Prison Proves Being Gay Is A Choice, Says Gop Pres Hopeful Ben Carson

Billy Ocean

"A lot of people. . . go into prison straight, and when they come out, they're gay," former neurosurgeon tells CNN

By Ryan Reed March 4, 2015

GOP presidential hopeful Ben Carson believes homosexuality is "absolutely" a choice. His proof? "A lot of people. . . go into prison straight, and when they come out, they're gay," the retired neurosurgeon said Wednesday in the above interview with CNN host Chris Cuomo. "So did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question."

In the clip, Cuomo appears dumbfounded by the logic and follows with a rational observation. "I'm not denying that's true," he says, "but I'm denying that's a basis of understanding sexuality. . . A lot of people go into jail a drug addict and come out a criminal. Does that mean all drug addicts are criminals?"

Carson maintains that civil issues should be controlled at the state, not federal, level. When Cuomo compares the same-sex marriage issue to constitutional changes following the abolition of slavery, Carson is adamant those are two unrelated issues. "People have no control over their race," he says. He also closes out the interview by telling gay people why they want to get married and examining the meaning of the word "marriage."

"Why do gay people want to get married?" he asks. "Because they want to have various rights — property rights, visitation rights. Why can’t any two human beings, I don't care what their sexual orientation is, why can't they have the legal right to do those things? That does not require changing the definition of marriage."

Carson, 63, created an exploratory committee for a campaign run earlier this week. The politician is a graduate of the University of Michigan School of Medicine and the only African-American expected to enter the 2016 presidential race for the GOP. He gained national exposure after criticizing Obamacare at the 2013 National Prayer breakfast.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/prison-proves-being-gay-is-a-choice-says-gop-pres-hopeful-ben-carson-20150304#ixzz3TRiHc9fR
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I'm starting to wonder if there are any sane Republicans left.

Sure there are. Just none that are running for president. The Republicans in blue states are mostly reasonable because they have to be to keep their seats. The wackos are in the solid red states where district races are all about who can out-crazy the other.

The GOP is in the wilderness period where the fringe is controlling the party. We saw that in the mid 2000s with the Democrats when guys like Howard Dean were calling the shots.

It's really an illogical argument to begin with. At best it shows some who engage in homosexual behavior choose to orient themselves that way. This in no way demonstrates that all do.

I doubt he'd find the opposite logic persuasive, for example, if someone were to say that because some homosexuals are oriented that way naturally that therefore all are.

Sure there are. Just none that are running for president. The Republicans in blue states are mostly reasonable because they have to be to keep their seats. The wackos are in the solid red states where district races are all about who can out-crazy the other.

The GOP is in the wilderness period where the fringe is controlling the party. We saw that in the mid 2000s with the Democrats when guys like Howard Dean were calling the shots.

And the problem is that any reasonable Republican from a blue state has to pander to the crazies to get ahead in the primary. Look at how McCain tried to become rightwing in 2008. Look at how Romney tried to become rightwing in 2012. If you don't speak to the crazies, you get labeled a RINO. It's a real dilemma for the party right now, especially for people like Jeb Bush or Kelly Ayotte.

Here's a good article about how Boehner could overcome some of the problems with the hardliners in the House:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/john-boehner-gop-speakership-115754.html?hp=t3_r

I don't know how the party deals with the same issue in its presidential primaries, though.

And the problem is that any reasonable Republican from a blue state has to pander to the crazies to get ahead in the primary. Look at how McCain tried to become rightwing in 2008. Look at how Romney tried to become rightwing in 2012. If you don't speak to the crazies, you get labeled a RINO. It's a real dilemma for the party right now, especially for people like Jeb Bush or Kelly Ayotte.

Here's a good article about how Boehner could overcome some of the problems with the hardliners in the House:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/john-boehner-gop-speakership-115754.html?hp=t3_r

I don't know how the party deals with the same issue in its presidential primaries, though.

I don't think it's a problem. Let the loons quick and squabble until they've pushed themselves so far off the margins we never hear from them again. Just 20-30 more years and we'll more or less be free of this garbage.

It's really an illogical argument to begin with. At best it shows some who engage in homosexual behavior choose to orient themselves that way. This in no way demonstrates that all do.

I doubt he'd find the opposite logic persuasive, for example, if someone were to say that because some homosexuals are oriented that way naturally that therefore all are.

Exactly. Starting with the premise of 'all' is in itself a failure. Some would have been more logical. You can always go with some in an argument.

Had this nature/nurture gay debate while getting a hair cut last week. Discussed was a family of five with three in the family being gay including identical twins.

Part of the problem with the debate is that it's framed as nature vs. nurture, as if sexuality were a choice if it were a product of anything created after one's birth. If our society wasn't still being crushed under the weight of religious and familial neuroses dressed up as common-sense psychology like what Ben Carson's saying, we wouldn't have to pretend nonsense like sexuality being a choice was ever true for anyone.

I still can't figure out why whether someone chooses to be gay or not is the actual argument.

Whether they were born that way or choose to be that way, they're gay.

I guess it's to preempt any argument that gays should be a protected class. Curiously, I've never seen that argument applied to religion.

Who cares. This nation is becoming a moral toilet. Let them do their thing and speed process up for the nation. An amoral society only succeeds for so long.

It was a moral toilet when slavery was regarded as a necessary economic tool and women didn't have any recourse for being raped and battered once they were married. It's really started to come around in the last few decades.

It was a moral toilet when slavery was regarded as a necessary economic tool and women didn't have any recourse for being raped and battered once they were married. It's really started to come around in the last few decades.

Not sure what that has to do with my post serge.

Not sure what that has to do with my post serge.

In a sense I was agreeing with it, we had an abhorrent, amoral society, then laws were created that forced people to treat each other like human beings. So you were right; our amoral society could only succeed for so long before some decent lawmakers started forcing people to be decent towards each other. Still a long road to go, but we've made a lot of real progress.

I still can't figure out why whether someone chooses to be gay or not is the actual argument.

Whether they were born that way or choose to be that way, they're gay.

I've argued the same from the standpoint of Christian theology. It doesn't matter if I lust after men or women. The problem is I lust. Mine isn't better than theirs.

So much of Christian treatment of homosexuals has more to do with the fact we find it "icky" than any real theological grounding. There are issues on the other side, too, of course (such as the claim that lust isn't sinful, etc.). But IMHO, Christians have their own back door to sweep around (no homo).