Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maltese Falcon

Florio: Falcons Going After Orakpo

254 posts in this topic

Give me Orakpo, Sheard and I'll take Schofield at this point. Then use the #8 on another pass rusher.

Yall are acting like you can't structure Orakpo's contract just like the 5yr/$30MM contract Anthony Collins got from the Bucs. Collins got $9MM guaranteed on essentially a one year deal. The Bucs are already in the money on that contract, which is why they are trying to move him. I'd easily offer Orakpo the same thing. Cheaper than the average Cliff Avril got with the Seahawks but gives him longevity if he stays healthy.

^^^^^This.

While Orakpo is not OLD yet by NFL standards (29 for 2015 season) - he is not YOUNG either. Just as Dean Woermer told Flounder "Fat, Drunk & Stupid is no way to go through life, son" - I'm telling you that "Old, injured and declining" is no way for TD to continue to sign free agents.

This is idiotic to pursue a player whose INJURIES have been at the back-end of his 6yr NFL career - we are not talking about a guy that was injured early in his career and healthy the last 3 years - au contraire - he has missed 33-of-his-last-48 games. I don't know what "new information" my good buddy KOG has come across - but it is faulty info.

Also, when healthy, Orakpo averages about 1/2 sack per game - so Orakpo's UPSIDE when he was healthy was 8 sacks/yr.

Suckers bet is paying a guy for his past performance when his future performance is not likely to be anywhere near is good. Recent history tells us this guy is going to play about 1/2 of the games each year (over 4 year period) - so we get 8 healthy games a year and about 4 sacks/yr.

Even if you think Orakpo's injuries are behind him, his upside when he was younger and played was 8 sacks/yr - he is not likely to match those numbers again.

You guys want to pay this guy $6mm+/yr? really?

In this pass-rush starved market, it might take more to sign him - let's say it takes 5yrs, $35mm with $14mm guaranteed - for an average of $7mm/season.

c'monnnnnnnn man.

G Dawg I hope you work in sales because you are missing your calling. What are your thoughts on John Abraham pre-Atlanta? Same situation. Not saying Orakpo is the better player, just the injury situations. What happened once Abe got here?

When healthy, don't water down Orakpo's stats. The man never had less than 8.5 sacks when healthy, so how is that his "upside"? That's worse case. The man averaged closer to 10 sacks a year than 8.

But you concocted a pretty convincing story for those who don't do their own work and take your word for it. I gotta give it to you. I really hope you are in sales because man you are missing out on making a killing. You don't have to like or want the guy, but you don't have to embellish to prove your point.

^^^^^This.

While Orakpo is not OLD yet by NFL standards (29 for 2015 season) - he is not YOUNG either. Just as Dean Woermer told Flounder "Fat, Drunk & Stupid is no way to go through life, son" - I'm telling you that "Old, injured and declining" is no way for TD to continue to sign free agents.

This is idiotic to pursue a player whose INJURIES have been at the back-end of his 6yr NFL career - we are not talking about a guy that was injured early in his career and healthy the last 3 years - au contraire - he has missed 33-of-his-last-48 games. I don't know what "new information" my good buddy KOG has come across - but it is faulty info.

Also, when healthy, Orakpo averages about 1/2 sack per game - so Orakpo's UPSIDE when he was healthy was 8 sacks/yr.

Suckers bet is paying a guy for his past performance when his future performance is not likely to be anywhere near is good. Recent history tells us this guy is going to play about 1/2 of the games each year (over 4 year period) - so we get 8 healthy games a year and about 4 sacks/yr.

Even if you think Orakpo's injuries are behind him, his upside when he was younger and played was 8 sacks/yr - he is not likely to match those numbers again.

You guys want to pay this guy $6mm+/yr? really?

In this pass-rush starved market, it might take more to sign him - let's say it takes 5yrs, $35mm with $14mm guaranteed - for an average of $7mm/season.

c'monnnnnnnn man.

"I don't know what new information KOG has but it's a faulty one"

Hahahahah you just admitted to not knowing what it is but yet you called it faulty. How does that work?

You made valid points but knowing what I know I don't count last year personally.

What's his sack average prior to last year tho?

"I don't know what new information KOG has but it's a faulty one"

Hahahahah you just admitted to not knowing what it is but yet you called it faulty. How does that work?

You made valid points but knowing what I know I don't count last year personally.

What's his sack average prior to last year tho?

When healthy, he's posted 11, 9, 8.5, and 10 sacks. That's 38.5 sacks in 4 years. 9.625 per year.

Brian Orakpo played in most of his college games after being red-shirted the first year, but had some injuries his last 2 years. Since being drafted by the Redskins - he has played 6 years of football as the starter - but has only had 1 year where he did not leave a game or miss a game for injury. That was his first year - 2009. Here is a breakdown:

College years:

2004 - Red-shirted

2005 - Played in all 13 games - started in 1

2006 - Played in all 13 games as a starter

2007 - Junior year in College - Missed 4 games due to right knee injury

2008 - Senior year in College - Missed 2nd half of Texas Tech game, all of Baylor game and was sparingly played at Kansas with knee injury

Drafted 2009 by Washington Redskins:

2009 - Played in all 16 games

2010 - Missed Jacksonville game on 12/26 with groin and hamstring injuries. Played in the Giants game after that, but was playing injured.

2011 - Tore his left pectoral muscle in last game against Philadelphia - left in 2nd quarter - did not return.

2012 - Tore his left pectoral muscle again in week 2 against Rams - underwent surgery & placed on IR - missed 14 games.

2013 - Left game 15 with right groin strain - missed last game against Giants with same injury

2014 - Tore his right pectoral muscle in 4th quarter of 7th game against Tennessee- missed remainder of season (9 games missed)

Other than 2005 and 2006 in College and 2009 in Washington - he has missed snaps every year because of injuries - and missed quite a few games as well.

Listed like you did, and not knowing his name and ability, I'd say either pass on the guy or give him a 1 year prove it deal while ensuring we had depth to cover his production missed.

Wow! 3 pectoral injuries!

He's cheap and he has the potential to be a big playmaker. What's the issue again?

His cheapness compared to his big play making ability...assuming he stays healthy. That's my issue.

We cutting players to save cap and want to sign a (health) suspect player? Not with that.

You guys are hilarious.... I mean REALLY hilarious.

Pay attention:

Games Played:

2009 - 16 (11 Sacks)

2010 - 15 (8.5 Sacks)

2011 - 16 (9 Sacks)

2012 - 2 (1 Sack)

2013 - 15 (10 Sacks)

2014 - 7 (0.5 Sacks)

There is some injury history. But it's being overplayed. He's still played in 15+ games 4 out of 6 seasons. People just have a hard time thinking for themselves and instead just go with whatever some other guys say. That's not good when the guys you're listening to doesn't know what he's talking about.

These guys are asking for Brandon Graham who has 17 career sacks! Or Jabaal Sheard who has never had more than 8.5 a season. But don't want this guy on a cheap deal due specifically to his injury (Cause there is no way in h3!! that he'd go for under 10 mil if he were healthy)? You'll end up paying more for these guys health and less for their impact on the field. Orakpo when healthy is a dominant pass rusher. He has been off all year to get healthy. He's not that old and can be had for a deal. Most likely less than several guys on the market.

Makes no sense to me at all. Bring him in on a cheap 2-3 year incentivised deal and he'll shine. Guaranteed. Lol....I mean IMO

mdrake34, virginiafalcon and vel like this

Pay attention:

Games Played:

2009 - 16 (11 Sacks)

2010 - 15 (8.5 Sacks)

2011 - 16 (9 Sacks)

2012 - 2 (1 Sack)

2013 - 15 (10 Sacks)

2014 - 7 (0.5 Sacks)

There is some injury history. But it's being overplayed. He's still played in 15+ games 4 out of 6 seasons. People just have a hard time thinking for themselves and instead just go with whatever some other guys say. That's not good when the guys you're listening to doesn't know what he's talking about.

These guys are asking for Brandon Graham who has 17 career sacks! Or Jabaal Sheard who has never had more than 8.5 a season. But don't want this guy on a cheap deal due specifically to his injury (Cause there is no way in h3!! that he'd go for under 10 mil if he were healthy)? You'll end up paying more for these guys health and less for their impact on the field. Orakpo when healthy is a dominant pass rusher. He has been off all year to get healthy. He's not that old and can be had for a deal. Most likely less than several guys on the market.

Makes no sense to me at all. Bring him in on a cheap 2-3 year incentivised deal and he'll shine. Guaranteed. Lol....I mean IMO

I personally find Graham madly overrated on this board. And Sheard is just a guy. Ok player. But orakpo while studly when healthy is still a huge risk. 2 of the last 3 seasons he's been on IR for the majority of the season for the same type injury. This true or not?

That said he's a great player healthy. I have no clue if the pectoral injuries are a long term debilitating thing or not. But, it's not unrealistic to be wary of such a guy.

But in the vein of thinking for oneself..I agree he's heads and shoulders above sheard and Graham if healthy.

But if you forgo orakpo for injury concerns, consider McPhee, Graham and sheard as ok options but not difference makers..you're back to looking at a play at one of the elite that were franchised or at the mercy of the draft.

John Abraham only played 3 full seasons out of 6 with the Jets, (2 of which he missed more than 8 games. He missed half his first season with the Falcons). I don't think anyone looks back as saying McKay made a mistake for getting Abe, and we actually lost a first rounder for him.

If we get Orakpo at a reasonable contract, I don't have an issue with it. He's an injury risk, but if we draft a stud with our first pick, and maximize Maponga and Goodman's ability, it could still be a nice pickup even if he does miss a few games.

mdrake34 and virginiafalcon like this

I personally find Graham madly overrated on this board. And Sheard is just a guy. Ok player. But orakpo while studly when healthy is still a huge risk. 2 of the last 3 seasons he's been on IR for the majority of the season for the same type injury. This true or not?

That said he's a great player healthy. I have no clue if the pectoral injuries are a long term debilitating thing or not. But, it's not unrealistic to be wary of such a guy.

But in the vein of thinking for oneself..I agree he's heads and shoulders above sheard and Graham if healthy.

But if you forgo orakpo for injury concerns, consider McPhee, Graham and sheard as ok options but not difference makers..you're back to looking at a play at one of the elite that were franchised or at the mercy of the draft.

@MSalmon, that's all I'm saying. Folks hear "Injury Risk" and are immediately turned off. Yes he is a risk. But so is Julio. Bet you folks wouldn't say not to resign him and go after another big name WR.

Think on this,

-John Abraham missed 23 games from 03 - 06 and after that first year here, he went on to only miss 2 games in the next 7 seasons. If we followed the logic some folks are saying here we wouldn't have missed out on some of the best years The Predator had to offer. Orakpo is in an almost IDENTICAL situation.

vel and MSalmon like this

G Dawg I hope you work in sales because you are missing your calling. What are your thoughts on John Abraham pre-Atlanta? Same situation. Not saying Orakpo is the better player, just the injury situations. What happened once Abe got here?

When healthy, don't water down Orakpo's stats. The man never had less than 8.5 sacks when healthy, so how is that his "upside"? That's worse case. The man averaged closer to 10 sacks a year than 8.

But you concocted a pretty convincing story for those who don't do their own work and take your word for it. I gotta give it to you. I really hope you are in sales because man you are missing out on making a killing. You don't have to like or want the guy, but you don't have to embellish to prove your point.

Pay attention:

Games Played:

2009 - 16 (11 Sacks)

2010 - 15 (8.5 Sacks)

2011 - 16 (9 Sacks)

2012 - 2 (1 Sack)

2013 - 15 (10 Sacks)

2014 - 7 (0.5 Sacks)

I find your take distorted as well MD Falcon & vel - MD, you mention "15+ games played in 4-out-of-6 seasons". While that is true, it is ALSO TRUE that Orakpo has missed exactly 1/2 (24 out of last 48) of his games the last three seasons due to injury - in the first three seasons in the NFL, Orakpo was basically injury free and a productive (not great) player and averaged 9.5 sacks in those three years. In the last three years, Orakpo has had one healthy season (where he was productive - 10 sacks) and two injury riddled seasons - Last year, Orakpo was highly unproductive in the almost half season he played (7 games, 0.5 sack). Which is the more likely trend for Orakpo? his first three seasons or his last three seasons? somewhere in the middle?

If you took the average sacks/season over the games played (40/71 = 0.563 sacks/game) and AZZ-UMED this trend would continue, then you would get 9 sacks from a healthy Orakpo that played in a slate full of 16 games. Stats have also showed that Orakpo has averaged playing in 74% of games for which he was eligible to play (71/96). So, strictly looking at averages, you could expect Orakpo to play in 12 games/yr and have about 7 sacks/yr.

Now, if you prescribe to the theory of "Lies, Dayum Lies and Statistics" - I'm OK with that line of thinking - but it cuts both ways.

Plus Side for Orakpo: You could say, when healthy he is averaging 9 sacks/game and I claim that Orakpo will be healthy.

Down Side for Orakpo: Consistently injured the last 3 years and will be 29yrs old - sack numbers will drop as he advances into 30's.

Now, I believe the above analysis to be even-handed and shows both sides of the coin. I don't want to be an optimist nor a pessimist but a realist when it comes to Orakpo - since we don't own him yet - if we sign him, I will lean/hope for the optimist side - but right now I am trying to be objective.

If we signed Orakpo to a 5 year deal, he would be 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 in those 5 years. I would hope he would be more healthy than he has been but I would not project this guy would miss no time at all. I would also expect he would lose some explosion and playmaking ability on the back-end of a 5 year deal. I would project Orakpo would probably average about 13 games/yr and probably about 7 sacks/yr. What is that worth?

I would set Orakpo's real value in production to be worth a 4yr deal (would not go 5) at about $6mm/yr. - would not bid over that. I think this guy will be a disappointment and would rather he be some other teams disappointment. Orakpo is a good player when he is on the field - and he is supposedly healthy now - but philosophically, I just don't like players approaching 30 with significant RECENT injury history.

If Falcons sign Orakpo, it needs to be at a lower price to minimize the risk. I would make it a "pay-go" deal where he could be cut after two years with minimal impact to the cap in dead money.

vel likes this

John Abraham only played 3 full seasons out of 6 with the Jets, (2 of which he missed more than 8 games. He missed half his first season with the Falcons). I don't think anyone looks back as saying McKay made a mistake for getting Abe, and we actually lost a first rounder for him.

If we get Orakpo at a reasonable contract, I don't have an issue with it. He's an injury risk, but if we draft a stud with our first pick, and maximize Maponga and Goodman's ability, it could still be a nice pickup even if he does miss a few games.

Same example I used earlier in response to g dawg. Nobody has a response for Abe. You know why? Because Abe was a Falcon and Orakpo isn't. No objectivity. That's why people want Spoon back but don't want to touch Orakpo.
falconsd56 and paulitik like this

I find your take distorted as well MD Falcon & vel - MD, you mention "15+ games played in 4-out-of-6 seasons". While that is true, it is ALSO TRUE that Orakpo has missed exactly 1/2 (24 out of last 48) of his games the last three seasons due to injury - in the first three seasons in the NFL, Orakpo was basically injury free and a productive (not great) player and averaged 9.5 sacks in those three years. In the last three years, Orakpo has had one healthy season (where he was productive - 10 sacks) and two injury riddled seasons - Last year, Orakpo was highly unproductive in the almost half season he played (7 games, 0.5 sack). Which is the more likely trend for Orakpo? his first three seasons or his last three seasons? somewhere in the middle?

If you took the average sacks/season over the games played (40/71 = 0.563 sacks/game) and AZZ-UMED this trend would continue, then you would get 9 sacks from a healthy Orakpo that played in a slate full of 16 games. Stats have also showed that Orakpo has averaged playing in 74% of games for which he was eligible to play (71/96). So, strictly looking at averages, you could expect Orakpo to play in 12 games/yr and have about 7 sacks/yr.

Now, if you prescribe to the theory of "Lies, Dayum Lies and Statistics" - I'm OK with that line of thinking - but it cuts both ways.

Plus Side for Orakpo: You could say, when healthy he is averaging 9 sacks/game and I claim that Orakpo will be healthy.

Down Side for Orakpo: Consistently injured the last 3 years and will be 29yrs old - sack numbers will drop as he advances into 30's.

Now, I believe the above analysis to be even-handed and shows both sides of the coin. I don't want to be an optimist nor a pessimist but a realist when it comes to Orakpo - since we don't own him yet - if we sign him, I will lean/hope for the optimist side - but right now I am trying to be objective.

If we signed Orakpo to a 5 year deal, he would be 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 in those 5 years. I would hope he would be more healthy than he has been but I would not project this guy would miss no time at all. I would also expect he would lose some explosion and playmaking ability on the back-end of a 5 year deal. I would project Orakpo would probably average about 13 games/yr and probably about 7 sacks/yr. What is that worth?

I would set Orakpo's real value in production to be worth a 4yr deal (would not go 5) at about $6mm/yr. - would not bid over that. I think this guy will be a disappointment and would rather he be some other teams disappointment. Orakpo is a good player when he is on the field - and he is supposedly healthy now - but philosophically, I just don't like players approaching 30 with significant RECENT injury history.

If Falcons sign Orakpo, it needs to be at a lower price to minimize the risk. I would make it a "pay-go" deal where he could be cut after two years with minimal impact to the cap in dead money.

There we go g dawg. This is a post I expect from you.

I fully agree. I'm not saying he isn't an injury risk. He very well is. But you can easily structure his contract to address that. Look at Anthony Collins 5yr/$30MM contract with the Bucs. Same per year average you used and I agree with. Very little guaranteed money. I think Orakpo should know he isn't getting much guaranteed given the risk. Plus, he just made $13MM on the tag last year for less than half a season.

Shoot, I'll give you another player. Brent Grimes. How many people are up in arms we didn't keep Grimes now but were fine letting him walk because they were "scared he'd lose his ability"? Signed 1yr/$5.5MM. I'd offer Orakpo either the 4 or 5 years we agree on and a $6MM average but not guaranteed to give him long term security if healthy and me a way out if he gets hurt.

@MSalmon, that's all I'm saying. Folks hear "Injury Risk" and are immediately turned off. Yes he is a risk. But so is Julio. Bet you folks wouldn't say not to resign him and go after another big name WR.

Think on this,

-John Abraham missed 23 games from 03 - 06 and after that first year here, he went on to only miss 2 games in the next 7 seasons. If we followed the logic some folks are saying here we wouldn't have missed out on some of the best years The Predator had to offer. Orakpo is in an almost IDENTICAL situation.

I hear YA...if he checks out medically I'm all for it...honestly it comes down to lingering effects of pectoral tears..I can't find a pass rusher that's had so many..could be nothing and he's "cured." He's a definitely great pass rusher...

There we go g dawg. This is a post I expect from you.

I fully agree. I'm not saying he isn't an injury risk. He very well is. But you can easily structure his contract to address that. Look at Anthony Collins 5yr/$30MM contract with the Bucs. Same per year average you used and I agree with. Very little guaranteed money. I think Orakpo should know he isn't getting much guaranteed given the risk. Plus, he just made $13MM on the tag last year for less than half a season.

Shoot, I'll give you another player. Brent Grimes. How many people are up in arms we didn't keep Grimes now but were fine letting him walk because they were "scared he'd lose his ability"? Signed 1yr/$5.5MM. I'd offer Orakpo either the 4 or 5 years we agree on and a $6MM average but not guaranteed to give him long term security if healthy and me a way out if he gets hurt.

yep, I agree. I still honestly don't want him, but if Dan Quinn wants him, who am I to say otherwise? the only thing that bothers me there is my "anti-Dimitroff" feelings in that TD sucks picking free agents and Falcons were said to be in on Orakpo last year before he was franchised.

I just think Orakpo has a high probabilty of continuing his injury history and I just hate chronically injured players (this means you Mr. Baker and Mr. Spoon). If there is minimal guaranteed money then I am fine w/ it and will hope for 10 sack seasons from Orakpo. If we get Orakpo though, I want another guy as well - maybe Derrick Morgan and then draft Beasley. We need numbers at passrush positions.

What up G,

In agreement with alot of your points. As we both stated, he is a risk. Think about it, you'd be talking paying 12 mil for any sure thing on the market. You aren't gonna get a sure thing without breaking the bank.

But given our situation of wanting to save some money, we have ourselves a perfect candidate to sign. Productive player when healthy with injury concerns is about the best we can hope for at our price range. Or we can go the Ray Edwards route and get guys that were rotational and ask them to start and be your defensive stud. (McPhee, Graham, Sheard)

Personally, I've seen more success bringing in guys that had injuries and hoping they stay healthy rather than paying for rotational/back-up. My play would be Hughes and Orakpo with Ray/Beasley/Gregory in the draft.

Vel,

Great point about Brent Grimes. Folks were cursing his name when he left. Wonder how many now wish we would have kept him?

g-dawg likes this

What up G,

In agreement with alot of your points. As we both stated, he is a risk. Think about it, you'd be talking paying 12 mil for any sure thing on the market. You aren't gonna get a sure thing without breaking the bank.

But given our situation of wanting to save some money, we have ourselves a perfect candidate to sign. Productive player when healthy with injury concerns is about the best we can hope for at our price range. Or we can go the Ray Edwards route and get guys that were rotational and ask them to start and be your defensive stud. (McPhee, Graham, Sheard)

Personally, I've seen more success bringing in guys that had injuries and hoping they stay healthy rather than paying for rotational/back-up. My play would be Hughes and Orakpo with Ray/Beasley/Gregory in the draft.

If we're truly objective and thinking outside the box, I'm signing Houston to a tender, forcing KC to nutt up and either sign him or deal for this years picks vs the two firsts. Or just give this years first and next years with a big smile on my face. And signing schoffied for depth and orakpo..no more mincing around with average guys and prospects we hope pan out. I'd also draft a Nate orchid or Preston smith type that we could develop. . With the stud Houston and a hopefully healthy orakpo were gtg for a while

If we're truly objective and thinking outside the box, I'm signing Houston to a tender, forcing KC to nutt up and either sign him or deal for this years picks vs the two firsts. Or just give this years first and next years with a big smile on my face. And signing schoffied for depth and orakpo..no more mincing around with average guys and prospects we hope pan out. I'd also draft a Nate orchid or Preston smith type that we could develop. . With the stud Houston and a hopefully healthy orakpo were gtg for a while

Getting our hands on Houston would be a coup. Nobody will one in as a rookie and give you what Houston does. But that's alot of salary to kick out.

Getting our hands on Houston would be a coup. Nobody will one in as a rookie and give you what Houston does. But that's alot of salary to kick out.

Agree. And it'd be expensive but,.lthrow the UGA homer crapola out the window..he's a 26 year old proven edge guy...if orakpo signed reasonably as well panned out...boy we'd be tough a few years