Rhonda Rousey - Greatest Ufc Fighter That Has Ever Lived.

Rousey is not overweight at 145. Her "walk around" weight is 160 and she competed in the Olympics in Judo at 154. Rousey could easily fight at 145 which would in fact be closer to her natural weight.

The fact that the UFC doesn't have a 145 division is pretty absurd since 145 was by far the most popular women's division before the UFC got into the women's MMA business (see: Gina Carano, Cyborg, etc...).

Overweight for a fight is much different than walking around weight. Fighters train for months to get to their ideal fighting weight. Rousey is not nearly as cut as Cyborg even fighting at 135lbs. Pacquiao walked around at 155lbs when he fought at 130, and he's not overweight at 155, but he would be overweight and destroyed fighting at that weight if he was in walking around shape. If you don't understand this concept, there's really nothing to further discuss.

Rousey fought at other weights, but as I said, those weren't at her ideal fighting weight for a cage fight.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, the UFC owns Invicta so they own the rights to Cyborg. The UFC can easily make a 145 division and import whatever 145 Invicta fighters they want to, they could do it today if they wanted to.

It's a little more than just snapping your fingers and making an entire new weight division. That's an entire new division that they would have to provide space on their cards for. It's not quite that simple.

Overweight for a fight is much different than walking around weight. Fighters train for months to get to their ideal fighting weight. Rousey is not nearly as cut as Cyborg even fighting at 135lbs. Pacquiao walked around at 155lbs when he fought at 130, and he's not overweight at 155, but he would be overweight and destroyed fighting at that weight if he was in walking around shape. If you don't understand this concept, there's really nothing to further discuss.

Rousey fought at other weights, but as I said, those weren't at her ideal fighting weight for a cage fight.

And weight in a judo match is not nearly as important as weight in a UFC match where striking and stamina are more important. Like a lot of things, SB just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Maybe BJJ specifically, but not grappling generally. Rousey is an Olympic medalist in Judo and (again) has demonstrated superior grappling skills in actual MMA fights. Cyborg has shown good defense as a way to set up striking, but has not shown actual submission skills in her MMA fights.

I don't understand how anyone can say that Cyborg is the superior grappler.

Cyborg trains with the UFC Heavyweight champion in BJJ. That martial arts is 100% grappling. She would be able to hold her own in grappling. Not saying she is better be she isn't a slouch

Wrong again. They just did it with the strawweight division doing exactly what I said. They simply imported their Invicta Strawweight fighters and voila, a new UFC strawweight division.

And it was something that was deliberated and researched. In fact, 115 has more skilled fighters from top to bottom than 135 does. I don't think that 145 has very many skilled fighters that people would want to see other than Cyborg. They aren't making a third women's division just for her. Not when that's why they bought Invicta to begin with.

There are many good 145 fighters, Cyborg has just dominated all of the top contenders. You're really reaching on the excuses there.

That's like saying there's nobody in the 135 division besides Rousey because she's beaten the top contenders.

So why would UFC want to buy into another division that has already been cleaned out?

Cyborg trains with the UFC Heavyweight champion in BJJ. That martial arts is 100% grappling. She would be able to hold her own in grappling. Not saying she is better be she isn't a slouch

I think you are misreading this thread. Nobody said she was a slouch. But SB has been implying that she is "world class" while Ronda Rousey is just some arm bar one-trick pony. IOW, nobody has been saying that Cyborg doesn't know BJJ. But SB has been saying that Cyborg is far and away the superior grappler.

I've seen nothing in Cyborg's fights or background to support SB's claim.

Another interesting tidbit. Since Cyborg couldn't get Rousey to do a catch weight fight Cyborg said in an interview she had a deal with Meisha Tate to do a fight at 140. Meisha Tate was arguably Rousey's toughest competition. If Cyborg got that fight and destroyed Meisha Tate the calls for Rousey vs Cyborg would be louder than ever.

Then all of the sudden Rousey and the UFC announce Rousey vs Tate 3 effectively blocking the Cyborg vs Tate fight. Coincidence? Nope.

Can you point me to a link stating that a deal for a fight was made? Because so far all I see are quotes from both saying that they would be open to a possible fight. That's a far cry from a "deal" being in place.

I think you are misreading this thread. Nobody said she was a slouch. But SB has been implying that she is "world class" while Ronda Rousey is just some arm bar one-trick pony. IOW, nobody has been saying that Cyborg doesn't know BJJ. But SB has been saying that Cyborg is far and away the superior grappler.

I've seen nothing in Cyborg's fights or background to support SB's claim.

Steve is saying Cyborg is a world class BJJ fighter cause she has won 2 world championships in BJJ. I think Ronda has a high level BJJ too. But she isn't a BJJ world champion like Cyborg

There is nothing in that article that states that a deal was in place. It was just both saying that they would be open to the idea.

If we're going to keep discussing this, Steve I'm going to have to ask you to stop making things up.

Steve is saying Cyborg is a world class BJJ fighter cause she has won 2 world championships in BJJ. I think Ronda has a high level BJJ too. But she isn't a BJJ world champion like Cyborg

No, Steve went further by saying that Cyborg was clearly superior at grappling than Rousey.

Also, Rousey is an Olympic medalist in Judo. Steve seems to think that Judo is just about hip throws. He doesn't seem to understand that submissions and grappling are part of Judo, as well.

Nothing in Cyborg's fights demonstrates that she is a better grappler than Rousey. In fact, all of the videos that Steve posted point to the opposite conclusion - she is good at grappling defense but is not interested (nor skilled) enough to end matches with submissions.

And Cyborg has certainly never shown the technical grappling skills that Rousey has shown in several of her fights, most notably that 14 second arm bar submission.

There is nothing in that article that states that a deal was in place. It was just both saying that they would be open to the idea.

If we're going to keep discussing this, Steve I'm going to have to ask you to stop making things up.

That's like asking the rain to stop being wet or the sun to stop being hot. I think making things up is hardwired into his DNA.

Here's how I see the tale of the tape between those 2:

Striking: Cyborg (world class striker)

Clinch: Rousey (world class judo skills)

Ground: Cyborg (world class BJJ skills)

Power: Cyborg

Killer Instinct: Wash... They both go for the quick kill and try to finish fights early.

Winner: Probably Cyborg unless she gets caught in an arm bar. If Cyborg gets a clean punch on Rousey, Rousey will be rocked. She's never been hit like Cyborg hits.

Yeah, Steve was totally not saying Cyborg has the better grappling skills. Obviously not. Nope. Not. at. all. rolleyes.gif

I'm not rehashing this whole stupid argument about Cyborg's supposed superior grappling skills. You can read the original argument here:

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4024050-rhonda-rousey-greatest-ufc-fighter-that-has-ever-lived/?p=9211780

Point being that Rousey has submitted people with black belts in BJJ and traditional jiu jitsu...easily. Cyborg has never submitted anyone. All she has shown is good escape. To say she has the advantage in grappling is stupid.

And Rousey has ended fights with striking and submissions. Cyborg has only ended fights with striking. To say that Cyborg is the more well-rounded fighter is stupid.

There is no evidence to support either of those claims.

A deal was reached in principle. Better?

Then Rousey blocked that fight by wanting to do Rousey vs Tate yet again.

Rousey knows that if Cyborg demolished Tate then people would be screaming for her to fight Cyborg at 140 (like Tate had agreed to do).

As a side note, before the whole Cyborg/Rousey business, Tate was wanting to move to the Invicta 125 pound division where she has a legit shot at being the champ.

There wasn't even principles of a deal. It was just quotes from the two of them answering a question about fighting each other. That stretches the term "deal" past it's breaking point.

Rousey is not overweight at 145. Her "walk around" weight is 160 and she competed in the Olympics in Judo at 154. Rousey could easily fight at 145 which would in fact be closer to her natural weight.

The fact that the UFC doesn't have a 145 division is pretty absurd since 145 was by far the most popular women's division before the UFC got into the women's MMA business (see: Gina Carano, Cyborg, etc...).

This is so dumb.

Jonny Hendricks "walk around" weight is 220 maybe 200...is he supposed to be able to jump in the heavy weight-light heavy weight division and take care of business?

And in the interest of full disclosure, Cyborg's Gold Medals at the IBJJF World Championships were in the purple belt division. She didn't have to beat any black belts to win them.

Belt color doesn't mean anything. Purple belt is "world class BJJ" but a person with both a black belt in both BJJ and traditional jiu jitsu is a "can". Those black belt scrubs that Rousey fights are nothing compared to the purple belt BJJ grand mastery that is Cyborg.

Or at least, that's SB logic.

We talked about this earlier in the thread. One of the opponents Cyborg beat in that tournament went on to win the black belt tournament a year or two after.

Black belt does not mean better skill in a competition. Black belt just means you've been doing it longer and probably know a few more techniques.

A lower belt can and will beat a higher belt if they are a better athlete with better instincts. Happens all the time.

But it does mean that she didn't compete at the highest division in that tournament. Which is why you neglected to mention that the gold medals were in the purple belt division every time you mentioned them.