Five Things We Learned At Combine: Falcons

atljbo

No decision on NFL investigation into Georgia Dome noise: The Falcons are still waiting to hear word about the NFL's probe into why fake crowd noise was pumped into Georgia Dome over the last two seasons. A decision on the matter is expected soon, and the team faces a fine and potentially the loss of a draft pick. Dimitroff was asked if he is concerned about the potential penalties for the violation, which owner Arthur Blank confirmed occurred.

"Obviously if it affects football operations and it affects a potential draft choice, that's something that we'll have to be focused on on how we're going to deal with that," Dimitroff said. "And that's not minimizing the financial impact, if something like that comes about. We're just waiting patiently."

Quinn likes what he sees from current group of safeties: Quinn spoke highly of William Moore, Kemal Ishmael, Dwight Lowery and even Dez Southward in dissecting the current group of safeties. Moore is coming off a shoulder separation.

"I've always loved the toughness that he's played with and the tackling," Quinn said of Moore. "Really he and [ishmael] both made a big impression on me in terms tackling and effort. Kemal did a good job, too. I can't wait to get a chance to work with these guys and show them how we can feature them in this system."

Quinn likes Southward's speed and length and his versatility to play safety or corner. And Quinn is familiar with Lowery, who is set to become a free agent.

"I had a chance to work with Dwight during my time at the New York Jets, so he was actually on the team there, and I think his versatility is one of his real strengths," Quinn said of Lowery. "He's a guy he's played corner, he's played nickel, he's played deep safety, he's played down."

Dimitroff wants to see Matt Bryant re-signed soon: Kicker Matt Bryant, who becomes a free agent in March, is no doubt a priority to be re-signed. There has been dialogue between the team and Bryant's camp, but nothing substantial at this point in time.

"There's no questions that we've had a lot of discussions with Matt's people and, yeah, I think Matt's a heck of a football player and he's done some really good things for us," Dimitroff said. "Hopefully, that will come to fruition. We're anchored in there. ... We're hoping that's finished expeditiously, yes."

No set target date for Matthews return: Jake Matthews, who has surgery in January to repair a Lisfranc ligament tear in his foot, is expected to make a full recovery. Dimitroff sounded optimistic in talking about Matthews' status. Since the Falcons have a new coach in Quinn, they can begin the offseason program on April 6.

"Jake is healing very well," Dimitroff said. "He's one of those guys (who) knows his body, takes really good care of how he approaches his body. So I'm not concerned about his recovery at all. He decided to go through the procedure he went through because he thought it was the best way to get himself back healthy and ready to go at the beginning of the year. And we have no concerns that way."

When pressed on Matthews' targeted return date, Dimitroff said, "Jake will start to move around and I think he'll be in situation where we'll have to map it out through the spring and decide when he comes back when it is. We don't know right now."

Shembo on the move: Second-year player Prince Shembo struggled to make the transition to inside linebacker as a rookie. Quinn said that after viewing tape, he envisions Shembo playing outside linebacker. Shembo, who dealt with knee injuries this past season and had one knee drained, said he talked to Quinn and will be back in his comfort zone playing the same role he did during his college days at Notre Dame.