Florio: Falcons Going After Orakpo

Almost every NFL player is approaching 30 after their rookie contract and maybe a franchise tag. I think we need to get beyond this age thing.

simply not true. most rookies are 26 or 27 yrs old coming off rookie contract depending on birthdates in the year and if they came out as junior/senior or redshirted, etc.

Orakpo will be 29 before he starts the season. If an average career for an upper-end Defensive Passrusher is 10 years - and the peak years are Years#3-8 - then we are maybe only getting 1-2 years of a free agent like Orakpo at his peak instead of 3-4 years - that is a big difference.

simply not true. most rookies are 26 or 27 yrs old coming off rookie contract depending on birthdates in the year and if they came out as junior/senior or redshirted, etc.

Orakpo will be 29 before he starts the season. If an average career for an upper-end Defensive Passrusher is 10 years - and the peak years are Years#3-8 - then we are maybe only getting 1-2 years of a free agent like Orakpo at his peak instead of 3-4 years - that is a big difference.

What is your definition of approaching 30 then?

I said coming off of their rookie contract and adding a franchise tag.

We're talking 27 - 29 years old.

I commend you though. If you don't like a particular player, then you initially form that opinion and THEN you do a good job of applying some sort of logic to it.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

Eh. Linebackers and DL usually last into their early/mid-30s playing at a pretty high level, especially if they're talented. I'm not sure I'd like Orakpo, so don't interpret this as me encouraging it, but the big 3-0 is usually only a big deal for RBs in comparison to other positions. Think Orakpo on a 3 year deal while his value is at its lowest isn't the worst idea, especially if the contract is loaded with incentives.