Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shredman

Free Agency 2015 ....

1,521 posts in this topic

Any cuts from this point forward would be shocking to me though I do expect to see more

sam baker and his 11 mil cap number need to go..........

We got 15 mil now which is way better than how Hurney left it 2 years ago

True. Most of the NFC South teams are in pretty good cap situations...

...then there is that one.

Get your popcorn out...

$-25MM is going to be fun!

WFW was thinking the same thing!

Restructure!!!1!

If it's good enough for the infallible Saints, it's good enough for the Falcons

True. Most of the NFC South teams are in pretty good cap situations...

...then there is that one.

Yeah lol they're ******. They are lucky they have a HOFer at QB cause they will need him more than ever to save them from all the players they are gonna have to cut

Once again...

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-orleans-saints&id=13383&src=desktop

As usual, the New Orleans Saints are taking a pass on formal media interviews at the scouting combine in Indianapolis this week. But general manager Mickey Loomis did chat with NOLA.com and The Times-Picayune on Wednesday.

Loomis didnt break much new ground, but he did touch on a variety of the teams most pressing issues as they head toward the start of the new league year and free-agent signing period on March 10.

Loomis reiterated that the Saints have a plan for trimming the estimated $25 million in salary-cap space that will be required over the next three weeks. Although Loomis didnt specify that plan, a huge part will include converting roster bonuses into signing bonuses with players like Junior Galette, Jairus Byrd, Jimmy Graham and Curtis Lofton. That simple tweak could save about $20 million right away, shifting those cap costs into future years.

I wouldn't call it easy, yet we know what our plan is," Loomis told The Times-Picayune. "And we've known what it's going to be for some quite time -- in terms of just getting under the cap."

Not surprisingly, Loomis didnt hint at any names of veteran players who might get released as part of the cap-cutting process. However, I found one of his comments particularly interesting.

Although Loomis and coach Sean Payton had previously stressed the need to make changes and look at everything with a critical eye following last years disappointing 7-9 season, Loomis said its important they dont go overboard based on emotion.

"Every year we've got to look at our team with a critical eye and try not to be swayed by the emotional investment we have in any given team," Loomis said. "That's true whether you're 11-5 or 7-9. Obviously we've got a different feeling after 7-9 and not living up to expectations that I think we all had coming into last season.

"But we have to be careful about not letting those those highs and lows -- and obviously last season was a bit of a low -- interfere with what our mind tells us we need to do."

Loomis suggested that the Saints are interested in re-signing free agent running back Mark Ingram, who is by far the most prominent of the Saints unsigned free agents. But he also suggested it might be tough for both sides to agree on Ingrams market value before other teams are allowed in on the bidding.

"In free agency, everyone wants to see what the market is," Loomis said. "The question is, can that get done prior to March 10? Can both sides get a good feel for that beforehand and do a deal, or do we need to wait and see where all the offers are and respond accordingly?"

Loomis also confirmed, as previously hinted, that the Saints wont hire any one person in the specific role of player personnel director to replace Ryan Pace. Instead, newly-hired Jeff Ireland will oversee the college scouting department, Terry Fontenot will oversee the pro scouting department, and both will assist in other areas as needed in an overall collaborative process.

so after all that twerking uhh i mean tweaking with Junior Galette, Jairus Byrd, Jimmy Graham and Curtis Lofton

they will be only 5 mil over the cap lol

what a freaking Clusterfuk in The Big Easy lol

It's gonna be funny when we start signing players Falcons fans wanted lol. You guys do this every year, there are numerous articles breaking down how the Saints can get as far as 18 million under the cap, yes it will come with casualties and further kicking the can down the street but we won't need to blow things up in 2015. That doomsday will come in the future, but not while Drew is still playing at a high level.

Once again...

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-orleans-saints&id=13383&src=desktop

As usual, the New Orleans Saints are taking a pass on formal media interviews at the scouting combine in Indianapolis this week. But general manager Mickey Loomis did chat with NOLA.com and The Times-Picayune on Wednesday.

Loomis didnt break much new ground, but he did touch on a variety of the teams most pressing issues as they head toward the start of the new league year and free-agent signing period on March 10.

Loomis reiterated that the Saints have a plan for trimming the estimated $25 million in salary-cap space that will be required over the next three weeks. Although Loomis didnt specify that plan, a huge part will include converting roster bonuses into signing bonuses with players like Junior Galette, Jairus Byrd, Jimmy Graham and Curtis Lofton. That simple tweak could save about $20 million right away, shifting those cap costs into future years.

I wouldn't call it easy, yet we know what our plan is," Loomis told The Times-Picayune. "And we've known what it's going to be for some quite time -- in terms of just getting under the cap."

Not surprisingly, Loomis didnt hint at any names of veteran players who might get released as part of the cap-cutting process. However, I found one of his comments particularly interesting.

Although Loomis and coach Sean Payton had previously stressed the need to make changes and look at everything with a critical eye following last years disappointing 7-9 season, Loomis said its important they dont go overboard based on emotion.

"Every year we've got to look at our team with a critical eye and try not to be swayed by the emotional investment we have in any given team," Loomis said. "That's true whether you're 11-5 or 7-9. Obviously we've got a different feeling after 7-9 and not living up to expectations that I think we all had coming into last season.

"But we have to be careful about not letting those those highs and lows -- and obviously last season was a bit of a low -- interfere with what our mind tells us we need to do."

Loomis suggested that the Saints are interested in re-signing free agent running back Mark Ingram, who is by far the most prominent of the Saints unsigned free agents. But he also suggested it might be tough for both sides to agree on Ingrams market value before other teams are allowed in on the bidding.

"In free agency, everyone wants to see what the market is," Loomis said. "The question is, can that get done prior to March 10? Can both sides get a good feel for that beforehand and do a deal, or do we need to wait and see where all the offers are and respond accordingly?"

Loomis also confirmed, as previously hinted, that the Saints wont hire any one person in the specific role of player personnel director to replace Ryan Pace. Instead, newly-hired Jeff Ireland will oversee the college scouting department, Terry Fontenot will oversee the pro scouting department, and both will assist in other areas as needed in an overall collaborative process.

Kevo leave it alone Bro. All the Jr GMs on the board know wayyyyyy more than the professionals.

I already said Loomis should come here if he wants to know how to run a team off ofH heart and emotion instead of a business.

Kevo likes this

Now I understand why falcons fans go into complete meltdown mode during the season. It's because you let your optimism get the best of you this time of the year lol.

Kevo likes this

i dont get how Naive Saints fans are

even if the mange to get say 20 mil under the cap

what cost will that come at ???

your 2 starting Guards, your #1 WR , your best LB

not to mention

your #1 HB is a FA

and we have not even touched on Saints need at Corner....

Loomis pulls you guys outa this mess, and you can Field a Playoff Team in 2015

I will be the first here to say he is 1 of if not the best GM in the NFL....

not to mention

your #1 HB is a FA

He does it every year, lol! Weren't you one of the guys that swore there was no way they could sign Byrd? Weren't we saying the the samethings last season?

Rave likes this

He does it every year, lol! Weren't you one of the guys that swore there was no way they could sign Byrd? Weren't we saying the the samethings last season?

yea but you had to trade DS and let some other guys walk and cut the guys who a yr before restructured to sign him....

and now

he is part of the problem and Loomis is asking him to restructure lol

Insanity man......

not to mention

your #1 HB is a FA

Our #1 wr is no longer producing at a high level, losing Colston at this point is no longer a big deal. And who would be losing at LB? We're not cutting Lofton and Hawthorne is not earning his cap hit. Galette is likely going to come down with a suspension and at most I only see us restructuring his deal. Evans and Grubbs need their deals restructured, I think you're paying attention to what Evans once was, he's no longer a top guard imo. Drew took on way too much inside pressure for 2 of our biggest cap hits to be coming from interior lineman, period. I did say there will be casualties, and idk how much it will affect the team this season but I guess we'll see.

yea but you had to trade DS and let some other guys walk and cut the guys who a yr before restructured to sign him....

and now

he is part of the problem and Loomis is asking him to restructure lol

Insanity man......

Here goes the sproles argument lol. The guy did not produce in 2012 or 2013, check the stats. Just because he found success in philly does not mean he would have in 2014 with nola. That's like SJ going to Denver and ripping off a 1000 yard 10 TD season, and Saints fans harping on you guys for releasing him. Clearly he was not that player in ATL.

Why yes...yes he was :D