Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rings

Spoon Gone?

514 posts in this topic

yeah, I only wanna bring him back on a short deal at $4mm/yr or less. He has not earned a contract even that good but would be betting on the come that he would be better...

If some team wants to give Spoon six million a year, then we just need to let'em go.

Yes he is an impact player when he is on the field. But how often is that?

I wouldn't venture that far.

He's slightly better than worrilow but worse than lofton. His remeeding value was he could cover TE'S and occasionally rbs running out of the backfield.

He did whiff on a lot of tackles going for the hard hit, and sometimes seemed lost in the run game.

Honestly I didn't want him back, but I'm surprised given that quinn wants him.

Califalcon0013 likes this

Think it is more to get him at the right price or it's better to put that money in a different name that can produce more...

I agree with that. I hope we can convince enough important pieces to come here. Just because we have money to spend doesn't mean the players will come. I'm so over Spoon though. What a bust for this franchise.

yeah, I only wanna bring him back on a short deal at $4mm/yr or less. He has not earned a contract even that good but would be betting on the come that he would be better...

If some team wants to give Spoon six million a year, then we just need to let'em go.

6 mill a season breaks down to 1m per game, considering he never makes it past game #7.

He is not worse than Lofton..

It's not even close in the run game, he's better as a rusher and pass defender.

I'm still old school, imo the #1 quality you'd want in a lb is their ability to shut the run gamedown.

I think that David Harris deal came to bite us in the a LB in this FA classss.... Dude got 7+ mil and multiple teams are interested in Spoon and feel he is the best LB in this FA class.

**** this is rough if he walks.... Besides Prince playing some SLB...... I dont feel like none of our LBs really fit what Quinn wants to do... Maybe Squrills.

Lets see what happens... Some said Hawley was gone before we signed him at the last minute

My theory is that Spoon is upset that we don't seem to be re-signing Corey Peters either, those guys are tight and also probably want slightly more than we're willing to pay them.

It's unfortunate because they're two of my favorites.

I think that David Harris deal came to bite us in the a LB in this FA classss.... Dude got 7+ mil and multiple teams are interested in Spoon and feel he is the best LB in this FA class.

**** this is rough if he walks.... Besides Prince playing some SLB...... I dont feel like none of our LBs really fit what Quinn wants to do... Maybe Squrills.

Lets see what happens... Some said Hawley was gone before we signed him at the last minute

Harris has produced and stayed healthy. If Spoon thinks he's sniffing that deal then he's going to be as disappointed as Lofton was.

JDaveG likes this

It's not even close in the run game, he's better as a rusher and pass defender.

I'm still old school, imo the #1 quality you'd want in a lb is their ability to shut the run gamedown.

Spoon is a 3 down LB

Lofton is a 2 down LB

That alone makes him more valuable than Lofton. You just don't like his injury history as do all of us.

This^^^^^

Yea he is injury prone. We all have a problem with that. We all get that.

But I have asked who is better in FA 3 times in this thread and nobody can answer.

Many teams think he is the best LB FOR HIS POSITION in FA.

ZoneOne01 likes this

Spoon is a 3 down LB

Lofton is a 2 down LB

That alone makes him more valuable than Lofton. You just don't like his injury history as do all of us.

Except spoon succs vs the run. Our defense didn't really drop off when he was hurt, my opinion.

Can I get some names?

I'd give Rolando McClain a look over Spoon.

I'd have loved David Harris, but he's older and re-signed with the Jets.

I think either is an improvement over Spoon. McClain is a bigger risk/higher upside, and Harris is more stable/no upside.

I think either is an improvement over Spoon. McClain is a bigger risk/higher upside, and Harris is more stable/no upside.

I imagine McClain is going to be named a suspect in the arson that destroyed his home in Tuscaloosa.

This^^^^^

Yea he is injury prone. We all have a problem with that. We all get that.

But I have asked who is better in FA 3 times in this thread and nobody can answer.

Many teams think he is the best LB FOR HIS POSITION in FA.

Just because the LB free agent class is terrible does not mean he is worth spending money on.

Quite possibly. I felt the entire time it would take 3yrs $12M or so to sign Spoon. Maybe even $5M per yr, and that is easily doable by us.

Give him 3yrs $15M, 5M signing bonus guarantee this yrs salary around $2M. He would see $7M this yr and that is plenty. Cap hit would be between $3-4M.

He may get get 3yrs $20M on the open market, maybe more like you said based on the Harris contract.

Harris has produced and stayed healthy. If Spoon thinks he's sniffing that deal then he's going to be as disappointed as Lofton was.

I dont think he is getting that but i think the market will pay him more then probably the 4 mil we are offering .

Like the market offered Grimes more money then we would

Teams are very interested in Spoon.. Teams know he has been injured but they see his ability and what he can be if he stays healthy.

Like Coach Quinn said.. Is he a guy that has had to deal with a lil bad luck on the injury front.

We shall see

Go get Bruce Carter

he is on my radar. similiar type player to Spoon with similiar injury history. talented guy though.

Harris as you talked about is not a free agent so don't see the reason to bring him up other than wanting to put somebody on the list other than....

McClain who just has another arrest this offseason and may be suspended for 4 games. Who also was just recently retired and considered an even worst bust than Spoon until just last year.

If anything McClain is more fool's gold than Spoon is. McClain' off the field issues are worst than Spoon's injuries. At least Spoon was on a football field getting removed from games AND Spoon has been more productive.

Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin 29m29 minutes ago

LB Sean Weatherspoon is leaning toward signing with the #AZCardinals, per a league source.

D. Orlando Ledbetter ‏@DOrlandoAJC 4m4 minutes ago

“@J_Slaven13: did the Falcons make an offer to Spoon? Sounded like they were gonna be able to extend him”<-worked hard to get a deal

lets see what happen ... Again last year some felt Hawley was headed to the Colts but we got a deal done.... Lets see what happens

Just because the LB free agent class is terrible does not mean he is worth spending money on.

Which one of us knows why Spoon is leaning towards Arizona?

Even saying that I'm not saying the FO is to blame either but a bunch of people in here are ready to throw him to side as if we have a better option available to us.

That's all that I'm pointing out. Who is the better option? You pretty much confirmed nobody by calling it a weak FA class.

Harris as you talked about is not a free agent so don't see the reason to bring him up other than wanting to put somebody on the list other than....

McClain who just has another arrest this offseason and may be suspended for 4 games. Who also was just recently retired and considered an even worst bust than Spoon until just last year.

If anything McClain is more fool's gold than Spoon is. McClain' off the field issues are worst than Spoon's injuries. At least Spoon was on a football field getting removed from games AND Spoon has been more productive.

McClain just came off a VERY productive season with the Cowboys. Spoon just came off his second rehab season in a row.

McClain may miss 4 games. Spoon, by history, will almost certainly miss more than that. I'll take the 25 year old with upside and no injury history to speak of over the guy who can't stay on the field to save his life. Sorry.

I brought up Harris to give you an example of another type of player I think is an upgrade over Spoon. Harris' upside is nowhere near what McClain's is, but he's a stable veteran who can stay on the football field and be productive.

EDIT: To further my point about Spoon missing time, he has played more than 12 games in a season twice -- 2012 and 2013. In 2012 he played in 13, not a marked difference between the 12 you assume McClain will play, and in 2011, for the only time in his career, he played in 16. 2010 he played 11 games, 2013 he played 7, 2014 he played 0. I'll take the guy who is likely to be on the field.

Very disappointed. I wanted to see what a healthy spoon could do in Quinn's D.

Considering his injuries he should be thrilled ATL tried to keep him.

Money talks. Good luck on the Catds with the revolving QB carousel.

And what exactly has Spoon done since he's been here? Oh yeah, stayed injured a lot and run around like a chicken with its head cut off. I see why you guys want him back now.

FalconMama likes this