Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF89

Hawks *new* Febuary Thread (Let's Finish Out The Month Strong)

474 posts in this topic

Alright, let's reverse some trends. Time to wipe the slate clean.

-No more bad turnovers

-No more inconsistent shooting

-No more backing away from rebounds

-No more wide open looks that result in a missed layup

-No more tanking in the 3rd qtr

-No more getting our manhood questioned by those punks at ESPN

-No more Pero freaking Antic

And because I know we're serious.....Here is a picture of Batman...

batman.png

I'M AN ATLANTA FAN I'M ****ING TIRED OF HAVING TO FEEL NEGATIVE ALL THE TIME AND I'M NOT TAKING IT ANYMORE!!!!!

Friday, February 20, 2015
Another hiccup for the East-leading Hawks

By Kevin Arnovitz

ATLANTA -- The fear with any streak is that it’s nothing more than an outlier, a torrid affair that doesn’t represent reality so much as an idealized version of it. This is the worry that’s threatening to creep into Atlanta, where the Hawks dropped their fourth game in seven outings since their historic 19-game run with a 105-80 loss to the Toronto Raptors on Friday.

It’s not in the Hawks’ character to panic, nor should they. Stinkbombs are inevitable over an 82-game season and there’s no shame in falling to a Raptors team that may have played its most complete defensive performance of the season. The Raptors wanted to neutralize the Hawks by accelerating their perimeter rotations and chasing the Hawks off the 3-point line. Mission accomplished.

“You have to give Toronto a lot of credit,” Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said. “They gave it to us good tonight. There are a lot of reason we didn’t play well. They were a big part of that.”

Another reason: crisp Raptors rotations aside, the Hawks shot horrendously. Kyle Korver missed 9 of 11 from beyond the arc, far and away his most missed attempts of the season. Only Shelvin Mack shot better than 50 percent from the field for Atlanta, and those buckets were firmly in the time o’ garbage. There’s a certain comfort in the ugliness because nobody in the Hawks' locker room believes for an instant that these numbers are any more sustainable than the ungodly shot charts they posted during January.

nba_g_antic11_300x300.jpgPero Antic and the Hawks came out of the All-Star break with a thud against the visiting Raptors.

“Missing shots, you can’t [be concerned],” Hawks forward DeMarre Carroll said. “The shots we took were good shots. We just missed them. We had a week off. We just have to get back in the lab, get to the film.” (Thats's straight BS DMC, emot-rant.gif )

This is a team of basketball cinephiles, as film study was cited by Budenholzer, Carroll, Korver and Al Horford as required viewing Saturday before the Hawks take off for Milwaukee to face the Bucks on Sunday afternoon. Though nobody would explicitly lay the loss on the Hawks’ heavy presence at All-Star weekend in New York, Korver allowed for the possibility that a group so reliant on rhythm, timing and routine probably didn’t benefit from the disruption and demands of the festivities.

Still, the Hawks now face realities they knew to be true but until recently hadn’t had to confront. As selfless and appealing as they play on both ends of the floor, those systems have vulnerabilities. For one, pass-happy teams produce beautiful basketball, but passes present a greater risk of turnovers than dull iso sets. On Friday, their classical ballet turned into a game of Twister. The Hawks turned the ball over on almost a quarter of their possessions, which netted the Raps 30 points.

“We were just sloppy,” Horford said. “We were throwing the ball all over the place. Bad turnovers.” (No Chit AL, SMFH)

On the other end, the Hawks rely on smart, situational coverages that require trust and decisiveness. Apart from Carroll and possibly Horford (who routinely has to match up against larger centers), they lack the personnel to fall back on lockdown, one-on-one defense. And on Friday, they suffered an unusual number of breakdowns.

“You have to rely on defense when you don’t make shots, and I don’t think we were good on the defensive end of the court,” Budenholzer said. “I’m more concerned with the shots [the Raptors] were getting.”

There’s a popular perception that the Atlanta’s Achilles' heel resides in its lack of a volume scorer, but that’s not really it. The Hawks didn’t fail on Friday night -- or in their excruciating loss at Boston just before the break -- because there wasn’t a superstar to take over. They lost because when you operate a system, you commit to a process, and right now that process looks gummed up.

Fortunately for the Hawks, an exquisite version of that system won them 19 games in a row and bought them some breathing room at the top of the Eastern Conference. Let the FilmFest begin.

Bout ready to move on from Ray Allen. Word is NBA execs think he's talking about staying retired now and I'm kind of sick of being lead along by the nose anyway. If he comes thats good, but he isn't worth waiting around and missing the train for. If and when another player that we're interested in gets bought out like say Gary Neal I say we go ahead and pull the trigger.

^^^ I agree man but after last night Ray would look good.

To be honest I just want Thabo back. It's too late to try and re-invent the offense, it is what it is, when their shot is on they're near unbeatable and when it's not they can barely score 80. That said it always looks to me like we get plenty of open looks in the paint thanks to solid passing and stretching out the defense with the three but so many times the final man does not finish at the basket.

Your Saturday feel good stat of the day.....

Mike Conti @MikeConti929 Follow

#ATLHawks still in driver's seat for #1 seed. Even if they finish going 14-13, Toronto still must go 20-8 to catch them

Toronto's next three games are on the road against the Rockets, Pelicans and Mavericks before they return home to play the Warriors.

(Thanks goes to Hawksquak for the attention to the info)

Hawks-Bucks Preview

STATS LLC

The last time the Atlanta Hawks visited Milwaukee, they bounced back from a blowout loss to the Bucks a night earlier and began the longest win streak in franchise history.

Now the Hawks return to the Bradley Center looking for history to repeat itself following their worst setback since the one that preceded their impressive run.

In a matchup of two of the NBA's most surprising teams, the Hawks will try to avoid their first three-game slide since last March while denying the red-hot Bucks an eighth consecutive home win Sunday.

Jared Dudley scored 24 points on 10-of-10 shooting and Milwaukee (31-23) shot 50.6 percent in a 107-77 win at Philips Arena on Dec. 26 that remains Atlanta's second-worst loss of the season behind a 33-point defeat at Cleveland on Nov. 15.

The Hawks (43-12), however, bounced right back the next night in Milwaukee, limiting the Bucks to 38.8 percent shooting in a 90-85 win that started their 19-game streak. All-Stars Jeff Teague,Al Horford and Paul Millsap combined for 62 points and 25 rebounds.

Although it still owns a healthy lead over second-place Toronto in the Eastern Conference, Atlanta looks to respond in similar fashion after falling to 3-4 since the streak with Friday's 105-80 home loss to the Raptors.

The Hawks, who hadn't dropped two in a row since mid-November, committed a season high-tying 23 turnovers and shot a season-worst 33.0 percent. Coach Mike Budenholzer, though, believes his team's problems lie on the defensive end.

Since allowing an average of 93.6 points during its streak, Atlanta has allowed opponents to score 102.9 per game over the last seven.

"You have to rely on your defense when you're not making shots and I don't think we were good on the defensive end of the court," Budenholzer said. "I'm more concerned with the shots they were getting, the second opportunities they were getting and the loose balls they were getting."

The Bucks were short-handed Friday due in part to a trade before their first game following the All-Star break, but that didn't keep them from picking up their fourth straight victory and seventh straight at home, 89-81 over visiting Denver.

Milwaukee, which has won nine of 10 overall, hasn't run off eight straight home victories since Feb. 20-March 22, 2010.

Khris Middleton and John Henson teamed for 29 points, though Giannis Antetokounmpo had 10 on 3-of-13 shooting after averaging 18.2 on 60.3 percent over his previous five games.

"We're a young team, so to be able to handle a trade, to handle All-Star weekend, to handle coming back and having meaningful games -- there's a lot to digest for a 20-year-old," coach Jason Kidd said. "As a team, we're all going to go through this and we're here to help each other. We're going to need (Antetokounmpo) to bounce back against Atlanta."

Michael Carter-Williams, acquired from Philadelphia on Thursday, is likely to remain sidelined with a toe injury. Miles Plumlee, however, could make his debut after averaging 4.3 points and 5.1 rebounds in 54 games with the Suns.

The Bucks will try to continue locking down on Kyle Korver, who missed nine of 11 from long range Friday. The All-Star owns a league-best 51.1 3-point percentage, but has totaled nine points on 3-of-13 shooting from beyond the arc in the season series.

Millsap has played well versus Milwaukee, averaging 19.5 points and 9.8 boards in five games dating to his time with Utah.

The Hawks have won their past five visits to the Bradley Center.

Milwaukee Bucks @Bucks 16m16 minutes ago

Kidd: MCW will not play this afternoon. He’s getting close to making his debut and will be evaluated again tomorrow.

Obviously we won't be facing Knight this time around, but they've gotten alot of production off the bench both the last two times we played them and this time we won't have Thabo so hopefully everyone comes out here to play and for gawd sakes lets sink some shots.

God were so weak at the rim.

I'm wondering if Bud gave them easy practices because of the tough stretch they were going through.

Weve looked bad fundamentally for a few weeks.

If he could skate a lick (and he's from Georgia so there was a good chance he can) Zaza could have singed with the Thrashers. Dude is like a hockey enforcer playing Bball lol (only half kidding)

If he could skate a lick (and he's from Georgia so there was a good chance he can) Zaza could have singed with the Thrashers. Dude is like a hockey enforcer playing Bball lol (only half kidding)

Hockey talk is prohibited in TATH haha

Just think how good we could be without him....

Not that Zaza was ever anything thing THAT special but it doesn't help Antic's case when I'm saying things like Zaza> Antic, Antic airs the cr@p out of it leading to a Zaza bucket on the other end lol. :rolleyes: