Realistically... How Many Defensive Holes Do We Need To Fill?

halifaxfalcon

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need 2 de's, 2 or maybe 3 lb's, and another corner. I still believe that the Dt's were misused and played against there strengths. I mean who in their right mind looked at Tyson Jackson and said he would be a great pass rusher?!

Tyson Jackson can be put at LE under if Quinn plans to fully replicate the Seattle 4-3 under.

Before he left for Jacksonville 320 lb. Red Bryant was placed at LE, to the shock of many.

I think the wager was, Seattle could get pass rush from their Leo, Sam and Strong Safety, its okay if they sold-out versus the run on the left side of their line.

Worked pretty well for them in the end.

If we accomplished something such as sign Worilds and Brandon Spikes and drafted Landon Collins our defense could drastically improve.

The Falcons aren't as far away from a decent defense as some think. When Shannahan gets the ground game going and Quinn implements his defense they will compliment each other nicely.

Edited by Sui_Generis

If we accomplished something such as sign Worilds and Brandon Spikes and drafted Landon Collins our defense could drastically improve.

The Falcons aren't as far away from a decent defense as some think. When Shannahan gets the ground game going and Quinn implements his defense they will compliment each other nicely.

I think so too. Rumor is, Worilds will be a Titan though.

DE, LB- grab the DE in FA, get a stud LB/DE at 8 [ and a RB to keep the D off the field], the D will be respectable with just those 2, not great mind you, just respectable.

14 of the last 17 draft picks have been on the D, we just hired the consummate teacher as HC, lets see what we got.

Now, the good news is, if Quinn does get the youngsters on D to be good, this team will be a very good team for years.

DE, LB- grab the DE in FA, get a stud LB/DE at 8 [ and a RB to keep the D off the field], the D will be respectable with just those 2, not great mind you, just respectable.

14 of the last 17 draft picks have been on the D, we just hired the consummate teacher as HC, lets see what we got.

Now, the good news is, if Quinn does get the youngsters on D to be good, this team will be a very good team for years.

Hey whoaa wait a minute. I hates to get after ya, but here goes.

We did not just spend two miserable seasons to come up empty handed in the draft.

The ONLY way you get a decent DE in the draft is to be drafting in the top 10 and that means

your fans have paid that price IN FULL! or you pull a Dumbitroff and trade a draft away for one player.

Now what really gripes my asz is you so casually said "get a DE in FA"

You mind teliing me what DE's you are refering to and what you think the price is for a Decent DE?

To futher aggravate the point,,, Drafting the DE and landing Suh is my soloution, but that could have

a whole big bucket of fail as the end result.

Hey whoaa wait a minute. I hates to get after ya, but here goes.

We did not just spend two miserable seasons to come up empty handed in the draft.

The ONLY way you get a decent DE in the draft is to be drafting in the top 10 and that means

your fans have paid that price IN FULL! or you pull a Dumbitroff and trade a draft away for one player.

Now what really gripes my asz is you so casually said "get a DE in FA"

You mind teliing me what DE's you are refering to and what you think the price is for a Decent DE?

To futher aggravate the point,,, Drafting the DE and landing Suh is my soloution, but that could have

a whole big bucket of fail as the end result.

Well, I'd sign Hardy [ to a deal that voids completely if he's arrested for jaywalking, much less DV], but that's probably not happening.

Hughes, JPP, McPhee, Graham- not really concerned with their job title, just need players that can get after the QB.

Grab one of those four, grab a stud at 8, D is already much better off, throw in the better fundamentals and better scheme, those 2 players take the D to respectability- it's a synergistic effect, better pass rush makes the DBs look better, better run fits and tackling mean there's more 3rd and longs, which means the QB has to hold the ball a little longer.

realistically 4 MAYBE 5 depending on what we do with Peters and Lowery... if we bring them back we are ok at DT and safety.

We need another linebacker or 2 to compete /.

We need an edge rusher and a Leo type player

The thing to remember about our front 7 is we have A LOt................ and I mean A LOT of young players. We have to let some of them develop,.

We may need a nickle corner as well.

But we do not need 7 or 8 new pieces like people here think...................... especially people who would have dumped Matt Fkn Bryant for Kai Forbath.

Just having guys play more natural positions and having a scheme that makes more sense will raise the defense up 8-10 spots in the ranking.

If we can get a least a couple of 2nd tier pass rushers(not 20 sack a year player but 10-12 a year), two starting caliber linebackers(MIKE and SAM(imo make it a true open comp. to see who should start between Spoon, Paul, Shembo,ect.)), and if we can 1 secondary if unable to sign Lowery back.

Why would you want two 12 sack DE's over two 20 sack DE's ??

FS - we have one free on the roster (Soutward) and he's overhyped by TATF

WLB - we have none under contract. Tyler Starr is not an OLB

MLB - many think our MLB is a stud I think he's a dud. Too slow

SLB - may be slower than our MLB. Needs to be a good edge rusher for Quinn's defense. Not Shembo either

DE - I like Mass but we need a real edge rusher

RCB - Alf the puppet can play RCB better than Alf the Falcon

NCB - we have no nickel corner and no putting Alf there is not an option. Nickel is harder to play than the outside

So at least seven holes to fill on defense.

Ouch, that's pretty bleak. But pretty much on the money.

I do think that Alford has high potential though. Can we afford to start him the whole time it takes for him to finally realize that potential though? Dunno about that.

Alot of positions can be upgraded, but only so much can happen in one offseason. If we can find a pass rush, the back end will be okay for now. I would bring back lowery as he can be a good center fielder and cover a slot WR in a pinch.

My needs in order:

1) DE/ pass rusher - FA - OBrien Schofield. - has big potential. Giants offered him nice deal last offseason, but he was injured and didnt pass physical. Also like Morgan and Worilds. A round 1-3 draft pick should also be used here.

I could see Hageman or Babs potentially playing on the other side in Quinns scheme.

2) MLB - dont think that guy is in FA. Draft one in round two to compete with guys we have. Spruill could suprise here if healthy. Worrillow may play faster/better in Quinns 'simpler' scheme, but not banking on him.

3) WLB) this will be Spoons spot, hopefully we bring in a pick or maybe M. smith to compete here.

NB) I could see the team going after W. Thurmund here. All of ours are short and UFA, so not sure any will be back.

I would like to see Peters back at DT feeling this should be last season for Jackson and/or Soliai.

Mike or Sam. Either way we are good to move forward. I doubt Worrilow gets benched anytime soon.

Im kinda hard on Worrilow too but I dont think hes getting benched either. Who is he geting benched for?

One thing folks are not realizing is that even though we have 23 mil in cap space, there is 16 teams including legit contenders with more cap space than us. We will probbably sign one maybe two impact defensive players and the rest will be role players and scheme fits.

I gotta toss the penalty flag on this.

How does someone with 96 posts start a new topic?

It took me quite a while to get to 100.

I hate when people whine about new threads because of post count. Building a high post count by constantly spamming every thread with stupid comments like some around here do, doesn't qualify someone to make a better topic than they would without doing that. If a thread doesn't interest you, just don't read it. Don't bump it by whining about the OP's post count.

With all of the front seven deficiencies you acknowledge, how can you not see the correlation to our cb play? Alf clearly has struggled at times, but again, there's been absolutely zero pass rush. Seems a little short sighted to me.

Seems to me you need to watch some dam tape. Buddy got beat or penalized on several plays that didn't have a dam thing to do with a lack of pass rush. Didn't effect Tru. Hail Josh Wilson really wasn't affected either. Matter of fact Arenas didn't have much of an issue on the few snaps he got.

Way to not know anything about a 4-3 under. Worrilow is the perfect quick, small Will for that defense. The Sam needs to be able to cover TEs. I dislike Spoon but he has the speed to cover TEs. What we don't have is a MIKE. You need a Tampa 2 style MLB who will cover the middle of the field.

LMAO. Worrilow is slower than my dead grandmother. You need to go watch some SEA tapes. K.J. Wright played WLB and stands at 6'3 and 246 lbs. Worrilow is a 6'0" 230 lb runt who is way slower than Wright. Oh and the WLB has coverage responsibilities in Quinn's 4-3 under. Wright dropped in coverage 406 times last year. Worrilow can't cover worth a dam.

I dont get the dislike for Alford and I think that Coaching will help both our corners.

Neither are or will become elite but I consider that position to be the least pressing of

the Defensive needs.

Keep in mind that no squad is or ever will be perfect, so lemme ask you this.

(throwing gas onto the fire)

Just a thought; do you think Crispy Houston was/is bretter that Alford?

I think Alf and Crisp were about the same. Crisp turned a corner when he went to DET and turned his head. Will Alf? I don't know but with all this magical coaching I keep hearing about he should be an all pro by the time we move into the Pantheon.

Well said. We aren't that bad. And not that far away. Its amazing what a breath of fresh air coming into a team, with a scheme designed for our payers and a commitment to fundamental football will make. That's not saying we couldn't use a few players. A solid veteran pass rusher, a good young LBer that is able to put his hands in the sand and maybe a veteran defensive back. The cupboard is not bare.

Not if he keeps getting picked on by every QB we play.

Think Alford is going to be one of the players that benefit the most from Quinn. The emphasis on fundamentals is going to help him as much as anyone and putting him in a simpler, more aggressive scheme is going to cut down considerably on his mistakes.

And, you know from your centuries of watching football, that the 3rd year is when many players really take off.

Think Alford is going to be one of the players that benefit the most from Quinn. The emphasis on fundamentals is going to help him as much as anyone and putting him in a simpler, more aggressive scheme is going to cut down considerably on his mistakes.

And, you know from your centuries of watching football, that the 3rd year is when many players really take off.

I hope so man. I don't want to see anymore high round Dimi bust picks. Not one.