Florio: Falcons Going After Orakpo

Really? Based on what?

It's arguments like these that annoy me. It's not a single fact behind it. He tore both his pecs. Just like Al Horford. Before then, neither player was considered injury prone. Al Horford has made a comeback. Orakpo came back and posted 10 sacks after the first tear. Outside of those two lost years, he's missed two games. Sean Weatherspoon he is not.

No science at all behind what follows.

I already hold my breath everytime Julio gets up slow.Lets just say we do resign Weatherspoon and then we sign Orakpo in free agency.I'm not sure my respiratory system can deal with Julio,Weatherspoon and Orakpo on the same team.I think I would hyperventilate just about every Sunday.

Been telling yall this. Makes sense. We need a SAM. He's the best SAM available. Get him with whoever got Al Horford healthy. He's not injury prone. He's had two freak injuries, which tearing the other pec after tearing the first isn't uncommon. When healthy, he's a 10 sack player. He will come moderately cheap.

Orakpo at SAM, Beasley at WILL?

I already hold my breath everytime Julio gets up slow.Lets just say we do resign Weatherspoon and then we sign Orakpo in free agency.I'm not sure my respiratory system can deal with Julio,Weatherspoon and Orakpo on the same team.I think I would hyperventilate just about every Sunday.

If they stop the half measures and sign multiple pass rushers, you won't have that problem.

But that's why you have to treat it as a "nice to have him, not dead without him" type of move if you're Quinn and TD and structure the contract accordingly. We'd all love him if he stays healthy. I mean look at this place's infatuation for mediocre Lowery.

I hear what you're saying man. I really hear what you're saying and I dig it. Two things though. No 100% he is our SAM and no 100% we dip into FA for another DE.

You have to give significance to the fact that he has torn his left pectoral 2 times and his right pectoral this past season as well as dislocating his middle finger (not a big deal though). I don't know many athletes with 3 torn pecs. To me that seems like a big deal.

What kind of contract would you offer him?

Al Horford tore his pec back to back. Nobody wants to talk about that. The guy is back to dominating down in the post. The guy is a beast. He came back from the first two with no problem. That's 2 out of 3.

I'd give him a 2 year deal. 2 year $10MM. A little less than the two year deal Avril signed with SEA for, but leave the door wide open for a long term deal. Or I'd offer a 5yr/$30MM with little guaranteed money. The contract is the easy part. Look at Paul Soliai's deal. His and TJax deals were basically two year deals.

I don't worry about injuries. The reason we were deathly afraid of them before is because our coaches didn't develop depth. Look at when Julio and Roddy were down. We had to re-sign Darius Johnson, who was cut because he didn't play ST. I doubt Quinn thinks the same way.

I hear what you're saying man. I really hear what you're saying and I dig it. Two things though. No 100% he is our SAM and no 100% we dip into FA for another DE.

I think we do. We don't have anything at the position anymore. It's Maponga and Starr. If we lose a pick, we don't have enough picks to address everything and pass rush has been the most pressing since we all were born.

I think he's our SAM because he can stand up and cover and be stout at the point. Plus, if we end up getting a guy like Shane Ray, he has to be the SAM because Ray isn't.

I get what everyone is saying about the injury thing .... The seahawks hit gold taking there chance on Cliff Avril (plantar fascia) and Michael Bennett (torn rotators cuff) ... He recruit those guys to seattle... Got both cheap and they hit gold.

Coach Quinn just see talent ... The same with Spoon... Yes you are taking a chance but if you hit on a TALENTED guy with a injury ... That could be big and very team friendly (very affordable for a talented guy)

So its a risk reward thing .... Just depends on how you see it

I think we do. We don't have anything at the position anymore. It's Maponga and Starr. If we lose a pick, we don't have enough picks to address everything and pass rush has been the most pressing since we all were born.

I think he's our SAM because he can stand up and cover and be stout at the point. Plus, if we end up getting a guy like Shane Ray, he has to be the SAM because Ray isn't.

Bro...there are guys all in this FA who haven't had significant issues. I'm just saying. Sounds like too much like rolling dice. IF we sign him, I for one hopes he works out. Love the guy. Just not wanting to fear that IR mess.

Al Horford tore his pec back to back. Nobody wants to talk about that. The guy is back to dominating down in the post. The guy is a beast. He came back from the first two with no problem. That's 2 out of 3.

I'd give him a 2 year deal. 2 year $10MM. A little less than the two year deal Avril signed with SEA for, but leave the door wide open for a long term deal. Or I'd offer a 5yr/$30MM with little guaranteed money. The contract is the easy part. Look at Paul Soliai's deal. His and TJax deals were basically two year deals.

I don't worry about injuries. The reason we were deathly afraid of them before is because our coaches didn't develop depth. Look at when Julio and Roddy were down. We had to re-sign Darius Johnson, who was cut because he didn't play ST. I doubt Quinn thinks the same way.

You're absolutely correct but I don't see how they can save my respiratory system in one year.Building the kind of depth you're talking about generally takes 2 at minimum.I think I'll just work on my cardio until that point.

I get what everyone is saying about the injury thing .... The seahawks hit gold taking there chance on Cliff Avril (plantar fascia) and Michael Bennett (torn rotators cuff) ... He recruit those guys to seattle... Got both cheap and they hit gold.

Coach Quinn just see talent ... The same with Spoon... Yes you are taking a chance but if you hit on a TALENTED guy with a injury ... That could be big and very team friendly (very affordable for a talented guy)

So its a risk reward thing .... Just depends on how you see it

atljbo,

I will tell you how I see it and most of Falcons messageboard:

Sam Baker - walking IR report (1st rd pick)

Sean Weatherspoon - walking IR report (1st rd pick)

Peria Jerry - tore ACL rookie yr was never the same (oh yeah, 1st rd pick)

Julio Jones (stud player - misses too many games 1st rd pick)

Mike Johnson (3rd rd pick who litterally cannot stay healthy for one game)

Brent Grimes (we sign him to franchise tag and he rips achilles)

Surely you understand, given Falcon players' propensity for injury why we would not want to invest major cap dollars in Brian Orakpo with his lengthy injury history, right?

atljbo,

I will tell you how I see it and most of Falcons messageboard:

Sam Baker - walking IR report (1st rd pick)

Sean Weatherspoon - walking IR report (1st rd pick)

Peria Jerry - tore ACL rookie yr was never the same (oh yeah, 1st rd pick)

Julio Jones (stud player - misses too many games 1st rd pick)

Mike Johnson (3rd rd pick who litterally cannot stay healthy for one game)

Brent Grimes (we sign him to franchise tag and he rips achilles)

Surely you understand, given Falcon players' propensity for injury why we would not want to invest major cap dollars in Brian Orakpo with his lengthy injury history, right?

I get it .... I get it 100% ... Ill say this... Orakpo has played in the NFL 6 seasons.... He has played in atleast 15 games 4 of those seasons... He has missed most of the seasons in 2 injury injury seasons.

I cant lie i thought his history was in reverse of that .. 2 or 3 healthy seasons out of 6 before checking before i heard about him as a possibility.

Back to your... I get it ... If you get a player with an injury.. Its a risk ... but in my mind if the risk is worth the reward... I truely dont look at our history ,,, I look at the player by player situation...

Lowery had a injury history but he came in and played good for us ..... The reward justified the risk

Thats like a shooter in a slump... You dont stop shooting because you are in a slump ... You shoot your self out of the slump ... Dont take bad shots but **** dont be afraid to take a good shot because you have missed.

Its just like i hear ppl say .... Oh that guy is the next Ray Edwards when Hughes game is the total opposite of Edwards game ... But because we got fked over by a guy who played with good players on the same line .... Hughes play with talented guys on the same line ... Therefore they are the same

To me it just depends on the situation in my eyes.... I get ppl concern with the injury thing tho.... I do

Im not sitting here saying an guy with an injury history is my first choice... But if the risk reward for a talented rusher (which we dont have) is at a good price (which will allow us to do more in FA... add another good rusher) ... I get taking that chance

I get it .... I get it 100% ... Ill say this... Orakpo has played in the NFL 6 seasons.... He has played in atleast 15 games 4 of those seasons... He has missed most of the seasons in 2 injury injury seasons.

I cant lie i thought his history was in reverse of that .. 2 or 3 healthy seasons out of 6 before checking before i heard about him as a possibility.

Back to your... I get it ... If you get a player with an injury.. Its a risk ... but in my mind if the risk is worth the reward... I truely dont look at our history ,,, I look at the player by player situation...

Lowery had a injury history but he came in and played good for us ..... The reward justified the risk

Thats like a shooter in a slump... You dont stop shooting because you are in a slump ... You shoot your self out of the slump ... Dont take bad shots but **** dont be afraid to take a good shot because you have missed.

Its just like i hear ppl say .... Oh that guy is the next Ray Edwards when Hughes game is the total opposite of Edwards game ... But because we got fked over by a guy who played with good players on the same line .... Hughes play with talented guys on the same line ... Therefore they are the same

To me it just depends on the situation in my eyes.... I get ppl concern with the injury thing tho.... I do

I was about to give you a plus one...but then I saw Lowery.

NOPE!!! I retract all ALL negative statements about Brian Orakpo. Bring him home. Something was brought to my attention. He only has one injured season. The truth will come out soon enough. Orakpo isn't as injury proned as stated. He's ready to play from what I understand and is in good shape.

He has Kyle Shanahan's seal of approval. This was a serious joint affair and its a good move if worked. It won't be super cheap, but not expensive either. Its a great move.

Quinn is a mad scientist. Kyle isn't compared to Kubiak and his dad. Most compare him to Billick, because he is a DEFENSIVE minded OC. Yes, a defensive minded OC. I am thrilled at this point. Don't believe the narrative of Orakpo's injuries like I did. He is good to go.

NOPE!!! I retract all ALL negative statements about Brian Orakpo. Bring him home. Something was brought to my attention. He only has one injured season. The truth will come out soon enough. Orakpo isn't as injury proned as stated. He's ready to play from what I understand and is in good shape.

He has Kyle Shanahan's seal of approval. This was a serious joint affair and its a good move if worked. It won't be super cheap, but not expensive either. Its a great move.

Quinn is a mad scientist. Kyle isn't compared to Kubiak and his dad. Most compare him to Billick, because he is a DEFENSIVE minded OC. Yes, a defensive minded OC. I am thrilled at this point. Don't believe the narrative of Orakpo's injuries like I did. He is good to go.

I don't even......

Guest facelessman07

Either someone hacked your account or you had a convo with your sources...