Why Hasn't Peter Konz Been Cut Yet?

WiscoFalcon

Ok I read the posts on this thread, I see some have hope for Konz. Tell me this folks...how is the ZBS going to make Konz a better pass protector? Because he was thoroughly abused in that phase of the game too.

Not as a rookie... nor last year in the limited play.

Most of his struggles in 2013 related to technique issues... IE getting too high ( which is a common thing for a 6'5 center).

He worked hard and improved last year when he got to play but then he got hurt.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest facelessman07

Not as a rookie... nor last year in the limited play.

Most of his struggles in 2013 related to technique issues... IE getting too high ( which is a common thing for a 6'5 center).

He worked hard and improved last year when he got to play but then he got hurt.

He thoroughly sucked last year when he replaced Brawley

He's the 3rd C on the roster on a cheap contract. Clearly this coach doesn't pull his punches and has no issues cutting big name team favourites . Cut a cheap backup player and you have to replace him (inevitably with a another cheap backup player). Struggling to see the point of cutting him. Clearly Quinn/shanahan are happy to let him play out his contract or at the very least compete in TC before cutting him. Relax some

Edited by primetime

Seriously I was his biggest fan coming out of UW, but sadly we happened to draft one of the 2 UW O-Line busts, and currently have the other one on our team.

James Stone is a solidified back-up at C for us, with Hawley being the starter.

Konz gets bullied just about every snap, and I don't get why he is still on this team, hopefully he is gone soon.

Cutting him would say around 900K, more than we got from cutting Mass.

I think they keep Konz for depth, at least let him compete for a roster spot in TC --- and I think he's bigger & stronger now, than when he was man-handled a couple of years ago.....we'll see.

Seriously I was his biggest fan coming out of UW, but sadly we happened to draft one of the 2 UW O-Line busts, and currently have the other one on our team.

James Stone is a solidified back-up at C for us, with Hawley being the starter.

Konz gets bullied just about every snap, and I don't get why he is still on this team, hopefully he is gone soon.

Cutting him would say around 900K, more than we got from cutting Mass.

The reason why he is still here is because the new coaching staff does not share your opinion.

Another thing to is despite Konz's absolute failures as a center he was serviceable some in his rookie year. That isn't even what separates him from someone like Mass. Konz has shown his absolute willingness to workout and train and try and better himself. Sadly Mass seemed to have been the opposite of that. He just wants to pout and not put the work and or rehab training in that the new staff obviously required. Hate on Konz all you want, his head and heart is at least in it. Cannot say that about Mass at all.

What's the difference? If we ever need his < 1 million cap, we'll probably cut him. If we need his roster spot, we'll probably cut him. If he's unimpressive during TC, we'll definitely cut him. Until then, what's the point, you hate the guy that much?

To summarize...

1. There's no point in cutting a player who's still on his rookie contract.

2. Massaquoi wasn't a "cap casualty", he was an example. He got injured, skipped treatments, practiced poorly, and then complained about a lack of snaps.

3. Konz was drafted in the 2nd round because of how good of a zone blocking scheme offensive lineman he was at Wisconsin. He fits the scheme well now.

4. Even if he's a crappy player like everybody keeps screaming, he could STILL get cut when we trim the roster down in August. Check yoselves.

FFS70 wants to cut the entire team, apparently, or at least everyone his FAVORITE person in the world TD has brought in.

What does cutting him now accomplish? He makes peanuts and is still young. If he plays like he has been he will be cut...

Cutting him now accomplishes several things:

1. Getting another sorry mofo off the Atlanta Football Falcon roster

2. Opening a spot on the Oline to bring in a G/C that can play on the NFL level

3. Freeing up another $1M in cap money to use toward a real football player

Which none of it is needed. The only real thing it accomplishes is appeasing the irrational masses. At the very least he is a camp body, not to mention another chance to show up even bigger than last year.

All of that stuff can all still be gained further down the road when it makes more sense.

2 & 3 are legit but like Tuggle said both can happen down the road with the same effect and also gives the coaching staff a longer loon at him. C'mon FFS.. Nothing wrong with the new staff taking an extended look to see if he has anything to bring to the table. Maybe this new staff will work a little magic on King Konz.

CraigSmackDaddy I do not wish Konz ill, either. Sandwiched between Clabo and McClure, Konz did show -some- competence in his play. But 2013 was such a beatdown...I literally saw nothing to enforce the notion that Konz had any potential at all. If the guy has a big turnaround I would be right there cheering for him. I am just accepting the reality that Konz has such a long way to go, it is unlikely he will ever amount to much in the NFL.

I don't disagree man. We're on the same page. Hopefully Konz turns it around, one less hole to fill if he can at least be a decent backup at C and guard.

CraigSmackDaddy I agree with what you are saying. It doesn't make sense to cut Konz now, we have too many needs. I just do not want TD or our coaches wanting to keep this guy. To me, if a player does not show something in their first two seasons, then that player needs to go. All Konz has to show for his first two seasons is cleat marks all over his body from being stomped into the ground by defenders.

A leopard never changes its spots.