Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willy Mo

March Hawks Thread.

Josh was an idiot, his antics actually gave the Hawks motivation to step it up and beat the Rockets. Josh was always a really stupid player as far as BBall IQ goes and I'm glad he is gone. Also maybe the fans were tired of his crap thus not showing up as much as they are now. Either way I'm glad that little cry baby is gone.

I'm not saying your wrong but c'mon man it hasn't even been 24 hours and J. Smith taunting the fans and subsequent meltdown is still one of the biggest stories on this Wednesday afternoon, it's all sports talk radio can talk about, can you blame us? It's such a perfect example of schadenfreude on our part I know, but the guy wanted to humiliate us, ended up falling on his @ss laugh.png. We'll move on before too long, trust me with the Cavs coming up Josh Smith will feel like a distant memory.

He was a distant memory to me when Ferry released him. I don't care what he says now. He obviously recognizes the success this team has seen since he left, so if he feels bitter about that then so be it. That's his problem, not mine.

Josh was an idiot, his antics actually gave the Hawks motivation to step it up and beat the Rockets. Josh was always a really stupid player as far as BBall IQ goes and I'm glad he is gone. Also maybe the fans were tired of his crap thus not showing up as much as they are now. Either way I'm glad that little cry baby is gone.

No as others have stated us beating Top teams and the #1 ranking is the reason fans have stated to show up.

The problem during the Josh/Horford/Johnson days was inconsistent sometimes they'd go on a nice win streak then a losing streak was right behind it, and it didn't give them much to believe in.

Vs. Today we've just been going on long win streaks and barely any losing streaks. Seriously when was the last time we lost? When we lost those 2 games in the row that was the first time in awhile I had that feeling of "here comes that other shoe", but then they won again.

I'm not into insulting BB IQ's cause if that's the case think Javale Mcgee would top that list honestly.

Cavaliers-Hawks Preview

7:30 PM ET, March 6, 2015

Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA

Coverage: SPSO

ATLANTA (AP) -- The Atlanta Hawks are blowing away everyone in the Eastern Conference.

Yet, there's always a sense that LeBron James will be standing in the way when they get to the playoffs.

That scenario adds an extra bit of intrigue to Friday night's matchup in Atlanta between the Hawks and James' Cleveland Cavaliers.

The front-running Hawks insist they're not treating this game any different. Of course, that's what you would expect from the team with a double-digit lead in the East, which has all but locked up home-court advantage throughout the conference playoffs with more than a month to go in the regular season.

"We want to be better later in the season than we are now," forward DeMarre Carroll said Thursday, shortly after the Hawks wrapped up an hour-long practice. "This is more about the Hawks than any sort of message game."

The Cavaliers see it a bit different. Even though they are 10 1-2 games behind the Hawks, dueling with Chicago and Toronto for the second seed, they haven't backed off their expectations of competing for a championship.

"Obviously, we have some great teams in the league that are ahead of us," guard Kyrie Irving said. "We're trying to use that as a barometer and test for us when we come out to play, especially on the road. These games mean a lot. Seeding is a big thing. We just want to take care of business."

The Hawks are the NBA's most surprising team, a long-overlooked franchise that went unbeaten in January (during a 19-game winning streak) and had four players -- Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague, Al Horford and Kyle Korver -- in the All-Star Game.

After a 7-6 start, they have won 41 of their last 48 games, their latest run of five in a row extended Tuesday when they rallied from an 18-point deficit to beat Houston. Atlanta has the league's best record (48-12), a half-game ahead of Golden State, and merely needs to win 12 of its last 22 games to ensure home court in the East.

The Cavaliers (39-24) haven't been the powerhouse everyone expected after luring James back to Cleveland and trading for Kevin Love, pairing those two with Irving to create their own version of the Big Three.

Even though Cleveland seems to be coming together, winning eight of its last 11, James said it's too soon to make comparisons to the conference's newest powerhouse.

"It shouldn't be about the team we're playing," James said after the Cavs held off the Toronto Raptors 120-112 on Wednesday. "It's about our process. Obviously, Atlanta has been playing great basketball all year. We can't try to go in there and see where we are with them.

"They've been playing the most consistent, along with Golden State, all year. So we'll see where we are. If we keep getting better, we keep playing defense like we've been playing the last couple of months, we'll give ourselves a great chance."

While the Hawks have maintained essentially the same roster all year, the Cavaliers have made some major changes since the first three meetings between the teams, all before New Year's Day.

Cleveland acquired J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert from the New York Knicks to provide additional scoring, and bulked up on the inside by picking up 7-foot-1 Timofey Mozgov from Denver and signing 6-10 Kendrick Perkins.

"They're going to test us, they're going to challenge us," Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said. "That's what you want. You want to be tested and you want to be challenged in a big way. I think our guys, and all of us, look forward to that test and that challenge. But it's not really sending really any messages or anything like that, where we stand or where anybody stands."

The Cavaliers handed Atlanta its worst loss of the season back on Nov. 15, 127-94, but the Hawks bounced back just a month later to dole out Cleveland's most lopsided defeat, 127-98 -- the game that signaled this team had a chance to be something special.

Atlanta won again on Dec. 30 in a much more competitive matchup, 109-101.

For their final meeting of the regular season, the Hawks are at home and well rested after two days off. The Cavaliers were off Thursday, their only break in a stretch of four games in five days.

So, while this may not exactly be a fair fight, it should be a more accurate gauge of where both teams are with the playoffs approaching.

"It's going to be a good challenge," Teague said. "As long as we're playing well at the end of the season and going into the playoffs, as long as we're playing at a high level on both ends, that's all that really matters to me."

---

That pose is awful without a goal or something.

He looks stupid unless you know what this is from.

Unless someone is absolutely brain dead, a statue of a basketball player in front of a basketball arena, holding a basketball should know what it is.

Of course they'll know what it is.

But it's a statue of one of the biggest highlight players the NBA has ever seen and the statue is a very non chalant looking windmill dunk. I'm just saying for a guy of his skills its incredibly tame, and there are 1000 better poses you could have used.

Can we all just look at it like this? A Atlanta player got his own statue. That's awesome!

Agreed at this point I would nitpick, but at least we actually got one lol.

If someone can find me another 1st place 48-12 team playing an opponent it's at least 10 games better than in the standings AT HOME and still be the underdog I'll let you change my avatar.

Here comes LeBron. The Hawks are doomed. Aren’t they?

Mark Bradley

March 5, 2015 | Filed in: Atlanta Hawks / NBA.
cavaliers-raptors-bas_brad.jpg?w=640

“Am I not the king of all media?” (Frank Gunn/AP photo/The Canadian Press)

The calendar year — and we’re barely into March, I note — has seen more than its share of prime Atlanta Hawks home dates: Thunder here on the night of the record-breaking 15th in a row; Trail Blazers here a week later; Warriors here a week after that. And Tuesday’s game wasn’t bad, either, even if James Harden didn’t play for the Rockets. But this Friday brings LeBron James to town, and that’s when the amp goes from 10 to 11 if not 111.

The Hawks lead Cleveland, LeBron’s latest team, by 10 1/2 games with 22 to play. But the Cavaliers, to give them their due, have won 20 of 24 and beat Golden State last week and Toronto on Tuesday. Naturally, this has inspired many in the media to proclaim the Cavs the East’s best team — even if the standings don’t reflect anything of the sort.

Any sign of a Cleveland uptick was bound to become an uproar, given that the Cavs have LeBron and the hoops world revolves around him. And I’d also submit that the Hawks, who’ve won five straight after that post-All-Star flop-apalooza against the Raptors, aren’t playing quite as well as when they were winning 35 of 37. But it’s not like they’ve turned tail at the sound of LeBron’s approaching footsteps. This isn’t a team easily cowed.

If the Cavs win Friday, we’ll be treated to six weeks of the The-King-Has-Reclaimed-His-Throne stories. If the Hawks win, we’ll be buffeted with It’s-Only-A-Matter-Of-Time-Before-The-King-Reclaims-His-Throne. Because he’s LeBron, he and his team will always be granted the benefit of every doubt. But I have fewer doubts about these Hawks than I do LeBron’s Cavs. At last check, 48-12 trumps 39-24.

Another bit of added spice to this game

Hawks and Cavs are each others worst defeats of the season so far I believe.

Unfortunately anyone looking towards this game for a chance for the Hawks to earn some much needed love, this won't be the night. If Cavs win, all the talking heads can nod smugly and pat each other on the back because they were right all along, if the Hawks win, "meh" it's a nice story but they'll still fall flat on their face this postseason.

and the beat goes on.

I would love to see the Hawks stomp lebron tonight

Who wouldn't if they don't I'm still picking them as favorite over them in the playoffs.

Another bit of added spice to this game

Hawks and Cavs are each others worst defeats of the season so far I believe.

Unfortunately anyone looking towards this game for a chance for the Hawks to earn some much needed love, this won't be the night. If Cavs win, all the talking heads can nod smugly and pat each other on the back because they were right all along, if the Hawks win, "meh" it's a nice story but they'll still fall flat on their face this postseason.

and the beat goes on.

I'd rather the talking heads keep the spotlight off of the Hawks. We can be the most underrated team to ever win a conference and finish with the league's best record. It'll just make getting that Finals trophy that much sweeter.

I'd rather the talking heads keep the spotlight off of the Hawks. We can be the most underrated team to ever win a conference and finish with the league's best record. It'll just make getting that Finals trophy that much sweeter.

I agree. I don't think this is a team to be affected one way or other to much by what the media says but I'd rather them be underrated than overrated. Doesn't mean I'm enjoying every sports bozo in the country talking sh^t about our team and "bandwagon fans" in the meantime though. Only thing we can do is grit our teeth through it, tune out as much as you can and hope we get the last laugh.

Wilkins isnt getting merely a statue. A long stretch of Centennial Olympic Park Drive, from Marietta St. to Martin Luther King Drive, is being renamed, Dominique Wilkins Lane. Celebrations will go on. The statue will find a permanent home outside of Philips Arena, by the Atlanta sign.