Florio: Falcons Going After Orakpo

Signing Orakpo to big $$$ would be a huge mistake IMO....that pec is hamburger man ....he is a gym rat that wanted to be the strongest man in the NFL, this guy could rip another muscle in the weight room and never hit the fkng field....if we sign him I hope I eat crow and he becomes comeback player of the year but this chit scares me....

He'll be 29 by the time the season starts and already having injuries problems not sure thats a good idea but he is easily better than anything we've had for a while even if it is for only 4-5 games

^^^^^This.

While Orakpo is not OLD yet by NFL standards (29 for 2015 season) - he is not YOUNG either. Just as Dean Woermer told Flounder "Fat, Drunk & Stupid is no way to go through life, son" - I'm telling you that "Old, injured and declining" is no way for TD to continue to sign free agents.

This is idiotic to pursue a player whose INJURIES have been at the back-end of his 6yr NFL career - we are not talking about a guy that was injured early in his career and healthy the last 3 years - au contraire - he has missed 33-of-his-last-48 games. I don't know what "new information" my good buddy KOG has come across - but it is faulty info.

Also, when healthy, Orakpo averages about 1/2 sack per game - so Orakpo's UPSIDE when he was healthy was 8 sacks/yr.

Suckers bet is paying a guy for his past performance when his future performance is not likely to be anywhere near is good. Recent history tells us this guy is going to play about 1/2 of the games each year (over 4 year period) - so we get 8 healthy games a year and about 4 sacks/yr.

Even if you think Orakpo's injuries are behind him, his upside when he was younger and played was 8 sacks/yr - he is not likely to match those numbers again.

You guys want to pay this guy $6mm+/yr? really?

In this pass-rush starved market, it might take more to sign him - let's say it takes 5yrs, $35mm with $14mm guaranteed - for an average of $7mm/season.

c'monnnnnnnn man.

^^^^^This.

While Orakpo is not OLD yet by NFL standards (29 for 2015 season) - he is not YOUNG either. Just as Dean Woermer told Flounder "Fat, Drunk & Stupid is no way to go through life, son" - I'm telling you that "Old, injured and declining" is no way for TD to continue to sign free agents.

This is idiotic to pursue a player whose INJURIES have been at the back-end of his 6yr NFL career - we are not talking about a guy that was injured early in his career and healthy the last 3 years - au contraire - he has missed 33-of-his-last-48 games. I don't know what "new information" my good buddy KOG has come across - but it is faulty info.

Also, when healthy, Orakpo averages about 1/2 sack per game - so Orakpo's UPSIDE when he was healthy was 8 sacks/yr.

Suckers bet is paying a guy for his past performance when his future performance is not likely to be anywhere near is good. Recent history tells us this guy is going to play about 1/2 of the games each year (over 4 year period) - so we get 8 healthy games a year and about 4 sacks/yr.

Even if you think Orakpo's injuries are behind him, his upside when he was younger and played was 8 sacks/yr - he is not likely to match those numbers again.

You guys want to pay this guy $6mm+/yr? really?

In this pass-rush starved market, it might take more to sign him - let's say it takes 5yrs, $35mm with $14mm guaranteed - for an average of $7mm/season.

c'monnnnnnnn man.

If this ends up the case as far as how much money he will demand. I say no thank you.

Guest facelessman07

As long as we don't throw cash at him I'm game. At this point I'm with you on Suh.

Imagine a DL of: Suh/Soliai/Hageman/Orakpo (IF we could afford Suh's demands).... as long as Orakpo would stay healthy, we'd ******* dominate OLs

Welcome to the dark side

NOPE!!! I retract all ALL negative statements about Brian Orakpo. Bring him home. Something was brought to my attention. He only has one injured season. The truth will come out soon enough. Orakpo isn't as injury proned as stated. He's ready to play from what I understand and is in good shape.

He has Kyle Shanahan's seal of approval. This was a serious joint affair and its a good move if worked. It won't be super cheap, but not expensive either. Its a great move.

Quinn is a mad scientist. Kyle isn't compared to Kubiak and his dad. Most compare him to Billick, because he is a DEFENSIVE minded OC. Yes, a defensive minded OC. I am thrilled at this point. Don't believe the narrative of Orakpo's injuries like I did. He is good to go.

Brian Orakpo played in most of his college games after being red-shirted the first year, but had some injuries his last 2 years. Since being drafted by the Redskins - he has played 6 years of football as the starter - but has only had 1 year where he did not leave a game or miss a game for injury. That was his first year - 2009. Here is a breakdown:

College years:

2004 - Red-shirted

2005 - Played in all 13 games - started in 1

2006 - Played in all 13 games as a starter

2007 - Junior year in College - Missed 4 games due to right knee injury

2008 - Senior year in College - Missed 2nd half of Texas Tech game, all of Baylor game and was sparingly played at Kansas with knee injury

Drafted 2009 by Washington Redskins:

2009 - Played in all 16 games

2010 - Missed Jacksonville game on 12/26 with groin and hamstring injuries. Played in the Giants game after that, but was playing injured.

2011 - Tore his left pectoral muscle in last game against Philadelphia - left in 2nd quarter - did not return.

2012 - Tore his left pectoral muscle again in week 2 against Rams - underwent surgery & placed on IR - missed 14 games.

2013 - Left game 15 with right groin strain - missed last game against Giants with same injury

2014 - Tore his right pectoral muscle in 4th quarter of 7th game against Tennessee- missed remainder of season (9 games missed)

Other than 2005 and 2006 in College and 2009 in Washington - he has missed snaps every year because of injuries - and missed quite a few games as well.

Brian Orakpo played in most of his college games after being red-shirted the first year, but had some injuries his last 2 years. Since being drafted by the Redskins - he has played 6 years of football as the starter - but has only had 1 year where he did not leave a game or miss a game for injury. That was his first year - 2009. Here is a breakdown:

College years:

2004 - Red-shirted

2005 - Played in all 13 games - started in 1

2006 - Played in all 13 games as a starter

2007 - Junior year in College - Missed 4 games due to right knee injury

2008 - Senior year in College - Missed 2nd half of Texas Tech game, all of Baylor game and was sparingly played at Kansas with knee injury

Drafted 2009 by Washington Redskins:

2009 - Played in all 16 games

2010 - Missed Jacksonville game on 12/26 with groin and hamstring injuries. Played in the Giants game after that, but was playing injured.

2011 - Tore his left pectoral muscle in last game against Philadelphia - left in 2nd quarter - did not return.

2012 - Tore his left pectoral muscle again in week 2 against Rams - underwent surgery & placed on IR - missed 14 games.

2013 - Left game 15 with right groin strain - missed last game against Giants with same injury

2014 - Tore his right pectoral muscle in 4th quarter of 7th game against Tennessee- missed remainder of season (9 games missed)

Other than 2005 and 2006 in College and 2009 in Washington - he has missed snaps every year because of injuries - and missed quite a few games as well.

May not even go that route. I see what you mean though.

Guest facelessman07

So if we're willing to pay 7-8 million per year for a player like this (other teams will want him-drives price up), with the injury history, why not pay double for a guy that has NO injury history and hasn't missed a game in 4 years??

I don't feel like having to hold my breath every time he hits the turf

SUH SMASH!

@NBCdianna: Redskins and Brian Orakpo had been working on a long term contract extension, told "it's not looking good" Falcons are very interested.

Dianna has pretty much been spot on this offseason with her reporting. I wouldn't mind signing him to a deal so long as the guarantee money isn't ridiculous. Can't be worse than Biermann and Umenyiora who was making over 8M dollars combined last year w/o anything to show for it.