Andre Johnson Released

Sorry, would much rather draft someone like Phillip Dorsett or Tre McBride. We need to get younger at WR, not older. Roddy, Hester, and Weems are all 29 or older.

Only way I would be okay with this is if we still draft a WR, carry 6 WRs on the active roster, and relegate Hester to special teams only.

I think Johnson will want to play for a contender, though, and I doubt he'd see us as one. It's much more likely he winds up in Baltimore, who have already been connected to him, or maybe in Seattle or New England.

To those who want him, where does he fit in?

He is not going to take a significantly reduced role from what he had in Houston in previous years. That is the entire reason he asked to be released, because they told him he'd be catching around 40 balls a year instead of 80 & might not even be a starter. He got offended, told Houston they were going to have an angry player on their hands, and demanded a trade or release.

Julio is the #1, that's a given.

So, do you really think Roddy is going to take a significantly reduced role, so Johnson could be the #2?

I just don't see that happening.

So Johnson wouldn't be the #1 here, not likely to be the #2, and he refuses to play somewhere he's going to be a #3... so why would we bring him here & pay him a significant chunk of our cap space when there really seems to be no fit for him here, and there are a number of cheaper, younger options that fit what we need perfectly?

I can't help but think most here are just into a name & not actually looking at the scenario.

Plus, as I & many others have already mentioned on the boards in various threads, we gotta get younger at the position & this looks like a solid draft class to get that started.

To those who want him, where does he fit in?

He is not going to take a significantly reduced role from what he had in Houston in previous years. That is the entire reason he asked to be released, because they told him he'd be catching around 40 balls a year instead of 80 & might not even be a starter. He got offended, told Houston they were going to have an angry player on their hands, and demanded a trade or release.

Julio is the #1, that's a given.

So, do you really think Roddy is going to take a significantly reduced role, so Johnson could be the #2?

I just don't see that happening.

So Johnson wouldn't be the #1 here, not likely to be the #2, and he refuses to play somewhere he's going to be a #3... so why would we bring him here & pay him a significant chunk of our cap space when there really seems to be no fit for him here, and there are a number of cheaper, younger options that fit what we need perfectly?

I can't help but think most here are just into a name & not actually looking at the scenario.

Plus, as I & many others have already mentioned on the boards in various threads, we gotta get younger at the position & this looks like a solid draft class to get that started.

I agree 1,000% with this. This is how an NFL GM will look at it. Fans just hear the name and think about the WR trio of Johnson, Jones, and White while forgetting the fact that this would mean we had very little $ to fill positions of NEED. Johnson wasn't even the best receiver on his own team last year and is 34 years old. People are already talking about how old Roddy is and he's younger than Johnson. I just can't understand the line of thinking when we continue to obsess over FA WR's this offseason when we have many more pressing needs and a deep draft class of WR's.

The best comparisons for his contract that come to mind are Roddy and Reggie Wayne's last contracts. They each got 3 years, $18 million. They didn't reach FA though, where the price is likely to be higher, especially this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he got $8-9 million per year.

No way for me if the price is anywhere close to that.

Edited by Phillipkeith Manley

meh......I wouldn't mind if he's cheap, and takes Harry's spot.

He won't take Harry's spot... that's why he asked to be traded/released from Houston in the first place.

He won't be cheap... probably will want at the very least $6M-$7M per season.

meh......I wouldn't mind if he's cheap, and takes Harry's spot.

read K-Trains post above.

Johnson is leaving because the Texans told him he'd get half the targets he had last year and he literally laughed at them.

He's not going to a team so he can be the third option as the slot guy.

He won't take Harry's spot... that's why he asked to be traded/released from Houston in the first place.

He won't be cheap... probably will want at the very least $6M-$7M per season.

read K-Trains post above.

Johnson is leaving because the Texans told him he'd get half the targets he had last year and he literally laughed at them.

He's not going to a team so he can be the third option as the slot guy.

HA!

He is old but I can tell you that his numbers were down this past season partly because Deandre Hopkins was always Ryan Fitzpatrick's first read. Many of Andre Johnsons target can when the play was breaking down because Hopkins wasn't open and then he would try to find Andre Johnson. The Texans games I went to I could see Fitz staring down Hopkins pass play after pass play

I'd love to see Atlanta sign him at a reasonable price. NOTE I SAID REASONABLE PRICE. I wont be surprised if he ends up playing for the Patriots though. I think at this point he doesn't want to play for a team in recovery mode, or a team building for the future, I think he wants to play for a contender right now. I'm thinking he ends up in New England or perhaps Denver, but who knows, he might end up in Seattle. We shall see.....