Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

direwolf

Over The Air Hd Tv - Looking For Info

7 posts in this topic

So, like most people, I'm tired of paying through the nose for TV and am casually knocking around seeing about finding a good HD antenna to stick on my roof and combine with Hulu and Netflix. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this, suggestions, advice, etc.

My viewing needs are pretty simple - networks, Fox Sports South (for Hawks/Braves games), ESPN, TBS. Note that it doesn't have to be those channels as long as I can watch the Hawks, Braves, Falcons, and Bulldogs/college football in general.

So, with that in mind, anyone got any ideas on making that happen?

Thanks!

So, like most people, I'm tired of paying through the nose for TV and am casually knocking around seeing about finding a good HD antenna to stick on my roof and combine with Hulu and Netflix. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this, suggestions, advice, etc.

My viewing needs are pretty simple - networks, Fox Sports South (for Hawks/Braves games), ESPN, TBS. Note that it doesn't have to be those channels as long as I can watch the Hawks, Braves, Falcons, and Bulldogs/college football in general.

So, with that in mind, anyone got any ideas on making that happen?

Thanks!

I don't have a roof antenna and don't live in Georgia but, I have an indoor antenna in a basement and it works well

http://store.gomohu.com/the-leaf-indoor-hdtv-antenna.html

They also sell an attic antenna. Once I'm done paying for the cable modem and dvr I paid for, I may look into that.

Something that looks interesting to me as a way to get espn without paying for cable. https://www.sling.com/. I don't have it yet but, it is brand new and if you ask me, it will be popular.

I also found a DVR that works with antenna tv. I use this, it works well. http://www.channelmaster.com/Default.asp

In addition to being able to record two channels at once, it also includes an onscreen guide (if you connect it to wifi)

Good luck with cutting the cord. I'm right there with you. Had about enough of cable homebrew.001.gif

dozer likes this

Hey, dire, I'm in the middle of experimenting with this. I'm getting 49 channels ota where I live, and that's with a $10 dinky antenna with a $16 RCA amplifier, both of which came from Wal-Mart. If the next phase works, I'll get a good antenna. I ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2ZBD1U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's arriving tomorrow. It's technically a converter for analog tv's, but this one will perform dvr functions (I'm going to try a 32gb jump drive), and, even more importantly, it actually has a hdmi out on it, so you can pass thru to your hdtv.

If that all works, I'm going to get the sling tv app with the sports package and see how it goes for a month. Keep in mind, though, that you can't dvr sling. It's streaming only.

Lastly, if all that works, I have to find a sports south solution, like you. Now, Fox sports Go will send to mobile devices, like my kindle. It's free if you have cable, so my plan is to get a login from a family benefactor to hook me up, lol. I've kept a couple of them in Sunday Ticket logins over the years, so they owe me!

I'll update as the process (haha) unfolds.

dozer likes this

So, to update from my end, Comcast is having a promotion with 50 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload with a very stripped down package of television channels (basically networks and a few others) with HBO for a year for $50/month. So, I'm signed up for that and between that, Netflix, Hulu+, Sling, and Amazon Prime, I should be set for what I want.

I'm routing through Amazon Fire TV. I like Roku, but Fire TV has better specs for gaming and a good catalog of games through Amazon, which is a peripheral thing for me that fit into the "nice to have" category since the devices were the same price.