Having Your Cake And Eating It, Too

I'm a solid #3. The difficult part this year is there are so many unknowns. To be supportive of the plan and grand scheme, you have to take an optimistic view that the scheme (an unproven one with a new HC) will actually work. Throw in guys who have never worked within this scheme and collect guys who while not bad players are far from proven superstars and you have some grounds for pessimism. No position is really wrong.

I'd rather be dealing with this then what is potential a cluster**** in Philly right now you know I'm also #3 I use to be #1, but with what's happened over the past couple of years I slowed down on that. The only way I'd get back to #1 is if we're winning games we should, and competing in the others we lose.

Also there is no problem being pessimistic, but I mean give it a chance this ain't Madden 2015 you're not the GM(this is directed at those who are pessimistic) Things don't necessarily work like they do in a video game just saying. Like people are upset about the Justin Houston or Suh deals I don't want no part of that. Because in another way if either had come here and they both get injured well then what, or if they don't perform like they have before then what? Now if they do hey more power to them, but Suh was out of reach long before this season we'd have to unload Julio and a few other guys to even have "shot" at him.

PokerSteve, I understand the skepticism of TD remaining GM. I do not like the needs based strategy toward the drafts the last several years. Hope Quinn influences him and he learns from past mistakes. Falcons got good really fast with Turner and Ryan, and it was great for a few years, but I think it has hurt in the long run.

PokerSteve, I understand the skepticism of TD remaining GM. I do not like the needs based strategy toward the drafts the last several years. Hope Quinn influences him and he learns from past mistakes. Falcons got good really fast with Turner and Ryan, and it was great for a few years, but I think it has hurt in the long run.

Agree with you. I think having Quinn around will be a tremendously beneficial situation for TD, just as bringing in Pioli seemed to make a positive difference in the quality of players we got in the draft and FA last year. Except for Jackson, I thought we did pretty well. With Quinn having final say, our FA and draft should be even better this year and continue to trend upward going forward.

Very good post bro.

Amen on not reaching due to perceived need. This roster has several weak spots, enough to take advantage of early round picks and get BPA.

This. Part of the reason this team is where it is, is because of one year fix jobs. This is a great draft at RB and WR. Hope we get one of each. It's not good for TE. Hope we don't reach bc of need.

I'm a proud founding member of Group 2, which encompasses the best of Type 1 and Type 3 fans. We are always going to be optimistic, because that's what being a fan is all about. If you're not optimistic and looking forward to next season, next game, next HC change etc., then you're basically nothing more than a casual observer who might someday become a fan. Of course, Group 2 fans are also smarter, handsomer, more sophisticated and generally way more cool than regular Type 1, 2 and 3 fans, but that's fodder for another post.

Group 2 is extremely optimistic about the hiring of Dan Quinn. His passion, dedication to his craft, coaching acumen, talent evaluation skills and leadership make him one of the best if not the best HC prospect to be had in the NFL this year or even the past several years. But optimism about Quinn's potential is somewhat dampened by the specter of TD remaining as the team's GM.

Hopefully, Quinn will be telling TD who to go after, and he'll be little more than an order-filler. The less TD has to do with the actual selection process and the more he leaves talent evaluation to Pioli, Quinn and the scouting department, the better I feel about our chances of making the significant upgrades across the roster necessary to become competitive again.

Here's hoping this season will produce a brand new, more explosive, aggressive, exciting and competitive brand of football than what we've seen in years, regardless of the won-loss record.

I love the irony of this.

You talked about always being optimistic, yet you can't find anything optimistic to say about a GM who built a team that achieved what we did from 2008-12.

I support the Falcons. I'm not always sure of every move they make any more than I can pretend to have access to all the information they have when setting the "big picture".

I do understand that players are human beings just as coaches, executives, trainers and fans are. Human beings are not infallible.

1. There are health issues always looming because they are human beings - and that's just a fact of life. Then top that off with the physical nature of their training, practice and playing and that health issue looms larger.

2. There are learning curves for such a complex game. New players learning a new system with new play calls. Old players learning a new system with new play calls. Defenses learning to trust each other. Blocking schemes, defenses, routes, etc., etc., etc. There's a lot to remember - and it takes time. And they are human beings.

3. There is the level of player they are facing in the game. Sometimes, the opponent is just a little better. Sometimes it's a play - sometimes it's a game. Just a fact of life.

4. Coaches are human too. They over or under estimate players, plays and opponents at times. Even the most brilliant playcaller can make a mistake - and occasionally that mistake has a tragic outcome for not only that particular play or game - but for a player.

5. Fans are human - so we are going to want the best player available for any given position and because our only acceptable outcome is the ultimate success of the team every year - we are going to face the most frustration, the highest highs and the lowest lows during any given year - and because we are human - we will react to each of those.

So, while I can't know what the outcome of the tenure of a particular FA pickup, draft pick or trade pickup will end up being, I always hope for the best while understanding that the human factor is ever present and omnipotent.

That's a very sensible, realistic perspective.

I always try to be optimistic, but never lose sight of the fact that wining a championship is a 1 in 32 longshot every season, and that we are competing against 31 other team who want to win just as much as we do and who work just as hard to try to do so.

I love the irony of this.

You talked about always being optimistic, yet you can't find anything optimistic to say about a GM who built a team that achieved what we did from 2008-12.

Regular season wins and getting embarrassed in big games may satisfy some people in here, but it doesn't do jack shlt for me, son. If you're that easily satisfied, fine, but I want a lot more than that.

The majority of the fan-base fits within a few categories: 1.) Supportive no matter what moves are made. Usually optimistic. Finds the silver linings. Positive and looks to the best case outcome. 2.) Unsupportive no matter what move is made. Usually pessimistic. Looks at the downside to every player. Negative and expects the worst. 3.) The Realist. Knows that not every move is going to work. Tries to understand the moves in the larger scheme. The first type often looks at the second type as not being fans, which is not true. The second type looks at the first type as steeple, which in some instances can be true, but I think both types really want the best for their team, just express it differently. Which type are you? I prefer to be optimistic, because focusing on the negatives isn't going to make me any happier, so I try to find silver linings. Yet, over the years I have moved closer to the third type. Now, this is my qualm with the "type 2" folks, and my attempt to persuade you to be a little less negative during the offseason. I think criticism is perfectly fine and good, but the question is whether or not you are being "fair and balanced." I really haven't seen a lot of that. I will give a shootout to WOR here, (if you are reading this I sense you are a type 3 guy), because I've seen the best of both worlds from him. Now, let's be REAL. Any move can be spun in any direction. If you're type 1, you will spin the positive. If you are type 2, the negative. If your issue with the players being signed is due to injury history, (let's take Justin Durant here for example, how much would you have paid for a durable part time guy to become a full time guy? How would you address the other needs on this team when you've paid most of the cap toward one player? If the Falcons overpaid for a guy and left multiple holes at other positions, would you have been negative about how much the Falcons paid player X? Now how about the durable guy (let's take Brooks Reed for example). Are you complaining about the skill set or lack of certain skills when you are paying him half or less than half of what the other guys make? If he is filling a role on the team, how can you get mad? YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT, TOO! The Falcons have a plan. One that encompasses the draft and the rest of free agency. We don't see the big picture yet and won't until it's completed. The bigger picture is really three years out, but as far as one offseason, it's tough to be overly critical of a couple of moves here or there because of injury history or lack of certain skillets with players. Will all these moves work? History suggests that most likely not, but if I'm a gambler, I'm taking much less of a risk by not putting all of my chips in on one roll of the dice.

You left off type 4). The eternal optimist that posts text walls and never used paragraphs in his life! j/k

I like to think I'm a type 3 realist and can confirm that realists are often accused of being negative nancy pessimists by group 1 sheeple and shiny happy people.

Regular season wins and getting embarrassed in big games may satisfy some people in here, but it doesn't do jack shlt for me, son. If you're that easily satisfied, fine, but I want a lot more than that.

Who said anything about being satisfied?

If you are slaying a Gm because he built a team that "only" got to the NFCCG and had the best record on the conference in a 5 year span and didn't win a SB then you aren't an optimist or a realist.