Rhonda Rousey - Greatest Ufc Fighter That Has Ever Lived.

Yeah she can cut the weight. But not without sacrificing her strength and cardio and possibly not making the 135 limit. Anthony Johnson use to cut to 175 and he looked weak. And he missed the weight on multiple occasions. Which is why he was cut from the UFC. But look at him at 205. Daniel Cromier almost died by trying to cut to 205 a couple years ago. You making it seem like this is no big deal. Cutting 40 pounds is a huge deal. She physically might not be able to do it

I think that it's more than likely that she can't do it.

We're talking about someone who walks around at nearly 180. Cutting to 135 is very, very difficult. And it won't get any easier as she gets older. My thought is that if she could get to 135,she would have done it by now and gotten paid.

But that by no means makes it Rousey's responsibility to go meet her at Cyborg's weight class. She can either make the weight or she can't because I promise you that the UFC is not going to sign off on a catchweight fight.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think it will never happen. Dana White doesn't want Cyborg anywhere near a UFC championship. She's ugly and doesn't speak good English. Rousey is far more marketable. White's not gonna make the same mistake as Strikeforce and let Cyborg beat up their most popular fighter. The fight will probably never happen. Rousey will retire undefeated having never fought the one opponent most likely to take her out and talk smack about it the entire time. It is what it is... Here's a history lesson for those that don't know the whole story.

• 2006: Gina Carano begins her MMA career and goes undefeated for 7 matches. Being televised on Showtime a few times she becomes the face of women's MMA and very popular.
  • 2009: The Strikeforce women's 145 pound division is created. Strikeforce is able to sign the 2 best female MMA fighters and have them fight for the new title. Cyborg beats up Carano in the 1st round becoming the first Strikeforce women's champ (at 145). Women's MMA becomes much less popular after Carano is beat and retires.
  • 2011: Ronda Rousey signs with Stirkeforce and starts fighting in the 145 pound division.
  • 2011: After going undefeated thus far and winning 2 Strikeforce matches, Rousey becomes a top contender in the 145 division. However, instead of taking on Cyborg for the 145 title she drops to the 135 pound division and defeats Meisha Tate for that title.
  • 2012: Strikeforce is no more. UFC opens Invicta and puts the Strikeforce female fighters there.
  • 2012: UFC opens a 135 pound women's division promoting Rousey as the champ.
  • 2013: After a hiatus from MMA, Cyborg wins the Invicta 145 pound championship.
Some things look clear... It seems the UFC has no intention of opening a 145 pound division which was always the most important division in women's MMA before UFC got involved. Meanwhile Rousey likes to run her mouth talking smack about a larger champion (Cyborg) that she could have fought 3 years ago in Strikeforce but chose not to. With all this smack talking, she stays at 135 knowing that it is difficult if not impossible for Cyborg to make 135.

Meanwhile, Invicta (owned by UFC), releases a promotional video calling Cyborg the "baddest woman on the planet" (I bet Rousey won't like that):

http://youtu.be/cTZL-yHJSZs

It's true, Cyborg is the baddest woman on the planet until proven otherwise. Rousey can run her mouth all she wants but she can only call herself the baddest 135 pound woman on the planet. Cyborg won the most important women's MMA title in 2009 and hasn't been beaten since. By default she's the baddest woman on the planet.

She also tested positive for steroids right after winning that title. That never seems to make it into your narrative.

PEDs have been a big problem in MMA. Out of competition random tests caught 31% of fighters using PEDs:

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/02/known-out-of-competition-drug-tests-snag-38-percent-of-ufc-fighters

So based on your logic we can now dismiss the careers of Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort, and many others over positive tests for banned substances?

To a good extent, yes. Especially compared to those who have not tested positive.

Cyborg can call herself the Baddest Woman on the Planet all she wants, but she can't call herself the Baddest Clean Woman on the Planet. I think that it's even more egregious for her to be caught given how she has won the majority of her fights.

Rousey: "I would fight Gina Carano at 145"

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/03/ronda-rousey-willing-to-fight-at-145-for-gina-carano-and-only-gina-carano

Rousey on Leila Ali: "I understand why she'd think that because she has a size advantage, but if you saw my last fight it had nothing to do with size or strength at all. That's not how I beat people. So you can't count having a size and strength advantage as having a real advantage against me."

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/3/12/8199157/ufc-champ-ronda-rousey-puts-laila-ali-on-blast-for-size-snub-im-around-mma

Cyborg to Rousey: "If size doesn't matter, why won't you fight me?"

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/3/12/8203717/ufc-cris-cyborg-to-ronda-rousey-if-size-doesnt-matter-why-wont-you-fight-me-mma

Rousey has a big azz mouth. She talks the talk but won't walk the walk when it comes to Cyborg. Willing to fight bigger opponents in Carano and Ali but wants nothing to do with Cyborg (except smack talk). She wants to yap her mouth and hide behind her 135 weight that is unattainable for Cyborg. Yet "size doesn't matter" according to her. She ducked Cyborg 3 years ago in Strikeforce, and she's ducking her now. She knows what most Rousey homers don't want to acknowledge, that Cyborg can beat her.

Or maybe she doesn't want to placate the terms of someone who is quite larger and has already been caught cheating. Cyborg felt the need to dope before fighting Carrano. Who's to say she wouldn't feel the need to dope again if Ronda moved up to fight her? As the videos that you like to post clearly show, Cyborg wins most of her fights with vastly superior strength and bludgeoning her opponents. Taking steroids on top of that is tantamount to using loaded gloves.

Plus you keep ignoring the fact that Ronda simply doesn't need this fight. Especially under the terms that Cyborg requires. No fighter in Rousey's position would do that.

Wrong. You are two years off. Her test came back clean for the Carano fight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristiane_Justino

Then she should shut the he11 up and stop calling Cyborg out. Like I said, she talks the talk but won't walk the walk. Cyborg beat the pizz out of Rousey's hero Carano so Rousey wants nothing to do with Cyborg in the actual octagon. But she still wants to call herself the top female fighter in the world.

If Rousey fights Cyborg and wins, fine, we can call her the best in the world. But until that happens she is not.

You keep saying that Rousey "calls her out", but all I see is her responding to questions and Cyborg's demands that she fight her at 145. In fact, I have never heard her comment on Cyborg unless it was a direct response to a question. How is that "calling someone out"?

And you also seem to operate under the delusion that your validation somehow carries any weight. Like the rest of us here, I'm sure that Rousey sleeps just fine not worrying the first little bit about who you think is the best.

You need to read up on the history. It started in 2011.

The history between Cyborg and Rousey goes back to November 2011 when the former Olympic Judo medalist defeated Julia Budd at a Strikeforce Challengers show while competing at 145 pounds. At the time, Rousey said she was ready to drop down to bantamweight and challenge champion Miesha Tate, but Cyborg was already looking at her as a potential opponent at featherweight.

Following her win over Hiroko Yamanaka in Strikeforce almost exactly a month later, Cyborg reveals that she asked to face Rousey, but didn't get the answer she was expecting.

"I don't want to talk trash about somebody, I want to prove it inside the cage. When she was in my weight class she said 'I want to fight Cris Cyborg' and when I had my last fight against Hiroko (Yamanaka) I talked to Sean Shelby, the matchmaker at Strikeforce, and I said 'I want Ronda next.' He said 'no, she's not ready for you' and after that fight she's talking bad about me but you guys protected her," Santos revealed in an interview with Bleacher Report

"Because after my fight I told them I want to fight her and they said no she's not ready for you."

In Cyborg's opinion, Rousey was being protected and continues to live under the same shield of protection right now. The Brazilian isn't sure why a fighter that competed in the Olympics at 154 pounds, then fought MMA at 145 pounds, insists that it's Santos who drops down to bantamweight for their fight to finally happen.

"She fought at 154 (pounds) in Judo, and I think who is running? It's not me. I fight at 145, she fought at 145, who's running from this fight? Not me," said Cyborg. "People need to see the fact to see who's running."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1575865-cris-cyborg-asked-for-ronda-rousey-in-strikeforce-was-told-shes-not-ready

All of that is Cyborg's version of events and even says so in the article. And it still doesn't mention what was said. But if Ronda really said that she wanted to fight Cyborg, then that discredits your assertion that she's scared, doesn't it?

I think that it's just as likely that Ronda moved to 135 because her body is obviously better suited for that weight class as that has been well proven. Her Judo weight is irrelevant because judo isn't mma.

It was a serious question. I could see football as we know it ceasing to exist in my lifetime, so it only follows that the future of MMA may come into question. I tried to watch the sport a little back in the 90s, when MMA guys started showing up in the WWF and the WCW. I couldn't get into it, but I didn't really give it that much of a chance. When I got older, it started to seem kinda gross with how brutal it can get. To each his own, of course.

It was a serious question. I could see football as we know it ceasing to exist in my lifetime, so it only follows that the future of MMA may come into question. I tried to watch the sport a little back in the 90s, when MMA guys started showing up in the WWF and the WCW. I couldn't get into it, but I didn't really give it that much of a chance. When I got older, it started to seem kinda gross with how brutal it can get. To each his own, of course.

a major issue with football is that the NFL has basically refused to consider technological advances in helmets that would do a much better job of preventing brain trauma

Boxing is far more brutal and is responsible for more deaths and serious injuries than MMA. Of course that's not to say that MMA is safe, but it's the accumulative effects of taking punishment over 10-12 rounds with much heavier gloves that causes most brain damage. Not the one-time KO punch.

You make no sense. Yes in 2011 Ronda said she wanted to fight Cyborg when they were both in the 145 division. Then Ronda subsequently moves to 135 and has been hiding from Cyborg ever since.

Talk and actions are two different things.

She moved to a division that's clearly better suited to her size. And I don't think there is a sane person who wouldn't agree that it was the right decision. Look where she is now.

The American Journal of Sports Medicine released a study last year saying MMA brain injury risk is higher than boxing, football, and hockey.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/10690370/study-shows-mma-brain-injury-risk-higher-boxing

As I said, none are safe by any means but I would much rather take one on the jaw with a 4oz mma glove than 10 rounds worth of beating with 10oz boxing gloves.

And I read a suprising study recently claiming that soccer players have an abnormally high level of brain pathology due to the sustained sub-concussive impacts of heading the ball repeatedly.

I saw something a while back about most brain injuries among high school and college football players occurring during practice, and it's mostly a bunch of small ones that they aren't even aware are happening, like linemen firing off the ball and butting heads over and over. A death of a thousand cuts type sh*t.

I saw something a while back about most brain injuries among high school and college football players occurring during practice, and it's mostly a bunch of small ones that they aren't even aware are happening, like linemen firing off the ball and butting heads over and over. A death of a thousand cuts type sh*t.

Linemen especially because they sustain sub-concussive blows on every play. Football is awful for your brain.