - probably good for Saints as well - they are in rebuilding mode. Saints won't do it but they should trade Brees as well - ok, i just looked at Brees contract - they cannot trade him this year - too much dead money ($33mm). However, next year the dead money goes down to $7mm - look for Saints to trade Brees in the offseason next year.

Big difference is that Sea has been the best team in the NFL, the past few years. Won 1 out of 2 SB's and will be favored to win again this year.

And when they have a bad contract, they find a way to trade it away and admit their mistake. Not ride it out

So you are already pre-judging the Graham pick to be bad? obviously they gambled and lost with Harvin. I don't see them losing w/ Jimmy Graham though - good trade for Seahawks - probably good for Saints as well - they are in rebuilding mode. Saints won't do it but they should trade Brees as well - ok, i just looked at Brees contract - they cannot trade him this year - too much dead money ($33mm). However, next year the dead money goes down to $7mm - look for Saints to trade Brees in the offseason next year.

I don't know how soft Jimmy is going to fit with that team. It gets pretty cold in Seattle in the winter. Im sure he'll be happy to not have to face Seattle anymore though.

How does what I said equate to that at all? lol.

I said people kept saying the Seahawks didnt need receiving talent to win. Trading for Graham further shows even THEY dont believe that BS argument.

Depends on where we would be picking.

I highly doubt we'd be picking 8 this year if Dimitroff had Schneider's drafting ability. Just saying.

The Seahawks have 2 consecutive Superbowl appearances to illicit hope and trust in their moves. TD has one playoff win in 7 years. He has a right to be questioned. Our roster is one of the worst in the league. The seahawks can give up 1st rounders because they know their window is NOW. Falcons are in extreme Rebuild mode and have won 10 games in 2 years. BIG difference

The Seahawks have 2 consecutive Superbowl appearances to illicit hope and trust in their moves. TD has one playoff win in 7 years. He has a right to be questioned. Our roster is one of the worst in the league. The seahawks can give up 1st rounders because they know their window is NOW. Falcons are in extreme Rebuild mode and have won 10 games in 2 years. BIG difference

The Falcons are not in "extreme rebuild mode".

We were in 'win now' mode when we made the Julio trade. I'm sure you still question it to this day.

How does one of the worst rosters in the league go 6-10 when the coach lost two games on his own? This was a .500 team with no coach at all....

I still wouldn't take Wilson as my QB though. And yes I know his record and SB win.

Wilson is creeping up the list he is a top 10 guy now and soon could be a top 5 guy

the gap between him and a player like Ryan isn't that great now it looks that way when Ryan had an offense around him now its Julio and nobody else and the offense really struggles to finish drives and create mis matches as teams are able to just take julio out of the game and make other guys beat them

the worse mistake they made was extending roddy white yea he's a fan favorite and has been great in the pass but he's done and easily replaceable at a much cheaper price and in shanahans offense Julio will get even more targets so it only makes sense to have player who are YAC guys around julio so they made the most out there plays. Roddy has never been a great yac guy more so a great route runner

well the Harvin trade would have been fine if he was not such a personal trainwreck - apparently he is just a lockerroom killa and his value in the NFL has diminished tremendously after two teams have traded have basically given up on him.

I'm not gonna fault the Seahawks for the Jimmy Graham trade - I actually think it was a very good trade for Seahawks and the Saints - for different reasons. Seahawks desperately needed more receiving weapons and redzone target and they got the best one in the NFL - I rate Graham over Gronk due to Gronk's inability to stay healthy. Saints needed cap relief and need to rebuild. They shored up their offensive line and got a late 1st rounder.

After looking at it again I don't think it was a good deal for both teams. Sure the saints get an extra 1st round but it doesn't give them cap relief until next year. After the trade they are currently 3 million over the cap so I expect more cuts/trades to come from them. Unger will be a FA next year and is expected to be paid among the top C in the league. Brees is not gonna take a pay cut knowing they can cut him next year and the can't afford long term to restructure his current contract. Personally I feel like Loomis is gambling that they can do enough to win a weak division and get in the playoffs the hopefully catch fire for a SB run. I also feel this could very well be Brees last season with the saints.

Edit. Just read where Brees has the second highest cap hit in the league this year at 26.5 million

Edited by shockerfalcon