Nfl.com: Vic Beasley, Dante Fowler Blaze To Impressive 40 Times

g-dawg

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473225/article/vic-beasley-dante-fowler-jr-blaze-to-impressive-combine-40s

Vic Beasley, Dante Fowler, Jr. blaze to impressive combine 40s

by; Mike Huquenin

Updated: Feb 22, 2015 at 10:34am

Teams looking for edge rushers -- and, really, in today's NFL, which team isn't? -- have a number of good candidates to choose from this year, and Florida defensive end Dante Fowler, Jr., stated his case as being the best available Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Fowler2.jpg

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock said during Sunday's NFL Network telecast of the combine that this is the best draft for edge rushers since 2011, and most of the top guys showed off their wares Sunday. Dante Fowler (6-foot-2½, 261 pounds) likely continued his ascent up draft boards when he ran a 4.61 (unofficial) in the 40, with a 10-yard split of 1.59 seconds.

Mayock compares Fowler, who sported a gold watch during his runs, to the Kansas City Chiefs' Justin Houston and theOakland Raiders' Khalil Mack. Mayock said those two, and Fowler, have the ability to be "hellacious" pass rushers, can set a "physical edge" against the run and also can drop into coverage.

Of Fowler's 4.61 clocking, Mayock said, "I've pretty much seen what I need to see."

• Fowler's size compared to the other top edge rushers might end up being the deciding factor. He is heavier than the other top contenders and plays more powerfully.

Clemson end Vic Beasley seems likely to move to outside linebacker at the next level, and he blazed to a 4.53 (unofficial) 40, the fastest among the first group of linemen. Mayock said Beasley -- who is 6-3 and weighed in at 246 pounds, 11 more than he was listed during the season -- "wins with outside speed" but also is able to convert that speed to power, which is a special trait.

0ap2000000249970.jpg

Nebraska end Randy Gregory -- who was measured at 6-4 7/8 but a surprisingly light 235 pounds -- was clocked at 4.57 (unofficial) seconds. As with Beasley, Gregory's best run came in his second attempt. Mayock described Gregory as "twitchy and quick off the edge." But there are some issues with Gregory, with his lack of weight a notable one.

Missouri end Shane Ray (6-2½ 245), another of this year's top edge prospects, is not working out at the combine because of a foot injury.

S%20Dakota%20St%20Missouri%20Football.JP

Virginia end Eli Harold (6-3 1/8, 247), who surprised some by leaving after his junior season, showed off his top-flight athleticism with a 4.53 clocking (unofficial). While he has excellent quickness and speed, he has a ways to go before he can be considered a well-rounded player. He has had issues against the run and with consistency.

LSU end Danielle Hunter (6-5 1/8, 252) also showed off, running a 4.57 (unofficial). Mayock calls Hunter a "gifted kid who I thought came out a year early." No one questions Hunter's athleticism or upside. But he didn't always flash at LSU; while he led the Tigers with 13 tackles for loss, he had just 1.5 sacks. He disappeared at times and remains raw with his technique.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

90% chance we end up with one of these three: Fowler, Ray or Beasley

I have no hope in Beasley being there at #8 now and we have too many needs to afford a trade up. I would also prefer to not take either Fowler or Ray. If the choice is between taking one of those two or pissing the fan base off by taking a worthwhile player for a top 10 pick then I'd do the latter.

yeah Heist I feel you. I was crappin' on Beasley's size and he proved me wrong - Psychic Gibbon(PG) has worn me out the last two years by saying early that Aaron Donald was not only a 1st round pick but worthy of a top 10 - he said that pre-combine before Donald started rising up the boards.

I really thought Beasley was going to come in shorter (6'1" vs. 6'3") and lighter (230 vs 246) and was proven wrong in both instances. I did not doubt he was fast and a great college player - the tape shows that. I dunno, maybe he has been on a "Roid Regimen" since the beginning of January - who knows? Let's give PG some credit - dude knows what he is talking about when making the projection from college to NFL.

I still prefer Fowler at this point over Ray/Beasley and have them ranked:

1) Dante Fowler, Jr.

2) Shane Ray

3) Vic Beasley

but I could easily see a scenario where 3 years from now Beasley is the best player. As far as pure passrush, you probably would flip those rankings. At this point, I would be happy with any of those three guys.

yeah Heist I feel you. I was crappin' on Beasley's size and he proved me wrong - Psychic Gibbon(PG) has worn me out the last two years by saying early that Aaron Donald was not only a 1st round pick but worthy of a top 10 - he said that pre-combine before Donald started rising up the boards.

I really thought Beasley was going to come in shorter (6'1" vs. 6'3") and lighter (230 vs 246) and was proven wrong in both instances. I did not doubt he was fast and a great college player - the tape shows that. I dunno, maybe he has been on a "Roid Regimen" since the beginning of January - who knows? Let's give PG some credit - dude knows what he is talking about when making the projection from college to NFL.

1) Dante Fowler, Jr.

2) Shane Ray

3) Vic Beasley

but I could easily see a scenario where 3 years from now Beasley is the best player. As far as pure passrush, you probably would flip those rankings. At this point, I would be happy with any of those three guys.

I'd probably have Beasley over Ray but yeah same here and agreed with everything else.

I really thought Beasley was going to come in shorter (6'1" vs. 6'3") and lighter (230 vs 246) and was proven wrong in both instances. I did not doubt he was fast. I dunno, maybe he has been on a "Roid Regimen" since the beginning of January - who knows? Let's give PG some credit - dude knows what he is talking about when making the projection from college to NFL.

1) Dante Fowler, Jr.

2) Shane Ray

3) Vic Beasley

but I could easily see a scenario where 3 years from now Beasley is the best player. As far as pure passrush, you probably would flip those rankings.

I just cannot get behind those two. The only player I can think of when I watch Fowler is JA98, so I have little to no hope in his NFL success, while the more I watch Ray the more I realize he's just another Bruce Irvin, so he can be effective but not remotely worth a 1st round pick. Outside of Beasley I feel like the edge rushers this year are getting overhyped due to their athleticism despite their numerous question marks and due to their positions.

I just cannot get behind those two. The only player I can think of when I watch Fowler is JA98, so I have little to no hope in his NFL success, while the more I watch Ray the more I realize he's just another Bruce Irvin, so he can be effective but not remotely worth a 1st round pick. Outside of Beasley I feel like the edge rushers this year are getting overhyped due to their athleticism despite their numerous question marks and due to their positions.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

you are probably right again!

I remember getting in on that action smile.png

everybody was in on Aaron Donald in January as a 2nd round pick - PG was the early guy to say in January he was a 1st rounder in the 20's - by early February he had him as worthy of Top 10 - maybe you were that high that early CK, but PG sticks out there for me.

I have no hope in Beasley being there at #8 now and we have too many needs to afford a trade up. I would also prefer to not take either Fowler or Ray. If the choice is between taking one of those two or pissing the fan base off by taking a worthwhile player for a top 10 pick then I'd do the latter.

so you think Beasley's size, combine showing and tape moved him to the #1 passrusher off the board now? Regardless of his tape and showing today - he's still 246lbs and he probably maxed that out for the combine - maybe not?

I still see Beasley as a guy more likely than not to be available - say 60/40. Of course I have just praised you throughout this thread so maybe I should not be arguing - haha.

Yeah Beasley is just shitting all over the haters dry.png

That 10 yard from Fowler tho >>

I don't understand how Fowler can be #1 on anybody's board when you had 8.5 sacks in your last year. That's his career high in college. That was after he feasted on ECU in the bowl game. Beasley has what, 33 career sacks. Falcons can't rush the passer, get the best guy that can do that. I don't care if he is a "one trick pony." That one trick is a heck of a trick and its the one thing you can't coach.

I don't understand how Fowler can be #1 on anybody's board when you had 8.5 sacks in your last year. That's his career high in college. That was after he feasted on ECU in the bowl game. Beasley has what, 33 career sacks. Falcons can't rush the passer, get the best guy that can do that. I don't care if he is a "one trick pony." That one trick is a heck of a trick and its the one thing you can't coach.

JJ Watt career high in sacks was 7 in college

so you think Beasley's size, combine showing and tape moved him to the #1 passrusher off the board now? Regardless of his tape and showing today - he's still 246lbs and he probably maxed that out for the combine - maybe not?

I still see Beasley as a guy more likely than not to be available - say 60/40. Of course I have just praised you throughout this thread so maybe I should not be arguing - haha.

He's an ideal fit for us at LEO and if that is the case for us then it sure as **** is the case for the Jaguars. Combine his tape with him putting to rest the, "he's undersized," stigma to go along with blowing up the combine with the Jagaurs need to replace the aging Chris Clemons... I just do not see him falling to us.

everybody was in on Aaron Donald in January as a 2nd round pick - PG was the early guy to say in January he was a 1st rounder in the 20's - by early February he had him as worthy of Top 10 - maybe you were that high that early CK, but PG sticks out there for me.

I"ll just leave this here

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3996970-can-we-all-agree-that-aaron-donald-will-be-a-falcon/?p=8279760

I think it is a valid point of argument - however, you have to look at defenses and what players were asked to do, etc, etc - as well as the rest of their games. Take Dee Ford for example - he was a sack machine for Auburn - did go in 1st round but smallish and liability against the run.

Does anyone doubt that Beasley is a more prolific passrusher than Fowler - in college? NO.

Should Beasley be ranked ahead of Fowler as a projected passrusher in the NFL? Yeah, probably so.

There is more to it than just passrush though - although clearly we need passrush.