Angry White House And G.o.p. Senators Clash Over Letter To Iran

Ah, got it. From the links that I provided, it looks like the middle class saw a drop in total tax burden, although a small one. In terms of taxes, it's not so much that the middle class is getting screwed, it's that the upper income earners have it much better than they have in the past 40 years or so.

Where I think people argue that the middle class are getting screwed is in terms of health care costs and other benefits that used to be more affordable. The increase in wages for the upper income earners has kept up (possibly surpassed) those rising costs. But middle class wages have stagnated during this period, so those costs are eating into their disposable income.

Overall tax rates should come down as the population grows. The military budget shouldn't double just because the population doubles. There should be massive economies of scale in a lot of areas that haven't come to fruition. A lot of us fiscal conservatives don't have a problem with paying more taxes so long as we address the stupidity within the government we already support.

Middle class wages have stagnated, but I don't see that being caused by the wealthy. I see it being driven by stockholders that want the bottom line increased.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall tax rates should come down as the population grows. The military budget shouldn't double just because the population doubles. There should be massive economies of scale in a lot of areas that haven't come to fruition. A lot of us fiscal conservatives don't have a problem with paying more taxes so long as we address the stupidity within the government we already support.

Middle class wages have stagnated, but I don't see that being caused by the wealthy. I see it being driven by stockholders that want the bottom line increased.

No disagreement, but I would point out that the stockholders are often the wealthiest people. And their capital gains are taxed at a much lower rate. I have no problem with making government more efficient, myself.

No disagreement, but I would point out that the stockholders are often the wealthiest people. And their capital gains are taxed at a much lower rate. I have no problem with making government more efficient, myself.

nearly all stocks are controlled by a select few people. It is really the idea or culture within that needs to change. One company deciding to do what's best for employees isn't going to get it done. Government regulation sure as **** isn't going to get it done. I don't know the answer to how it gets fixed, but I suspect that the same young people we deride as worthless and ungrateful are going to lead the change. We just need to get them focused enough to punish companies that treat their employees like ****.

We also need to chill with all the regulation put on small businesses. It's absurd. Between the tax reporting guidelines, state and local permitting, and ability to be sued by whoever for whatever, it's creating hostile barriers for entrepreneurs.

We also need to chill with all the regulation put on small businesses. It's absurd. Between the tax reporting guidelines, state and local permitting, and ability to be sued by whoever for whatever, it's creating hostile barriers for entrepreneurs.

Some of that regulation comes from lobbying done by larger corporations. And is done so to stifle competition.